Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300619 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5825 on: 31 December, 2015, 08:25:10 pm »
Lindor truffles are great for domestic 'Easter egg' hunts.
Hide them in pairs in various drawers and crannies.
David is usually still unearthing them at the Summer Solstice...

I discovered 2 chocolate coins in David's bedside desk tidy about 4 days ago.
I think they were leftovers from Christmas 2014 that I 'hid' for Easter 2015.

Astronomers are observant...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5826 on: 01 January, 2016, 12:55:40 pm »
No weight to declare today.
GN: I can now wear M&S size 14 trousers. I wore size 14 from M&S when I was 18.
BN: In 1976 a size 14 fitted a 26" waist and 38" hip.
In 2013 size 14 fits a 31" waist and 41" hip.
Vanity sizing FFS! That must represent 6kg fat!

As it's New Year's Day, I am reviewing some old posts.

I am wearing those trousers today; they are MUCH too big! They would fall down if I stood up with stuffs in the pockets. The waistband is about 6 inches too big...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5827 on: 01 January, 2016, 03:30:56 pm »
They also demonstrate how pointless our struggles are. Not one of us has lost and kept off any weight of significance.

I did not enter my weight into the tables for 2012, which I started at 74kg (though I did state on posts that was my weight at the time).
I started 2013 at 66kg and am approximately 63kg now.

That is significant for me.

This one has...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5828 on: 01 January, 2016, 11:38:54 pm »
Seem to have dropped a kilo over the past fortnight.
Used a tape measure for the first time in aeons last night.
40-32-44
The XL yacf T-shirt that's on its way may not be big enough but I really aren't a giant!

More work needed!

I'm looking back on 2012. (David always says I'm living in the past.)

My hips and waist are down 4 inches and I'm 12kg less than January 2012.

Slow progress is NOT no progress!

I've not measured my bust but waist is now 27.5 (70cm) and hips are now 38.5 (98cm)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5829 on: 02 January, 2016, 12:28:43 am »
Since dieting is basically a failed way to lose weight over the long term I'd be interested in seeing if our numbers back that up.
This thread has been running since 2008.Would any of you, who have been trying to lose weight in this period, care to post:
1) Start Weight
2) Year
3) Current Weight.
Good luck with your own plans everyone, I know how tough (impossible?) it can be. 
Just be reminded that your brain is doing every single thing it can to stop you from losing weight.
Start Weight:  74kg (11st 9lb)   January 2012
                     66.5kg               January 2013
                     63.5 kg              January 2014
                     61.0 kg              December 2014   
                                NEW SCALES
                     62.7kg               January 2015
                     61.3kg               January 2016

So there has been little recorded weight loss last year but my bum is still shrinking.
This not failure; it is slow progress.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5830 on: 02 January, 2016, 11:56:18 am »
Well done, helly, you're an example to us all. You're probably at the point where further drastic weight loss would be unhealthy, so I guess the hard part for you now is maintaining current weight.

Weight on 1st Jan:
2010 - 89kg
2011 - 79kg
2012 - 75kg
2013 - 70kg
2014 - 71kg
2015 - 73kg
2016 - 80kg

2010 was the year I realised I really needed to do something about my weight and general health. I have never 'dieted' as such, but aimed to be more careful about quantity and quality. I also got into a good exercise regime. By summer 2013, I was the fittest I've ever been as an adult (since my early 20s at least).

2014 and 2015 weren't good years for my health, and the numbers reflect that. A lot of that is down to external factors affecting my personal circumstances but that just goes to show how hard it is to maintain the high level of self-discipline needed to keep fit and slim. I was briefly down to 66kg but that was hard work. Getting back to (and maintaining) around 70kg would be a sensible goal for me.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5831 on: 02 January, 2016, 11:37:59 pm »
After a very ropy year for my health, I really really need to get serious about this again.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5832 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:27:13 am »
I think I am fatter than I have ever been, and I have always been a fat git, right from primary school. I have had a few spells in the intervening half-century when I have not been overweight, but they have been few and far between, most notably when I lost 3 stone in 3 weeks when I contracted mumps as a 29-year-old. When I returned to teaching after those 3 weeks of absence the kids gave me a new epithet: "Skinny".

It is now at the serious stage in which I have to consider one stark fact: a 61-year-old morbidly obese bloke is doing his chances of reaching 70 no good at all.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5833 on: 03 January, 2016, 01:13:35 pm »
Good luck Wow!

I am not really fighting the same sort of battle, I suppose. I was thin till my late teens and heavy, though not huge - about 11 stone/70kg for the next 35 years.

'We're all in it together' says she, about to spend three nights at a Premier Inn...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5834 on: 03 January, 2016, 01:47:31 pm »
It is now at the serious stage in which I have to consider one stark fact: a 61-year-old morbidly obese bloke is doing his chances of reaching 70 no good at all.

This. I'm not morbidly obese - but 92kg at 174cm is well into obese. My problem is that for most of my life I've been both fairly slim and pretty fit as a function of military life. Airline life is perforce sedentary and has access to great food in ridiculous quantities, both in the air and on the ground. Yet my inbuilt body-image is still of a slim, young man. I ignore mirrors - I don't avoid them, I just don't recognise the image as me! But the scales don't lie, and nor do the clothes. I used to be regarded as fairly attractive, but now I'm a fat, old git. The old git I can't do anything about (and I'm not really a git!), bit the 'fat' bit I can change. I won't ever be the lady-bait I once was, at least in my own imagination, but I would like to look at the numbers and not shudder.

« Reply #5835 on: 03 January, 2016, 09:59:12 pm »
I think I am fatter than I have ever been, and I have always been a fat git, right from primary school. I have had a few spells in the intervening half-century when I have not been overweight, but they have been few and far between, most notably when I lost 3 stone in 3 weeks when I contracted mumps as a 29-year-old. When I returned to teaching after those 3 weeks of absence the kids gave me a new epithet: "Skinny".

