Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300767 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6050 on: 19 April, 2016, 10:55:55 am »
Working too well for me. Overshot a bit, and now find myself at BMI 18.5. Maintenance is tougher than losing weight for me. Am trying not to yoyo, so am carefully adding quality calories, aware that I have a heavy / light cycle. So long as I stay BMI 18.5 - 19.5 I'm happy.

That recent article in CW on losing weight / losing power is my recent experience, albeit confounded with a chest infection. However, as usual, hills now feel super easy, and I have basically stopped sweating when I ride <150bpm. Those two things are the only positives I can get out of being skinny. Otherwise, I don't think it's that easy a sell. Being hefty didn't suit me, but having gained and lost weight, it seems like there is about a 10kg window where people call me skinny, even though my waist might change by 4".

Chris S

« Reply #6051 on: 19 April, 2016, 11:07:20 am »
Wow - excellent Before/After pics  :thumbsup:. You need to lift some weights and eat some steak & butter.

For my part, I've lost 10cm from my waist since New Year.

simonp

« Reply #6052 on: 19 April, 2016, 11:08:18 am »
People call me "skinny" when I have a BMI of 23.7 as of right now. Subjective judgments like that are distorted by comparisons to an overweight, sedentary population.

« Reply #6053 on: 19 April, 2016, 11:35:48 am »
Wow - excellent Before/After pics  :thumbsup:. You need to lift some weights and eat some steak & butter.

I'm pretty much vegan. I'm highly atopic, and find dairy makes me a bit worse (in the order of magnitude that Powerbreathe makes me a bit better - did you get one? I reckon it's worth about 7% of my Peak Flow).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6054 on: 19 April, 2016, 11:38:28 am »
People call me "skinny" when I have a BMI of 23.7 as of right now. Subjective judgments like that are distorted by comparisons to an overweight, sedentary population.

Very true but a BMI of 23.7 isn't very much for a tall chap.

Being stuck in a wheelchair makes 'waist' level close to my eye level. The general population is very heavy round the middle!

Chris S

« Reply #6055 on: 19 April, 2016, 11:41:59 am »

I'm pretty much vegan. I'm highly atopic, and find dairy makes me a bit worse (in the order of magnitude that Powerbreathe makes me a bit better - did you get one? I reckon it's worth about 7% of my Peak Flow).

I did, but then the consultant I was seeing said "Get rid of it - it won't help COPD and may well make it worse." Something about Powerbreathe devices helping with breathing IN and diaphragm discipline, but they actively don't help with problems in breathing OUT - which is what Emphysema is all about. There are better exercises for COPD; deep nasal belly-breathing for example.

« Reply #6056 on: 19 April, 2016, 11:53:58 am »
Ah - sorry about that. Yes, I think they probably do help in more than out. I'm v. tempted by the top of the range one, to see what's going on.

Just need to clear this fucking evil pocket of infection that's dogging me. 2nd week on steroids and antibiotics and I'm all emotional and pressure of speech, without the fun steroid effects. Actually, infection usually leads to quick weight loss - may be why I've overshot so readily.

Feel really shit (boo hoo blub blub blub). Still Rapha outlet sale in Leeds coming up, and I'm am looking like a skinny motherfucker, so may treat myself to cheer myself up. Prices sound crazy cheap.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6057 on: 19 April, 2016, 01:33:24 pm »
Being stuck in a wheelchair makes 'waist' level close to my eye level. The general population is very heavy round the middle!

The population has become very heavy round the middle.

This picture shows Brenda, a mother of two, in 1953.

You just don't see waistlines like that now!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #6058 on: 19 April, 2016, 01:46:33 pm »
Yebbut, I'd be amazed if there wasn't a stout foundation garment lurking in that there picture.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6059 on: 19 April, 2016, 02:04:17 pm »
Even a stout foundation garment has to squish its contents somewhere. Substance cannot just disappear. It would not seem to have been displaced upwards and there are limits to how much squishing a corset can do.

I see no displaced rolls anywhere.

