Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300488 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6100 on: 12 May, 2016, 09:50:42 am »
Just started posted my weight on the tracking thread again.

I win! Woo hoo!  :thumbsup:

1 hulver is currently weighing in at

138kg
or
2.24 hellymedics
2.1 DrMekons
1.69 fboabs
1.62 Chris Ss
1.51 Hams

;D
I like the idea of alternative weight measurements, a bit like the eponymous 'football pitches' and 'double-decker buses'. 'Mekons' has a good sound to it.

Until recently I was  1.3 Mekons (or approximately 1 ChrisS which sounds good until you know I'm about 4" shorter than Chris). Topiramate, the epilepsy drug of choice, is also a weight-loss drug, and I'm currently shrinking at about 700gm per week. So now about 1.21 Mekons.

I guess this is good in some ways - I don't have to go shopping for new trousers (was down to 3 pairs that would fasten up).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6101 on: 12 May, 2016, 11:06:50 am »
I'm back up at 67/68kg post 400km audax eating.

Wow - do I feel better than I did a 64 (awful) 65 (weak). I think my sweetspot is somewhere between 66 and 68. Certainly low 18bmi is too low for me to feel good on a bike anywhere other than the steepest hills. No power whatsoever. Honestly though, at 64 I floated up Norwood like it wasn't even there. Elsewhere, I felt cold and weak ALL.THE.TIME.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6102 on: 12 May, 2016, 11:21:13 am »
I weigh 1.9 slim adults.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #6103 on: 12 May, 2016, 04:05:25 pm »
Am resisting the box of chocolate brownies and other assorted goodies, but gosh its hard!

« Reply #6104 on: 12 May, 2016, 07:10:32 pm »
So about 18 months ago I was the heaviest I've ever been - 120 kg - and I realised things had to change. Id always been a rake-thin teenager, but after university I stopped doing any sport, and my weight crept slowly up. It then started to crank upwards because, with preemie newborn twins, I was getting basically zero sleep, and was powering through with caffeine, sugar, and junk food. Thankfully at this point I also started cycle-commuting, and rediscovered cycling as something I loved doing. I also started taking a kettlebells class at my work gym, and, with sensible eating, my weight came down to about 104 kg. Unfortunately 6 months ago we moved cross-country again for my OH's job, and I became the primary carer for my girls. Though I do a lot of walking, I no longer have my daily commute, and I was eating too many cakes and snacks between meals. My weight had gone up to almost 115 kg again. Over the past few weeks, I've been watching what I eat again and have restarted my kettlebells regime; my weight's down to about 111 kg, and I intend to stay on this trajectory. My goal is to try and get to sub-100 kg by the end of the year; ideally I'd like to get to an ultimate weight of under 90 kg, which at 6'5" would put me in the middle of the healthy BMI range, but obviously this will take some time, as there's a lot to lose. I thought I'd post in this thread for the first time to try and lay down a marker for myself.

« Reply #6105 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:35:51 pm »
Hi Jakob
There will be many people who will be able to help more than I can but just want to say welcome to the thread and well done so far.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6106 on: 12 May, 2016, 10:30:02 pm »
Welcome, good luck and don't let short-term setbacks turn into long-term disasters.
We've all been there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6107 on: 16 May, 2016, 03:07:27 pm »
I usually weigh myself just before bed, as the scales are by my partner's bedside and I don't want to disturb him but do want consistency.
I was 60.4 kg, which is a little lighter.
I had the opportunity to use the scales this morning and recorded 59.7kg.
I might be losing weight, after all...

« Reply #6108 on: 16 May, 2016, 06:49:23 pm »
I started adding soy protein isolate to my diet. I don't feel like I'm bulking up so much as carrying a kilo of poo around. I suspect this is the mechanism by which protein has its satiety effect - you feel utterly backed up

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

simonp

« Reply #6109 on: 16 May, 2016, 07:03:32 pm »
Gradual downwards trend emerges from the noise.

Trend by SimonP2006, on Flickr

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6110 on: 16 May, 2016, 09:40:35 pm »
After this weekend I can only have added to my body mass, loads off food and beer and no dog walking. Though the good news is that the kilt I made in 2013 for a wedding was about three inches too big for the wedding this past weekend :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6111 on: 18 May, 2016, 06:50:21 pm »
I might have lost a trivial amount of weight.
Hulver has lost 3kg in the last fortnight, which is an impressive start. hope you keep going, mate!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #6112 on: 19 May, 2016, 11:22:03 am »
I might have lost a trivial amount of weight.
Hulver has lost 3kg in the last fortnight, which is an impressive start. hope you keep going, mate!

Mostly water I recn'.

Nice to see a dip in the scale though.

« Reply #6113 on: 19 May, 2016, 12:39:52 pm »
O/T

I guess this is good in some ways - I don't have to go shopping for new trousers (was down to 3 pairs that would fasten up).

Which makes me think I probably do need to go shopping since I only own three pairs of trousers

On no ...four.. I have a suit

Chris S

« Reply #6114 on: 19 May, 2016, 12:43:35 pm »
I've now lost 12cm from my waist since New Year; there are at least three pairs of jeans now relegated to "long-term storage".

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6115 on: 19 May, 2016, 01:11:43 pm »
*All* my trousers are too large on the waist. I have relatively large hips and spend all day sitting so it doesn't really matter. M&S vanity sizing has compounded the issue. I need to wear trousers with elastic waistbands for disability reasons. The ones that fit the hips are about 3" too big at the unstretched waist and trousers from a few years ago are a joke...
...but you don't see this in my wheelchair.

« Reply #6116 on: 19 May, 2016, 02:40:15 pm »
Having a 1940s hourglass figure with added thigh lard makes this an issue for me, too. As I don't spend all day in a wheel chair everyone can see I have trousers that fit badly at the waist or the arse. Cheaper trousers are worst- if they fit at the backside they're too narrow in the leg and too wide at the waist.
This isn't 'vanity sizing', it's a fair reflection of the shape of most larger women, they have (relatively) slender legs and wider waists. I don't.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6117 on: 19 May, 2016, 03:03:28 pm »
M&S vanity sizing has increased waist provision by 5 inches for a given size since 1976.
And I found M&S sizing too tight for the hips then.
My waist has expanded since I was a teenager anyway but not by that much.

« Reply #6118 on: 19 May, 2016, 06:20:37 pm »
Right, not posted on this bit OTP before.... but anyway:

Usually my weight is in the 94-98kg range (I'm 187cm), and has been stable for about a decade now. OK, aside from the spike to 100-102kg around the time of my youngest's birth (he's 8 ). Managed to break my leg over Easter (don't ask - utterly pathetic story  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[) and had to have it fixed with some external metalwork. Ilizarov frame. Google it - not pretty.  :-\ Which means no cycling for some months.... and a near certainty of losing both muscle mass and CVS fitness.

So I thought I'd best lose some lard along with the muscle. Straightforward calorie counting seems to be the thing that suits me best, since it allows me to vary what I eat. Also, the whole "high fat" or"keto" or "paleo" diet still leaves me peckish even after a 1500 kCal meal. So I'm ending up taking  most of my food as relatively low calorie-density carbs, with lots of semi-skimmed milk and/or fat free yoghurt for the calcium.

Bit difficult to work out how much I weigh now, given that I have this thing pinned to my leg. But the combo of said thing and I weighed in at 91 kg this morning. My shirts are a bit looser round the shoulders and given that I walk with crutches, shoulders are the one bit of me where I think I won't lose muscle. So i think I have lost at least some lard. So far so good.

Target is 85kg by August, when thing becomes a lamp shade (hopefully...)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6119 on: 19 May, 2016, 06:52:28 pm »
I would be very surprised if the thing weighs more than a kilogram. You can weigh it before turning it into a lamp shade but might as well just ignore it for now.
Collar fit is a good indication of body fat. Can you remember your previous shirt sizes?
Good luck with losing another 6kg!
Welcome to the club!

« Reply #6120 on: 20 May, 2016, 06:22:50 am »
It's three 200mm rings (4mm stainless) and 8 M8 bolts, so I'm sure I can do a mock-up if I was so inclined. But you're right, it's negligible compared to my belly.

« Reply #6121 on: 20 May, 2016, 08:45:58 am »

Usually my weight is in the 94-98kg range (I'm 187cm), and has been stable for about a decade now. OK, aside from the spike to 100-102kg around the time of my youngest's birth (he's 8 ). Managed to break my leg over Easter (don't ask - utterly pathetic story  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[) and had to have it fixed with some external metalwork. Ilizarov frame. Google it - not pretty.  :-\ Which means no cycling for some months.... and a near certainty of losing both muscle mass and CVS fitness.

So I thought I'd best lose some lard along with the muscle. Straightforward calorie counting seems to be the thing that suits me best, since it allows me to vary what I eat. Also, the whole "high fat" or"keto" or "paleo" diet still leaves me peckish even after a 1500 kCal meal. So I'm ending up taking  most of my food as relatively low calorie-density carbs, with lots of semi-skimmed milk and/or fat free yoghurt for the calcium.

Bit difficult to work out how much I weigh now, given that I have this thing pinned to my leg. But the combo of said thing and I weighed in at 91 kg this morning. My shirts are a bit looser round the shoulders and given that I walk with crutches, shoulders are the one bit of me where I think I won't lose muscle. So i think I have lost at least some lard. So far so good.

Fantastic work (not on the metal work, obviously.

Your approach sounds very Barbara Rolls - volumetric diet. Her ex PhD student is a prof in my dept. Her work on Nicola Buckland on automatic processes and her work with Graham Finlayson on satiety might be interesting. Her main tip to me was include low calorie density crunchy foods in your diet, as this tires your jaw and makes you feel fuller.

https://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/profile/1300/947/professor_marion_hetherington/publications

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6122 on: 20 May, 2016, 12:32:32 pm »
Carrot sticks and other crudités for the win!

« Reply #6123 on: 20 May, 2016, 03:11:18 pm »

Fantastic work (not on the metal work, obviously.

Your approach sounds very Barbara Rolls - volumetric diet. Her ex PhD student is a prof in my dept. Her work on Nicola Buckland on automatic processes and her work with Graham Finlayson on satiety might be interesting. Her main tip to me was include low calorie density crunchy foods in your diet, as this tires your jaw and makes you feel fuller.

https://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/profile/1300/947/professor_marion_hetherington/publications
You credit me with FAR too much thinking! It's "calories in < calories out", innit. After that it's simply a matter of how to feel the least hunger for a given energy intake. Modelling calorie intake against desired weight was quite helpful to work out what said calorie intake should be, though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6124 on: 25 May, 2016, 09:59:55 pm »
Flat-lining.
Big cankles are a bad excuse.