Author Topic: Alvecote Wood web site  (Read 2089 times)

Alvecote Wood web site
« on: 30 April, 2009, 03:29:30 pm »
After months of talking about it, I've finally finished a web site for the 11 acre woods that we own (Alvecote Wood).  I've spent ages researching the history (still have one book to read), and sorting out photographs and so forth.  But the web site is now up and live, so if anybody would like to have a look at it and see what we're up to (and why we don't get out on our bicycles so much these days), then please have a look on

Alvecote Wood

I've just activated our new bandsaw and am cutting up blanks from oak logs to make into clock faces and key rings too.

Cheers!
Spinning, but not cycling...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Alvecote Wood web site
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2009, 03:31:27 pm »
An absolutely fantastic web-site docsquid!  :thumbsup:

I do intend to make it up your way some time soon...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2009, 03:35:33 pm »
An absolutely fantastic web-site docsquid!  :thumbsup:

Thank you!  I've done layouts using CSS before, but haven't done all the navbar stuff as css styles, so this was all new to me.  Took a while to work it out, but it seems to work now.

We may have to have a working party to make a treebog sometime in the future (composting loo that uses willow and nettles to turn poo into biomass).

« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2009, 03:51:08 pm »
Waaaay too distracting to read at work! Looks like you've done mounds of research and observation. Lovely.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2009, 09:24:23 pm »
Very good website with some brilliant photos!

Mmm Tamworth - that's only 80 miles up the A5.........
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2009, 02:43:59 pm »
We will definitely be having open days this Summer, but if you want to visit, just give us a shout.

« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2009, 10:53:57 am »
Little update - we have an open-day scheduled for Sunday 26th July and another for Sunday 23rd August.  So if any YACF types are around at those dates and would like to drop in, please let us know :)

« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2009, 04:41:42 pm »
Another update!  We've been very busy at the woods over the past week.  We collected a whole Land Rover full of pond plants (native species) last weekend and spent the whole weekend planting them - not a trivial task as these are quite large ponds.  The dragonflies rewarded us by moving in.  We also camped out down there one evening last week and found out that we have a lot of pipistrelle bats (attracted by the insects that have been attracted by the ponds) and probably a noctule bat as well as tawny owls.  Then yesterday we knew it was going to rain, so we prepared some previously-cleared ground and planted one large and three small areas of wildflower meadow.  Unfortunately we broke a hydraulic ram on the tractor, so had to do a fair bit of raking by hand :(

We were also very pleased to see we had at least two wild honey-bee nests in the wood, so perhaps our aim of beekeeping will be possible if we get a hive.

Today after a lot of work, I finally completed our range of products for sale to offset the running costs of the wood.  I can't run to a full internet shop yet, but can do mail order.  We've got scented eco-wax candles, natural beeswax candles, greetings cards and wooden key fobs.  All are hand-made by yours truly, except the cards, and those are printed elsewhere from my photos.  Really quite exciting to finally get this enterprise going!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2009, 08:10:24 pm »
Hey docsquid...

The mention of camping has made me wonder whether you could use the wood as a 'basic' campsite?  A composting toilet or two and a basic water supply and it could appeal to a wide range of people.  With bats, etc. about I'd certainly pay a premium to stay a few nights.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #9 on: 06 June, 2009, 10:42:02 pm »
We actually have the scouts booked in to camp there at the end of June - they pay us AND do work, so that is a bonus. 

It would not be possible to provide drinking water at the site (or electricity) as we are a considerable distance from any mains supply of any kind.  We are planning to install a treebog (sort of composting toilet that uses trees to convert waste to useful coppice products) at some point.  Also, we'd probably need planning permission and since our new entrance was granted planning permission on the grounds that there would not be routine public access (due to the speed of the road and lack of the required clear visibility in both directions) I doubt we'd be given it.  It's OK for private parties such as scouts and occasional open days, but not regular public access as would be the case with a camp site.  Insurance would also be a major worry with un-fenced deep ponds on site and the attendant danger to children - we'd almost certainly have to fence off the ponds completely and/or cover them, which would defeat the object of having them there as a wildlife site.

But a yACF camping party might be a possibility :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 06 June, 2009, 11:07:49 pm »
I think your website is really good, DS.

I couldn't see anything specifically about the ponds other than that you have dredged them and a putting plants in.

Are there any fish? If you have been visited by a heron, one would assume so.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2009, 11:25:17 pm »
The site looks lovely, its interesting seeing how its getting on.

Would be interested in seeing what you are going to make with the wood too  :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2009, 05:07:08 pm »
Are there any fish? If you have been visited by a heron, one would assume so.

No, there aren't any fish but herons apparently like to eat frogs and newts and we've got a lot of those.  The ponds are fed from three sources.  The upper ponds are fed by the quite substantial groundwater in the clearing - there is a large boggy area and it made sense to use a bit of it for ponds as this would increase diversity of habitat without substantially reducing the boggy habitat in size.  When we dug the ponds we wondered how we were going to fill them, but the next day they were almost full just from seepage, even when it wasn't raining!  They are also fed by the water coming off the roof of the building - we harvest the rainwater but once the tank is full, the overflow goes into the ponds.  They are all linked (not obvious) and all at slightly different levels, so that there is a directional flow when required.

The lower ponds are fed by any overflow from the upper ponds, plus a drainage ditch that drains the land adjacent to us on the west side (farm land) and then comes under the road and into our ditch.  Most of the year it is effectively a spring, as there is always water draining.  Between maybe July and October there isn't any flow unless it has been raining.  The lower ponds were originally one large pond, but this had gradually silted up and then got colonised with willow saplings that dried it out even further.  We decided to divide it into three ponds (with the remaining bit remaining undisturbed as one pond).  We have given water places to go to deposit silt which can then be removed relatively easily, rather than just dump silt over the whole base of the pond.  So hopefully, management of the silt will not be a big issue.

MikeJ - I've made some key fobs and today have been working out a mechanism to sand and polish the wood to turn some slices into drinks coasters.  We do have a lathe and plan to start wood-turning, but we don't really have enough seasoned wood - we only started management last September after months of getting planning permission.  However once it has been seasoned we will try our hand at wood-turning.  A former client at the gym has offered to give us some instruction.  You can see the key fobs on our web site, although they don't look nearly as good in photos as in real life.  Alvecote Wood - Products.

We are also planning to make links with the local colleges' art departments as they may be interested in some of the more sculptural pieces of wood as material for their sculpture course.  We do want to leave a lot of dead wood on site but we can certainly spare some as we have a number of fallen trees some of which we want to cut up so that we can clear the area where they've fallen of brambles, allowing new saplings to grow in the space - at the moment they don't have a chance.  We can't get the tractor in there with a fallen tree in the way.

« Reply #13 on: 18 June, 2009, 12:35:53 pm »
Another update.  I got a Stealth Cam trail camera which I have been putting up in various places around the wood.  It is pretty well camouflaged and I move it around which would make it hard to find if somebody wanted to steal it.  It does infra-red at night and a sort of ghostly IR/colour mix during the day.  Remote PIR trigger and IR flash so it isn't detectable.

Anyway, after a couple of false starts I managed to get a picture of a muntjac deer at midnight in one of the clearings we have made (actually, it is where we used to park the tractor before we got the barn).

I'm really looking forward to seeing what wildlife we've got and where it is over the next few weeks.