Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300687 times)

simonp

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1675 on: 22 May, 2011, 09:26:55 pm »
Best way to eat oats is to soak them overnight in sweetened soya milk

I'll try that.

Porridge for me is made with salt and water, not milk.  Not sure that’s healthier, but it’s this: correct.  :smug:

It always seems harder to get down me when made with water. How much salt are you adding, BTW, per bowl of porridge?

1/4 tsp at a guess.  I don’t measure it accurately, maybe I should, but it’s one of the few places I have added salt.  I eat brown rice without salt, and add salt when boiling pasta, but that should mostly stay in the water.

When I was calorie tracking I found my salt intake to be fine overall.  I did analyse one salad that I was buying from a local cafe, was feta salad and it had a ridiculous amount of salt, the whole salad was more than the entire daily allowance.  Haven’t had that since.

« Reply #1676 on: 22 May, 2011, 09:40:40 pm »
Aye, 50 g of feta has about 1.8 g of salt.

simonp

« Reply #1677 on: 22 May, 2011, 09:45:11 pm »
Add in sun dried tomatoes and olives and it was lethal. :)

simonp

« Reply #1678 on: 22 May, 2011, 09:46:14 pm »
Also their tuna nicoise salad came out bad.  Don’t buy that any more either.

« Reply #1679 on: 22 May, 2011, 10:08:01 pm »
Still on the salt front, another thing I noted recently that suprised me: 50 g (couple of slices, if that) of smoked salmon - 3.75 g of salt.

simonp

« Reply #1680 on: 22 May, 2011, 10:29:56 pm »
Indeed, but I guess it’s that or give you some horrible disease from things not being dead enough.

I’ve been eating fresh salmon instead.  Wild, of course.  Bloody expensive.

However, I made it into a thai style stir fry (amazingly nice it turned out) and spoiled it with all the soy sauce. :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1681 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:07:33 am »
If you are watching your salt intake, beware bread and manufactured breakfast cereals like cornflakes.

simonp

« Reply #1682 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:30:31 am »
If you are watching your salt intake, beware bread and manufactured breakfast cereals like cornflakes.

Indeed.  Though putting in all the data on Livestrong suggested I was on average OK.

I do like my toast, but stay away from cornflakes and similar.  Weetabix isn’t too bad.  The muesli I have contains 0.05g sodium per 100g which is very low.

I’ve started using microwave bagged brown basmati rice for convenience.  But it contains added salt.  Brown rice has plenty flavour already.  :facepalm:

« Reply #1683 on: 23 May, 2011, 01:18:39 am »

Indeed.  Though putting in all the data on Livestrong suggested I was on average OK.

I do like my toast, but stay away from cornflakes and similar.  Weetabix isn’t too bad.  The muesli I have contains 0.05g sodium per 100g which is very low.

I’ve started using microwave bagged brown basmati rice for convenience.  But it contains added salt.  Brown rice has plenty flavour already.  :facepalm:

Is porridge OK? I'm tending to eat more of that these days, and I don't add any salt to it.

simonp

« Reply #1684 on: 23 May, 2011, 01:28:15 am »

Is porridge OK? I'm tending to eat more of that these days, and I don't add any salt to it.

Without added salt it should be very low-salt.  Only a trace according to the nutrition info.  When it’s made with milk the milk provides the salt (from checking the nutrition info).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1685 on: 23 May, 2011, 01:38:03 am »
Porridge is fine.
Manufactured means produced in a factory wiv added salt'n'sugar'n'vitamins'n'fings.

simonp

« Reply #1686 on: 23 May, 2011, 01:43:32 am »
On the weight topic, I’ve not cycled all week (since Monday).  Getting fat. :(

« Reply #1687 on: 23 May, 2011, 02:23:01 am »
On the weight topic, I’ve not cycled all week (since Monday).  Getting fat. :(

The best thing to do if you can't cycle for a few days is not to weigh yourself  ;D (works for me anyway!)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1688 on: 23 May, 2011, 07:04:37 am »
Porridge is fine.
Manufactured means produced in a factory wiv added salt'n'sugar'n'vitamins'n'fings.