You may look at the see-saw that is me and my weight and wonder who am I to lecture, but here goes anyhow.

I used to use a line in jest: "I come from a long line of fat gits, my dad was a fat git and his dad before him". Which, in itself stands true, but is a singularly unhelpful self image. Over the years it became less and less funny, as the weight crept upwards. Dieting was not helping me at all. I finally came up with a strategy, a version of what I used when I went from being an 80 a day smoker to a non-smoker. It still helps me to lose weight easily. What I did was to change that visualisation, and stop thinking of myself as a fat git, regardless of the physical evidence. Instead I think of myself as a thin person, doing and eating what thin people do. I find it very powerful indeed, there is no need to calorie count, no need to abstain from any food/s (this system works very well with Paul McKenna's "I can make you thin"). As it happens, I do abstain from alcohol most times, because I find that weakens my resolution such that it all goes to pot, but I still have a drink now and then.

Don't know if it would help you, but happy to chat if it would help.

Chris N

« Reply #5836 on: 04 January, 2016, 01:25:56 pm »
I need to lose some weight. :(  I've got a pair of jeans somewhere that I never want to have to wear again - a 38" waist, bought when I finished uni fifteen years ago (too much beer, not enough exercise). Done it before, mostly just by riding my bike lots and got down to 75kg or thereabouts with a 32" waist (I'm 5' 11").  My jeans are getting a bit tight now, after 3 years of relative inactivity - though I haven't weighed myself.

I think we eat pretty healthily so no major changes to diet except for no more sugar in coffee, drink more water, less alcohol and no more late-night snacking.  More importantly, more bike riding - at least 2 commutes (40 mile round trip) per week, and one other ride per week.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5837 on: 04 January, 2016, 07:05:16 pm »
Reached 87kg before Christmas, for the first time in my life, courtesy of insane workload and consequent comfort eating.  Noticed it up the hills on my pre-Christmas ride.  Was careful over Christmas and weighed in at 86.5kg on January 1st, so am aiming for a snack free January to see if I can gradually shed the excess.  Only need to get down to 82kg but failed to reach this at all last year, even after PBP.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5838 on: 04 January, 2016, 09:40:30 pm »
I won't be weighing myself this week.
I am dining on the South Coast, visiting partner's parent.

simonp

« Reply #5839 on: 05 January, 2016, 02:02:30 am »
Got new ACB jerseys, large size. Fits well. Bah.

« Reply #5840 on: 05 January, 2016, 12:38:25 pm »
The lightest I've been since this thread began was 69kg (back when alternate day fasting was all the rage), the heaviest was 83kg, I'm now at 77kg and heading downwards slowly again.

essexian

« Reply #5841 on: 05 January, 2016, 05:21:18 pm »
Started the new year (well today when I weighed myself for the first time this week) at my lowest weight in around 25 years at 104.8kg. That's down from the 127.8kg I was on the 24th September last when I started on my gastric band plus diet effort.

My hope for the year is to get down to 80Kg.... I think I was last that weight when I lived in South Woodford back in 1980... and then I felt so fat I used to go to Weight Watchers!

So basically....sorry about the poor English... I am around half way to my overall target. Whilst having the gastric band fitted does help, it still takes will power and the effort to stay away from snacks and stuff you know you shouldn't eat....like peanut butter and mayo....sob.

« Reply #5842 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:06:17 am »
new year. new effort. I lost 6 kg  in tge eatlyish part of last year and then as a result of a lack of willpower and a lack of cycle commuting (but still eating as if I were cycling regularly) I regained it plus a bit more. I know BMI is a bit rubbish but I'm slap bang in the the middle of overweight at 82kg and 169.5 cm.
So I've started the new year with no booze (an easyish calorie win) and trying to eat better food and smaller portions and no naughty snacking. And more cycling.
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #5843 on: 06 January, 2016, 04:25:59 pm »
Whilst having the gastric band fitted does help, it still takes will power and the effort to stay away from snacks and stuff you know you shouldn't eat....like peanut butter and mayo....sob.
I eat peanut butter and mayo while losing weight.

It's really not the fat, it's the sugar that lards you up

So I've started the new year with no booze (an easyish calorie win)
I wish. Not being a drinker it makes absolutely no difference to me. Mr Smith always loses loads in January by bypassing the wine aisle. To get the same results I have to bypass the whole goddam shop.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5844 on: 06 January, 2016, 06:31:04 pm »
Greetings from Christchurch, Dorset!
This pub/Premier Inn place is rather obesogenic for anyone without a Will of Steel. I chose one bowl of porridge, a small pastry and coffee for my £6.99 Continental Breakfast.
I am the sort to subsidise the Teethgrinders of the world.

I really wish I could just order my evening meal from the kids' menu; both the portion sizes and the dishes on offer seemed much more suited to my desires!

« Reply #5845 on: 06 January, 2016, 06:38:13 pm »
I really wish I could just order my evening meal from the kids' menu; both the portion sizes and the dishes on offer seemed much more suited to my desires!

You could always ask.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5846 on: 06 January, 2016, 06:45:01 pm »
I could ask but the small print on the kids' menu is quite age-specific.

« Reply #5847 on: 06 January, 2016, 06:57:00 pm »
I started the new year very poorly and on high dose steroids- so I am officially not going to weigh myself yet. On second thoughts- maybe I should so I can get a nice high point to start from  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5848 on: 06 January, 2016, 07:00:08 pm »
Get Well Soon Feline!

simonp

« Reply #5849 on: 06 January, 2016, 07:08:51 pm »
The scales are broken anyway.