Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300760 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6575 on: 04 June, 2017, 07:52:05 am »
Jolly good holiday it was, 3kg up ...

That's the spirit:)

Rode in the North Yorkshire moors yesterday. Punishing area for my short term weight gain of the last couple of weeks...

Chris S

« Reply #6576 on: 05 June, 2017, 04:39:36 pm »
Jolly good holiday it was, 3kg up ...
Rode in the North Yorkshire moors yesterday. Punishing area for my short term weight gain of the last couple of weeks...

Yes. I rode 150km of a 200km audax in the Lake District yesterday; sounds like we had similar experiences. Ho hum.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6577 on: 07 June, 2017, 08:55:12 am »
There have been some ups and downs, but finally hit my target (a week late).  Hopefully staying at this weight won't be as tough as I fear, though I know it won't be easy.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6578 on: 07 June, 2017, 10:09:38 am »
Its just gone 10am and I have been thinking about lunch for a half hour at least. This just shows you how often and much I eat on holipops.

ohnomnomnomnomnomnom
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6579 on: 07 June, 2017, 10:22:01 am »
I haven't been near the scales on the critical days for quite some time now. Up 0.5kg on 3 weeks. Trouble is, I'm heading the wrong way again.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #6580 on: 07 June, 2017, 10:45:54 am »
My current weigh in looks worse than previous, but as my weight actually went up above 135 at some points in the last months, I don't think I'm doing too badly.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6581 on: 08 June, 2017, 09:42:20 am »
Just a suggestion.

Why don't we all set a weight loss target of 2Kg a year?  If you can't reduce your weight by 2Kg a year then you may as well just call the whole thing off.

2kg a year is 20Kg in 10 years.  That's significant amount of weight loss, it's even more if you lose more obviously, but just aim to be lighter by 2kg every year, on the same date.
That makes it quite easy to recover the situation every year.

As I posted before on this thread.  Very few people have actually lost weight during the life of this thread.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6582 on: 08 June, 2017, 10:41:55 am »
I have lost weight since the start. Peaked at above 130kg and something had to be done. When the thread started I was just under 120Kg, then hovered at about 100-105kg for a long while. New peak at 112kg, then down to 93.7kg (personal record in my adult life) before crimbo. Then hovered at about 94-95kg couldn't stay under 94kg no matter what I did. Just been in holipops and eat all the foods! So the summer mission is to get back under 95Kg again, maybe even try to hit 90.7kg as that is a 200 lbs and that sounds cool :)

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6583 on: 08 June, 2017, 10:47:01 am »
Just a suggestion.

Why don't we all set a weight loss target of 2Kg a year?  If you can't reduce your weight by 2Kg a year then you may as well just call the whole thing off.

As I posted before on this thread.  Very few people have actually lost weight during the life of this thread.

I've stopped weighing myself for now.

I'm probably around 64kg; this may be more than I'd like to be but it's OK really.

I have lost weight during the currency of this thread and kept most of it off.

Weight loss doesn't work as 2kg/year. I lost around 7kg in 2012 and only entered the figures retrospectively when I needed to cheer myself up. I lost a little more in 2013 and less in 2014.

I am still 10kg lighter than in January 2012.

« Reply #6584 on: 10 June, 2017, 10:40:56 am »
Two weeks ago I started commuting 40 miles a day, 4 days a week, total 160miles. I think I've lost about a kilo so far, I can feel my trousers getting looser at the waist. This was from no commuting before 2 weeks ago.

I don't think I can keep up that mileage, so starting this week I will be doing 120 miles instead. If I try to eat a bit less or at least don't eat any more than usual, I think should reach my target of 70kg say within 2 months, I'm about 73kg now.

I quickly gave up doing 120 miles per week commuting, I'm now doing 80 miles per week, which is not a huge distance and I've weighed myself for the first time since my last post and I'm now 69kg! That's 4kg lost in one month, which is surprising because I don't feel that much thinner, I thought it would be about 2kg. My tummy is a bit flabby though I understand after a certain age it's hard the shift that. I think I should do a bit weights to make sure I'm not losing muscle as well as the fat.

My previous weight gain earlier in the year was because of eating too many snacks (chocolate and crisps!) which I have stopped, and almost no cycling.

« Reply #6585 on: 10 June, 2017, 12:34:12 pm »
If you can't reduce your weight by 2Kg a year then you may as well just call the whole thing off.
I can reduce my weight by much more than 2kg in a year. but as soon as something goes wrong in my life and stress or misery gets going, I gain it all back, with interest, and much faster than it's lost.

It just doesn't work like that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6586 on: 10 June, 2017, 01:15:27 pm »
It just doesn't work like that.

This.
In spades.

There are 365 days in every year on which we will have around three meals, n snacks and be peckish/hungry/bored/angry/frustrated on n occasions, putting in x hours of exertion.

Working a long-term energy/fat deficit into these complexities will not be simple if Real LifeTM dictates eating with numerous sub-optimal parameters.

And we all NEED to eat.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6587 on: 14 June, 2017, 09:36:55 am »
Today is my ninth straight day below my target weight.  :thumbsup:

I'd have to look back through previous years, but other than while on the Camino in 2012, I don't think I've ever actually hit my target, or weighed so little (since I started logging weight here).  I'm still a little flabby around the middle, but I can live with that for now - otherwise I'd need to buy new trousers.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #6588 on: 21 June, 2017, 12:33:43 pm »
Post 600km dip - still using the 40/30/30 macro diet. Don't feel hungry ever, was described as "ripped" by a colleague. Do look more muscly than previously at this weight, but I'm doing more high intensity work on the bike.

Am upping my calorie intake to bring things back to to target.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

« Reply #6589 on: 21 June, 2017, 01:31:11 pm »
I'm hanging in there at 77kg. It's so easy to drift upwards. My target intake is 2000 calories per day, and I am usually just within that and rarely more than 100 - 200 over. If my usual intake was 2200, the weight would head north.

40/30/30 macro

I am nowhere near as serious about this as you are and I am no athlete, but I am curious as to how you keep your protein intake so high. The only part of my diet (if you can call it that - it's a simple calorie restriction at 50% carbs / 30% fat / 20% protein) that I struggle with is ensuring that I get enough protein. I rarely reach 20%. 

« Reply #6590 on: 21 June, 2017, 02:28:09 pm »
Loads of bags of soya and whey protein at work and at home, and a huge stash of huel to get through that I was given as a gift when I smashed up my mouth.

I mix it in to Skyr / Total 0% yoghurt with a bit of frozen fruit. I think it tastes delicious. YMMV.

« Reply #6591 on: 22 June, 2017, 01:39:35 pm »
Thanks. I was thinking that supplements had to be involved.

« Reply #6592 on: 22 June, 2017, 09:05:37 pm »
The nutritionist who designed the "feel fuller longer" range for M&S has a trial of the 40/30/30 approach - her findings were sufficiently promising that she's concerned that the pro-ana community will start using it. She managed to create a 40/30/30 diet from "normal food" but normal means the sort of poncy food that people who do their weekly shop in M&S can afford.

https://www.abdn.ac.uk/rowett/research/alex-johnstone.php

Seems weird to me that's she's only an SRF!

Chris S

« Reply #6593 on: 22 June, 2017, 09:15:31 pm »
I think the Zone Diet (40/30/30) would make me nervous. Such an emphasis on protein would have me worried about over-stimulation of IGF-1/Insulin, and its links with cancer promotion.

Then again - 90% of us over-stimulate insulin, just by eating grains and sugar.

« Reply #6594 on: 23 June, 2017, 05:21:14 pm »
Would my high fibre intake mitigate against it? It all goes through me pretty slow, I suspect.

simonp

« Reply #6595 on: 24 June, 2017, 01:50:53 am »
Not losing any weight. However apparently my quads are in "good condition" and "look bigger".

« Reply #6596 on: 28 June, 2017, 05:49:39 pm »
Stupid time of year for me. Three weekends away on the trot (two down and one to go) with strange eating and extra drinking involved with all three.
And then, because 'stuff still has to be done' I have less time during the week so haven't been on a bike or had a run for a fortnight.
As from Monday things start getting a bit better.
I hope.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

simonp

« Reply #6597 on: 28 June, 2017, 11:24:48 pm »
Remind me to update the graphs, it's been a while.

I read recently that exercise slows down weight loss. Good. It's because you grow muscle.

« Reply #6598 on: 08 July, 2017, 07:20:27 pm »

I keep forgetting to update, but the scale is beside my bed. Continued to stick with 40/30/30 macro through my 600s ready for LEL. Been trying to keep 20g doses of protein spread through the day, and trying to hit 50g + of fibre. So far, so stable.

Chris S

« Reply #6599 on: 08 July, 2017, 07:32:41 pm »
Out of interest, what is your current workout volume in hours per week?