« Reply #6060 on: 19 April, 2016, 06:26:32 pm »
Back in 2003 I managed to lose over 5 stone, dropping from 17 to 11 and a bit at my lightest although it stabilised at around 12 stone. My first post on the old C+ forum was about that.
Since then about half of that has gone back on. This year I have been between 13-7 and 13-13. Someone at work complimented me the other day on how well I'd done over the long term.
Let's think about that in BMI terms. I'm around 5'11". Max BMI was 33.2, 12 stone is 23.4 and my current 13-8 gives 26.4.
The point being that the last, current, figure is overweight, but people still think I look thin. I could be nine and a half stone before the formula says I'm underweight. That's how much perceptions have changed. (FWIW I think I would look skeletal if I were under 11 stone.)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #6061 on: 19 April, 2016, 07:34:56 pm »
Mine is 23.9 just in the ok range.  However losing 2 kg more, makes me appear gaunt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6062 on: 19 April, 2016, 09:45:44 pm »
Partner's brother is close to 6ft and weighs 9 stone.
He does NOT look skeletal - thin yes, gaunt no, skeletal - DEFINITELY NOT!
We have normalised obesity to an enormous degree.

When I was in my first year at university, we did much body measurement of the class.
At 11 stone (70kg), I was one of the fattest women BMI 25.

40 years on, that seems quite light by British standards for 5'6" (168cm).
I'm a bit shorter and lighter now.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #6063 on: 19 April, 2016, 10:30:22 pm »
62.4 kgs when I got back from a ride today...

BMI 21.3

Not gaunt, but at 59.something kgs I had a few comments...
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6064 on: 20 April, 2016, 07:47:00 am »
How the fuck is it even possible to put on 3kg in one week? I know I have been away for the weekend, but my aching muscles are testament to the amount of really hard exercise I have done.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6065 on: 20 April, 2016, 09:09:59 am »
Injured muscles SWELL. Your achy muscles are swollen and contain more water than usual. It will piss pass.
Fret not!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #6066 on: 20 April, 2016, 09:13:43 am »
I agree with Helly..

More than that I have exhaustive records of my weight, linked to records of my rides, and for a day or three after a hard long ride, I can see my weight go up, whilst my body rebuilds...

Worry not !!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6067 on: 20 April, 2016, 10:06:20 am »
Injured muscles SWELL. Your achy muscles are swollen and contain more water than usual. It will piss pass.
Fret not!

This is in line with my post Audax weight.

I know I permanently lose about 1lb for every 100km, so 6lb for a 600km Audax but my weight increases by about the same amount for about 3-4 days afterwards.

It takes about 5-6 days for the calorie deficit weight loss to kick in and the fluid retention weight gain to pass out.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6068 on: 22 April, 2016, 10:24:24 pm »
Just bought some Castelli 3/4. Given I'm currently down at BMI 18.5 with a 28" waist and am looking thin enough to worry my colleagues, you'd think I'd be a medium, right? Not a chance. Can barely put them on. Back they go.

Castelli sizing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

« Reply #6069 on: 23 April, 2016, 07:38:07 pm »
I know.  I am BMI of 23, 6 foot tall and 11 stone 11.  I take XXL in their winter rain proof bibs.!  Even in Assos I am only large.

« Reply #6070 on: 27 April, 2016, 06:59:20 pm »
Grr! Had an 'official' weigh in at work on Monday. Did the check for YACF this morning. Four pounds up!  ??? :o
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6071 on: 27 April, 2016, 07:27:12 pm »
I weigh exactly the same as at the start of the year.

Chris S

« Reply #6072 on: 28 April, 2016, 11:20:43 am »
I think I've nudged myself off a plateau with a return to 5:2 fasting. I'd forgotten how much of a "high" you get on fast days - more so if you're already in ketosis through diet - turns out there's probably an explanation.

« Reply #6073 on: 01 May, 2016, 12:16:47 pm »

So a weird side effect of getting the weight down to colleague worrying levels - couple of my lipoma have disappeared.

Going for body composition assessment on Wednesday with bodpod rather than DEXA. Suspect body fat percentage will start with a 6 or 7. The guy who runs the lab is this guy :

https://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/profile/1300/948/john_edward__blundell_

He's been down at 7%/BF from running in his time (he's mid 70s is, but still runs). I asked whether I was putting myself at risk getting down to BMI18.5 rather than 19. He said he couldn't tell from BMI, but there was nothing wrong with maintaining 7% body fat (what DEXA said I was).

Hills are easier than headwinds now. Garmin vivosmart hr + edge 520 + Garmin index + my fitness pal all in to Garmin mobile connect makes it very easy to maintain weight. I've just added a few hundred calories to my allowance, and weight is nice and steady, whereas previously I've found I yo yo when doing big distances.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #6074 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:34:27 am »
After a month of being away in much nicer places than usual, and when at home looking after aged father rather than getting out on a bike - or even going for a walk - my weight has gone up from 90.6kg to 94.7. Most dischuffed, and quite disgusted with myself.