Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300501 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1525 on: 06 April, 2011, 12:51:56 pm »
Oh dear the Elenith next week and I am 2kg over what I was expecting for this time of year :)
Big effort this month to get back on track I guess

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1526 on: 06 April, 2011, 02:13:57 pm »
Looks like the warm weather is almost returned and with it my salad days. Dropping cold weather comfort food during the week and riding at the weekend should see off a couple of kg by Brian Chapman time, methinks.

« Reply #1527 on: 06 April, 2011, 02:30:01 pm »
Didn't get a job I wanted badly. Decided to indulge in good beer and lots of comfort eating,  plus traveling for work meant 3 days off the bike. Result - up 1kg on last week!

« Reply #1528 on: 07 April, 2011, 11:13:37 am »
This morning the scale reads 69kg (so down 2kg from yesterday). Weight gives really crap feedback on behaviour.

« Reply #1529 on: 07 April, 2011, 03:45:26 pm »
Lost 4 kg in my first week on my diet!Getting back into my cycling has helped,plus I was ill on Sunday and ate very little.A great start ;D

« Reply #1530 on: 13 April, 2011, 10:44:04 am »
I had to make a new hole in my belt yesterday :D

am 100 grammes away from being 100 kilos for the first time in about 10 years.  'Chuffed' doesnt even come close.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1531 on: 13 April, 2011, 10:58:24 am »
Skinny bugger!

« Reply #1532 on: 13 April, 2011, 11:06:29 am »
Down 1.5kg from last week, but that's only because I was inexplicably heavy on weigh-in day, evidenced by the fact I was a kilo lighter the following day. Either way, only half a kg off target (BMI now 19.2).

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1533 on: 13 April, 2011, 11:25:33 am »
Another 6lbs off last week (almost three stone off since January).

Losing weight is proving expensive, as I'm having to get a new wardrobe...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1534 on: 13 April, 2011, 11:26:46 am »
Good going, Reg :thumbsup:

I'm still static. :(
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1535 on: 14 April, 2011, 09:11:20 am »
It's a few weeks since I last stepped on the scales but this morning I'm 3kg less than last time.It can only be a combo of 200km in Scotland & a diet of bridies & Black Gold :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #1536 on: 14 April, 2011, 10:22:53 am »
I thought I'd posted this but

There is now a graph for 2011.

Click the image to see in full size (1024x768). Any issues, let me know. I'll need to work out a better way of hosting the image. Is it possible to force an image to display full size here?

« Reply #1537 on: 14 April, 2011, 01:02:33 pm »
What food and drink do you people have on a cafe' stop?I am sticking to a proper weight loss diet,but what to eat on the typical cafe' stop?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1538 on: 14 April, 2011, 01:05:52 pm »
What food and drink do you people have on a cafe' stop?I am sticking to a proper weight loss diet,but what to eat on the typical cafe' stop?

Whatever I feel like.

When I'm on a ride there are usually no food rules, other than eat enough to keep going, and have something enjoyable.  For weight loss, my rules are for all other meal times.

YMMV

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #1539 on: 14 April, 2011, 01:12:14 pm »
One issue I've noticed is that the colour choices for some of the lines are poor; in particular lindagordinho seems to be rendered white-on-white; some of the others are very close to white.  This is automatic within gnuplot and a bit annoying that the png terminal's defaults do this. :(

I think there's a work-around, specifying linetype explictly and skipping values in the list which don't render well.  It's really the sort of thing that the authors of gnuplot should have sorted out a long time ago, IMO.