Worth noting that some brands of oat-based breakfast cereal (ie Ready Brek) are processed and have stuff like salt and sugar added. Oats are oats, should be nothing more nothing less. Even "instant" porridge shouldn't have anything added - it's instant by virtue of the fact that it's very finely milled so cooks much quicker. (The trade-off is a less pleasant texture - instant oats can be a bit slimy.)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1689 on: 23 May, 2011, 11:02:05 am »
I know the tescos ready bready ripoff is just oats and oat flour. I mix it up with my bog standard oats for extra creaminess.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1690 on: 23 May, 2011, 11:08:40 am »
Apologies, just checked the ingredients for Ready Brek and there's no added salt or sugar. The only additions are vitamins and minerals. According to the website, it's basically whole oats and oat flour in a 60:40 ratio.

It's still not real porridge though!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1691 on: 23 May, 2011, 11:18:40 am »
I'm using real porridge, Jordan's which claims it's only ingredient is British oats. I'm assuming this won't have salt or anything in it. All I need to do now is work out a way of microwaving the stuff without boiling it over!

simonp

« Reply #1692 on: 23 May, 2011, 11:39:33 am »
 :o

Microwave!

Bet you don't even have a spurtle either.  ::-)

Jordan's is what I use.  They have no added salt.  There is a trace amount of naturally occurring salt in oats but it's trivial.

« Reply #1693 on: 23 May, 2011, 11:42:51 am »
:o

Microwave!

Bet you don't even have a spurtle either.  ::-)

Jordan's is what I use.  They have no added salt.  There is a trace amount of naturally occurring salt in oats but it's trivial.

I had to Google spurtle to find out what it was, so no I don't have one  ;D
I have an aversion to washing pans so I always use the microwave for stuff like that!

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #1694 on: 23 May, 2011, 11:48:49 am »
My name's dasmoth and I'm an evil porridge-nuker.

I think it's a question of experimentation.  In our particular microwave, I can usually make non-'splodey porridge in 8'30 at 70% power.  60% might be safer, but I'm impatient!  Using a very big bowl helps, too...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1695 on: 23 May, 2011, 11:59:47 am »
I'm using real porridge, Jordan's which claims it's only ingredient is British oats. I'm assuming this won't have salt or anything in it. All I need to do now is work out a way of microwaving the stuff without boiling it over!

Work out exactly what quantities are needed.
Put into bowl with straight sloping sides. \___/
Zap 30s whilst observing closely.
Repeat 30s zaps.
Record total zaptime.

My partner gets microwave porridge most days and it seldom boils over.

simonp

« Reply #1696 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:03:35 pm »
I'm loving making porridge on my new induction cooker.

And scrambled eggs.  Less of a tendency to turn into a big amorphous lump than with microwaving, and easier cleaning of a nonstick pan than a glass bowl.

« Reply #1697 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:10:09 pm »

Work out exactly what quantities are needed.
Put into bowl with straight sloping sides. \___/
Zap 30s whilst observing closely.
Repeat 30s zaps.
Record total zaptime.

My partner get microwave porridge most days and it seldom boils over.

:thumbsup: cheers. I will try to obtain a bowl that shape (I have a few but they are stainless steel  :facepalm: )

And scrambled eggs.  Less of a tendency to turn into a big amorphous lump than with microwaving, and easier cleaning of a nonstick pan than a glass bowl.

In my house dishes have to be able to go and fit easily into my dishwasher, so bowls trump pans in general. I am very lazy with housework, I have a machine for everything  ;D

« Reply #1698 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:57:20 pm »

Ooh reminds me of an enforced sojourn at a Tunbridge Wells B&B some years ago (snow problems on my route home). Breakfast was egg frisbee on toast!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

red marley

« Reply #1699 on: 23 May, 2011, 01:18:17 pm »
...egg frisbee ...

Round here, we call those things omelettes.