Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 638029 times)

Hilldodger

Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #500 on: 27 July, 2010, 04:54:59 pm »
At the Bath SkyRide on Sunday a chap turned up on a very original 1971 Dawes Galaxy - one of the very first to be made. I did drool a likkle bit :-[

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #501 on: 27 July, 2010, 04:59:34 pm »
I haz a 1971 Galaxy. ;)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #502 on: 28 July, 2010, 09:23:14 am »
I saw a Tokyobike on the achingly hip Walworth Road.

I thought it had two chainrings, but the outer is milled to be just a guard.  Something like 8-spd derailleur.  The frame was reasonably neat, with low shot-in seatstays, but the green colour just looked like a cheap powdercoat job.  Minimal graphics.

The 650 wheels didn't look so bad.  Barely noticeable, in fact.
Getting there...

Hilldodger

« Reply #503 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:13:44 am »
I haz a 1971 Galaxy. ;)

You forgot to add "that is just your size and I really need to sell it to you" ;) :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #504 on: 28 July, 2010, 10:23:45 am »
It may be for sale by & by if I can get my Orbit straight for touring ;)
Getting there...

Hilldodger

« Reply #505 on: 28 July, 2010, 04:09:40 pm »
S'oright, then ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #506 on: 28 July, 2010, 04:33:39 pm »
You've got first refusal booked ;)
Getting there...

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #507 on: 30 July, 2010, 05:51:40 pm »
I saw a "Mercian Professional" today at work.
I spotted the bike as a drove in to the platform, doing around 70 km/h in my little train.
The owner didn't get off until the end off the line, so I stopped him and asked about it. (only 2'nd Mercian I've seen in Dk)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #508 on: 30 July, 2010, 08:06:56 pm »
Cool. I saw a rider with a smart green Mercian this morning in Balham.  He had a Carradice rackbag, and looked like an audaxer. I wondered if he might be a member, but I was wearing my yacf jersey, and there was no recognition, so probably not.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #509 on: 30 July, 2010, 08:56:25 pm »
Ah.  Last night in Balham, I saw a chap on a Kona Ute with two young lads sat astride the rear rack seat, clutching drawings and other stuff.  I pulled alongside and commented on how cool it was, and the rider smiled, but one of the passengers started telling me about how they'd had four kids on the rack once.  Both lads were immensely pleased that I was interested in their transport.  :)
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #510 on: 30 July, 2010, 11:00:23 pm »
I saw a very very very pretty Mercian yesterday.  I don't often covet other people's bikes, mainly because most other people's bikes are much too big for me to contemplate as anything other than eye candy, but this one was teeny weeny and would probably have fitted.

Pretty.....

« Reply #511 on: 31 July, 2010, 04:46:41 pm »
I saw a bloke riding a penny farthing in Central London yesterday at about 10pm, under the South Bank Centre. I think he was going into a car park or something under the Hayward Gallery/Purcell Room.

« Reply #512 on: 31 July, 2010, 06:31:15 pm »
Overtook a unicycle going down one of the main roads in Yeovil yesterday evening.
Unfortunately I was in the car so no chance for a chat.  The cars were all giving him a very wide berth as they passed!
He must have been doing about 15mph.  Legs going like mad!

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #513 on: 02 August, 2010, 07:45:35 am »
A tandem recumbent in Fairford on Friday last.
Towing a bob yak or similar.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #514 on: 02 August, 2010, 01:28:32 pm »
I saw a very very very pretty Mercian yesterday.  I don't often covet other people's bikes, mainly because most other people's bikes are much too big for me to contemplate as anything other than eye candy, but this one was teeny weeny and would probably have fitted.

Pretty.....

Pale blue with a girl riding it?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #515 on: 02 August, 2010, 01:35:16 pm »
I saw a very very very pretty Mercian yesterday.  I don't often covet other people's bikes, mainly because most other people's bikes are much too big for me to contemplate as anything other than eye candy, but this one was teeny weeny and would probably have fitted.

Pretty.....

Pale blue with a girl riding it?

T'was indeed blue, and I did wonder if it might well be a bike that you knew....  If it is, its (delightful) owner knows that I am very jealous of her bike!  It's so rare that I see one that might fit me :)

« Reply #516 on: 02 August, 2010, 01:39:19 pm »
That would be my daughter, then.

Her mum got the bike for her from the cycle show. Unfortunately, the top tube has a nasty dent in it. The bike will last for a year or two more, but that's it.

I've not ridden the bike, but have towed it a few miles around York. Handles beautifully, so stable and light to steer, a real testimony to the value of Mercians.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #517 on: 02 August, 2010, 08:39:23 pm »
This

Mrs Cudzo bought it about 4 years ago from the roof of a passing car - literally! - but it's been stored in the barn (whose doors you can see behind the bike now) for the last 3 years at least. That's why it's so dirty! The frame is in two separate halves, left and right, which have no direct contact with each other. The places where they join, such as BB shell and head tube, they are connected by plastic tubes. There's a lot of flex in that BB! The wheels are for tubeless tyres, and their solid plastic spokes rather cancel out the supposed comfort of the frame. Unfortunately the rear tubeless tyre disintegrated and I've had to replace it with what was to hand - a tubed tyre can be fitted - which is far too wide.

In another couple of days it should be fine, though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #518 on: 02 August, 2010, 09:15:27 pm »
This

Mrs Cudzo bought it about 4 years ago from the roof of a passing car - literally! - but it's been stored in the barn (whose doors you can see behind the bike now) for the last 3 years at least. That's why it's so dirty! The frame is in two separate halves, left and right, which have no direct contact with each other. The places where they join, such as BB shell and head tube, they are connected by plastic tubes. There's a lot of flex in that BB! The wheels are for tubeless tyres, and their solid plastic spokes rather cancel out the supposed comfort of the frame. Unfortunately the rear tubeless tyre disintegrated and I've had to replace it with what was to hand - a tubed tyre can be fitted - which is far too wide.

In another couple of days it should be fine, though.

A larger image size makes things a lot clearer.  That is one strange looking bike!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #519 on: 02 August, 2010, 10:07:45 pm »
I know the original image was a bit small, but I couldn't work out how to make it bigger. How did you do it?

It is a wierd bike. It's missing a few bits and pieces - there was a wire basket at the front, which is still in the barn, and there used to be a small plastic box on the back, but I don't know what happened to that. I'm sure it also ought to have a chain guard and a prop stand, but they're missing too. Some of the parts are marked "W. Germany" so it must be pre-1990.

« Reply #520 on: 02 August, 2010, 11:08:21 pm »
I know the original image was a bit small, but I couldn't work out how to make it bigger. How did you do it?

With flickr it depends on the last part of the name, before the ".jpg" bit.  If it's _s (as your image was) then it's a "small square" 75x75 pixels, if it's _t then you get a "thumbnail" which is 100 pixel in it's longest dimension.  _m means 240 pixels on it's longest side, nothing means 500 pixels on it's longest side, _b means 1024 pixels on the longest size, and _o is the original image.

_b and _o aren't always available, so you may have to use a smaller option.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #521 on: 02 August, 2010, 11:22:09 pm »
Thanks, that's useful to know. I've edited the original link appropriately.

« Reply #522 on: 03 August, 2010, 10:36:33 pm »
Good day today!

First of all a "Duet" near Cosham....and then a Pedersen in Fareham

What really made it for me was the guy swapped a ride on the Pedersen for a ride on my Catrike

Bad news - I haven't got a Pedersen, but it was a close call as I really liked it and he is selling it!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #523 on: 05 August, 2010, 09:00:35 am »
Last night near Tooley Street I saw a Bianchi with bullhorns and incredibly bulky integrated flat bar levers crammed together near the stem.  I couldn't see if the gears were 'MTB' or 'road', but it seemed to have a triple up front.
Getting there...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #524 on: 05 August, 2010, 09:43:14 am »
Overtook what I assume to be a white Strida the other morning on London Wall.  I'd only ever seen them in orange before/
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike