Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300559 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5975 on: 02 March, 2016, 10:32:34 am »
Weight up from last week. Haven't recovered from taking my foot off the brakes at the weekend.

Increased appetite in evening too. Was attempting to snack on licorice in the office during the day, but probably didn't manage it well enough causing a blood sugar spike and crash. Will knock that on the head then, and try go cold turkey on office snacking.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #5976 on: 02 March, 2016, 10:36:42 am »
I'm still at the same point as Saturday's weight watchers weigh in:(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5977 on: 02 March, 2016, 12:32:14 pm »
I'm still at the same point as Saturday's weight watchers weigh in:(

Look at your progress since 1 Jan; you're one of the few to consistently lose anything.

Chin up!

lou boutin

« Reply #5978 on: 02 March, 2016, 01:59:40 pm »
Thanks. At least I haven't gained (yet!!) and I'm nearly 10lbs down, just another 11lbs to go.

« Reply #5979 on: 02 March, 2016, 02:21:48 pm »
I am now down to between 11 stone 13.8 and 12stone0.8.  I generally with a diet get down to this stage and then stick.  it may be psychological but I get the impression that there is a body homeostat which thinks 12 stone is "right" for me and works very hard to stop me going below this.  However this time I WILL win.

Does anybody else recognise the concept?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5980 on: 02 March, 2016, 02:43:14 pm »
I get the impression that there is a body homeostat which thinks 12 stone is "right" for me and works very hard to stop me going below this... Does anybody else recognise the concept?

Totally. When I was at peak fitness a few years ago, my target weight was 64kg. But once I got down to 67kg, I found shifting those last 3kg impossible.

I think homeostasis for me is achieved somewhere around 70kg. I'm currently 79kg but know I could easily shift 6kg or more if I really put my mind to it - the reason I'm finding it hard to lose some of the excess at the moment is stress related to work and family matters (perhaps exacerbated by immoderate alcohol consumption) rather than my body being happy in its current flabby state.  ::-)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #5981 on: 02 March, 2016, 02:44:18 pm »
It's not an unheard of concept, for sure.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5982 on: 02 March, 2016, 03:47:14 pm »
I thought my homeostat was around 70kg and was 68-70kg from around the age of 19-50.

After Taking Myself In Hand at 74kg (I blame a Parisian croissant habit) I have gone down to 62kg or so.

I might not be able to budge from there but have stopped weighing myself for a while.

« Reply #5983 on: 02 March, 2016, 06:20:44 pm »
I'm not sure I believe this week's drop but...

We're coming to the end of a 'weight loss challenge' at work. Five teams of five-ish 'competing' to lose weight over a six week period.
The team who loses the biggest percentage of their total body mass each week gets a prize of some fruit.
We won this week, for the first time. I was expecting a couple of pieces of fruit each, but it was a Riverford box with, in my case, three bananas, six apples, five satsumas and two oranges! We'll have to do very well to be the overall winners next week, but a little bit of success is always nice.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #5984 on: 04 March, 2016, 04:24:30 pm »
I am now down to between 11 stone 13.8 and 12stone0.8.  I generally with a diet get down to this stage and then stick.  it may be psychological but I get the impression that there is a body homeostat which thinks 12 stone is "right" for me and works very hard to stop me going below this.  However this time I WILL win.

Does anybody else recognise the concept?

Yes, also eye off the ball and on it goes again.   back up in the do NOT want to be here region.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #5985 on: 04 March, 2016, 05:07:31 pm »
First time on the scales for ages - weight is up at 76kg at the mo'. I had been trying to up my protein intake, and combined with steroids, I'm heavier than I've felt in ages. This, despite having given up alcohol 7 months ago. It appears that no matter how much I cycle, I need to remain careful about how much I eat.

I'd like to be back down to 70kg by the 4th week in April. Will be tough.

Managed to get down to 74kg over January by cycling 500km+ a week. Had my hernia op, and suspect that I'll drop a load whilst recovering. My belly is currently full of the CO2 they fill you up with to do keyhole. I feel completely full. I suspect there's a weight loss trick there. Put a port in people and let them fill themselves up with CO2 canisters.

Codeine proved to be quite the appetite suppressant. I'm back on the bike and the scales this morning read 69.3kg 68.4kg. That's over a kilo a week since my op.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5986 on: 05 March, 2016, 01:46:37 pm »
After a long weekend with pies, fish 'n' chip and a good sprinkle of Ales, I'm up by a pound.

The mutt is down by another kg so only one to go.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5987 on: 06 March, 2016, 10:02:26 pm »
David has just made himself a smoothie.
I always lose weight when he makes a smoothie cos he then tends to eat less (and we always eat together) and cleaning the Magimix consumes calories...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5988 on: 09 March, 2016, 08:20:33 am »
Same as last week, which is pretty gratifying considering that the weekend involved takeaway curry, beer, a birthday bash, more beer and a b&b style full English. I have had three left-over bottles of Timothy Taylor Landlord and Old Peculier since Friday, and I have resisted the temptation to drink them. I will probably have one or more at the weekend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #5989 on: 09 March, 2016, 10:02:43 am »
I've not even glanced at the scales these past few weeks. I know damn fine I'm piling weight on.

Not sure exactly when I'll summon the resolve to do something about it, but I'll need to take action soon...
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #5990 on: 09 March, 2016, 10:20:03 am »
Had a 20 oz steak on Monday, so that caused a blip on Tuesday. I'm beginning to see more muscle definition in places, so I have a feeling I'm losing fat, but my fat scales that work on electrical resistance vary wildly. When the weather warms up, I'll have to start adding more exercise to my regime, but remember not to overcompensate.

I'm in a fitbit battle with my brother about weight and steps, but I find that that logging in here too, is helping keep me accountable for my weight.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #5991 on: 09 March, 2016, 05:53:44 pm »
I've not even glanced at the scales these past few weeks. I know damn fine I'm piling weight on.

Not sure exactly when I'll summon the resolve to do something about it, but I'll need to take action soon...

I know that feeling. Been having a go at the chocs as well

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5992 on: 10 March, 2016, 02:22:00 pm »
Finally weighed myself last night.
I am no heavier and might be lighter but it might be 'noise'.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #5993 on: 10 March, 2016, 03:39:17 pm »
I know that feeling. Been having a go at the chocs as well

;D Aye. Snap!
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5994 on: 10 March, 2016, 05:16:54 pm »
We finished our Christmas chocs yesterday.
Not long till Easter!

lou boutin

« Reply #5995 on: 13 March, 2016, 11:40:07 am »
I've fallen off the waggon. I gained 1.5lb but have now lost 0.5lb. Just another lb until I'm back to where I was and can start lose again. 

« Reply #5996 on: 16 March, 2016, 04:24:41 pm »
Over halfway to my first weightloss goal, 4kg down, 4kg to go. Letting myself have the afternoon off with a few packs of Frazzles.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5997 on: 16 March, 2016, 06:59:37 pm »
Getting nowhere fast.
Not gaining, not overweight, immobile.
Losing a bit more would be nice but it might not happen.

« Reply #5998 on: 17 March, 2016, 06:41:58 am »
Getting nowhere fast.
Not gaining, not overweight, immobile.
Losing a bit more would be nice but it might not happen.

Eat less.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5999 on: 17 March, 2016, 09:25:36 am »
Hmmmm..If this continues it's going to get expensive, I seem to have lost over 5kg since before Christmas and now look like I shop for clothes at tents r us. The last time I was less than 12 stone with a 32 inch waist I was an 18 yo full time farm labourer. Still can't get back in those jeans though due to stupid sized thighs  8)