Other things that would be nice:

- sorting the key alphabetically rather in order of appearance in the weight reports thread
 - adding the most recent reported weight in the key
 - adding the derived graphs MV previously implemented, plus a BMI one (need a mechanism for people to report their height to do this)

« Reply #1540 on: 14 April, 2011, 02:12:12 pm »
One issue I've noticed is that the colour choices for some of the lines are poor; in particular lindagordinho seems to be rendered white-on-white; some of the others are very close to white.  This is automatic within gnuplot and a bit annoying that the png terminal's defaults do this. :(

I think there's a work-around, specifying linetype explictly and skipping values in the list which don't render well.  It's really the sort of thing that the authors of gnuplot should have sorted out a long time ago, IMO

You'll have to specify the colours and point styles yourself:-

# POINT SIZE AND TYPE
# pointsize is to expand points
  set pointsize 2.5
# type 'test' to see the colors and point types available
# lt is for color of the points: -1=black 1=red 2=grn 3=blue 4=purple 5=aqua 6=brn 7=orange 8=light-brn
# pt gives a particular point type: 1=diamond 2=+ 3=square 4=X 5=triangle 6=*
# postscipt: 1=+, 2=X, 3=*, 4=square, 5=filled square, 6=circle,
#            7=filled circle, 8=triangle, 9=filled triangle, etc.

# LINE COLORS, STYLES
# type 'test' to see the colors and point types available.
# Differs from x11 to postscript
# lt chooses a particular line type: -1=black 1=red 2=grn 3=blue 4=purple 5=aqua 6=brn 7=orange 8=light-brn
# lt must be specified before pt for colored points
# for postscipt -1=normal, 1=grey, 2=dashed, 3=hashed, 4=dot, 5=dot-dash
# lw chooses a line width 1=normal, can use 0.8, 0.3, 1.5, 3, etc.
# ls chooses a line style
  plot sin(x)k with linespoints lt 2 pt 4
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #1541 on: 14 April, 2011, 02:27:31 pm »
Ta. I already tried a test png on gnuplot 4.2 on redhat and the defaults were fine. But it seems to be cocked up on my graph generated with gnuplot 4.4 on mac os x. It may be using a platform specific setting which is causing trouble.

For 32 yacfers there should be plenty high contrast colours and point style combinations. This does not seem hard, but having the defaults just work seems to be.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1542 on: 14 April, 2011, 04:30:36 pm »

It depends on several factors & thus varies between next to nothing such as a coffee & cake to being hungry enought to scoff a whale between two bakeries.

« Reply #1543 on: 14 April, 2011, 05:32:53 pm »

Whatever I feel like.

When I'm on a ride there are usually no food rules, other than eat enough to keep going, and have something enjoyable.  For weight loss, my rules are for all other meal times.

YMMV

I like this reply,yet another reason to ride the bike.

simonp

« Reply #1544 on: 15 April, 2011, 04:22:30 pm »
Hmm.

Elenith. Before-weight. 70.5kg. Scales estimated about 16.5% body fat; both values mildly above target.

Day-after-weight. 71.3kg. Scales estimated 7.5% body fat. Fluid retention in legs confusing them?

A few days later. 69.9kg; 15.6% body fat. Better. :)

« Reply #1545 on: 15 April, 2011, 04:57:04 pm »
When I'm riding I eat whatever I feel like - any thoughts on what's good for my diet go out of the window. Do you seroiusly expect me to go on a forum ride, for example, and reject CrinklyLion's cake as not on the approved foods list? :o

Having said that, I'm not really trying to lose any more weight at the moment, but just stick at the level I'm at. I've dropped roughly 2 stone since last August, lost over 2" off my waist size and already had one "moment" at work when I stood up quickly and my trousers decided to do a "Mayor of Leicester" and drop round my ankles. Fortunately, there was no-one else in the office. As Reg said, this diet thing is proving expensive - none of my old trousers fit any longer and I've had to put 3 new holes in my belt.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1546 on: 16 April, 2011, 10:38:02 am »
just came back from boots - measured weight, bmi and body fat. very similar as it was 12 months ago, same weight, same bmi (21), only fat down from 15.7% to 15% (my target 14%).

« Reply #1547 on: 16 April, 2011, 08:45:23 pm »
Just had to tighten my belt a notch.  Result!!!   :thumbsup:
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #1548 on: 18 April, 2011, 07:18:26 pm »
98.7 kg!!  my first 2-figure weight in 8 years!

Chris S

« Reply #1549 on: 18 April, 2011, 07:19:36 pm »
98.7 kg!!  my first 2-figure weight in 8 years!

:thumbsup: