Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 643972 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #575 on: 05 October, 2010, 11:25:19 pm »
The Worcester & Birmingham Canal is just up the road, I suppose...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #576 on: 05 October, 2010, 11:44:34 pm »
I saw a very hipster-looking chap with a Cinelli which had a marked lack of brakes, and rather less than the normal quota of spokes, today.  Noticed the absence of rear brake.  Then that there was none on the front either.  Then realised it was a ss, not a fixed.  Still, at least he was walking and pushing it as he wandered along the (busy) road.  Not on the (wide) pavement, actually on the road  ??? And apparently having a ss with no brakes means that it is compulsory to RLJ even when you're walking.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #577 on: 05 October, 2010, 11:47:55 pm »
A case of 'terminal pose', there's no hope for him.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #578 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:19:41 am »
I think I've seen that one in York. Deep section rims? Riding slowly on the pavement. If I hadn't been in a hurry, I'd have been tempted to step in front of him, just to see what would happen.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #579 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:24:26 am »
We saw a lowrider style bike in Croydon.  It must have weighed a ton.  The rear wheel had a motorbike rim.
Getting there...

« Reply #580 on: 06 October, 2010, 04:55:30 pm »
Ah yes, I spotted this outside Aldi earlier:

The first case of DUI bars I've seen in Brum, and the only time I've seen them combined with bar-end shifters, for the ultimate in ergonomic fail.  The brakes being on the wrong sides is just the icing on the cake :)

The rear wheel was locked to the frame, and it was resting on its propstand.  Not that anyone would want to nick it...

Hang on, has that got a suicide lever on one side only? 
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #581 on: 06 October, 2010, 05:49:40 pm »
I noticed the same. I can see how you could use the 'safety lever' (as they were marketed in the '80s) to brake with the bars at such an angle, but there's only one, and it's the back brake, so it'll have the stopping power of chewing gum.

The frame looks as if it might show promise, though. If that's the case, this bike deserves a visit from the midnight guerilla bike fettler - to reset the bars, remove the mktgspk lvr and leave instruction on locking the thing up.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #582 on: 07 October, 2010, 12:06:13 am »

I think that's just an artefact of my taking-a-photo-while-pretending-to-read-a-text-message technique.  You can see the top end of one on the left lever, the rest is I think just hidden from view.  I certainly don't remember there only being one, though I was somewhat distracted by the comedy shifters.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #583 on: 08 October, 2010, 10:17:46 am »
Lord, that's worth a Bike Snob 'Cockie' Award.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #584 on: 08 October, 2010, 11:11:04 am »
Yesterday morning, I saw a Carlton fixed.  Not sure what it had been, but it still had its original livery, in a fetching bronze.
Getting there...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #585 on: 08 October, 2010, 02:29:37 pm »
Teenager trundling down Cricklade St in Cirencester on a Bickerton at lunchtime.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #586 on: 08 October, 2010, 03:09:24 pm »
Poor kid.  I wonder what they'd done to deserve that? :(
Getting there...

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #587 on: 09 October, 2010, 05:14:40 pm »
saw this tallbike today :

The owner  showed how to trackstand on it.  ::-) :thumbsup:

« Reply #588 on: 09 October, 2010, 07:22:55 pm »
That's a very tall, tall bike, and I've never seen the chain done like that before, very interesting.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #589 on: 09 October, 2010, 07:27:05 pm »
I wonder how well the steering works - even assuming that both frames have the same head tube angle and that the head tubes are perfectly lined up.

« Reply #590 on: 09 October, 2010, 07:30:23 pm »
Some Bianchi Celete at the Bike Show, 50's stylee.

Chain is incredibly slack, tho

« Reply #591 on: 09 October, 2010, 11:00:44 pm »

I think that's just an artefact of my taking-a-photo-while-pretending-to-read-a-text-message technique.  You can see the top end of one on the left lever, the rest is I think just hidden from view.  I certainly don't remember there only being one, though I was somewhat distracted by the comedy shifters.

I dunno. I've looked and looked (and did so before I posted), and can't see how the whole lever can be there and not show at the end.  I can see that the bit attached to the hood is there - maybe it's snapped off short and the stub is hidden.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #592 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:49:56 pm »
Ah yes, I spotted this outside Aldi earlier:

The first case of DUI bars I've seen in Brum, and the only time I've seen them combined with bar-end shifters, for the ultimate in ergonomic fail.  The brakes being on the wrong sides is just the icing on the cake :)

The rear wheel was locked to the frame, and it was resting on its propstand.  Not that anyone would want to nick it...

A Graeme O'Bree fan? The set up for the now infamous (cheers UCI) 'tuck' position.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #593 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:14:08 am »
Whilst out with the CrinklyPride yesterday, at the lunch stop (Blacksmiths Arms in Naburn) we saw a "The Duet", it wasn't until we were leaving that I worked out it attaches to a section on the back of a wheelchair, making it into a tandem trike.

Looked like the Economy one on here : The Go Anywhere Wheelchair Bicycle Tandem: The Duet

Pretty damned cool if you ask me :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #594 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:37:02 am »
We saw a lot of interesting metal & plastic at the Cycle show, but couldn't list that here.  However, on Garratt Lane, we did see (well, Butterfly spotted) a Hase Pino. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #595 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:45:07 am »
Spotted by Shepherds Bush Green. Cruiser, but with reversed forks, drop bars, and reserved brake levers, and bar ends. I think they're homemade butteryfly bars.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #596 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:53:40 am »
Whilst out with the CrinklyPride yesterday, at the lunch stop (Blacksmiths Arms in Naburn) we saw a "The Duet", it wasn't until we were leaving that I worked out it attaches to a section on the back of a wheelchair, making it into a tandem trike.

Looked like the Economy one on here : The Go Anywhere Wheelchair Bicycle Tandem: The Duet

Pretty damned cool if you ask me :)

We were also sharing the (clearly labelled, and signposted from the front of the pub) Bike Parking with another mtb+tagalong, rather a lot of rather reasonable bikes and another 2 islabikes.  And I spotted 3 other islabikes as we were riding, making it a 6 (including the cub's) islabike day.  The care with which one driver, clearly very aware that he was being watched by a large number of cyclists fearful for their precious,  3-pointed their car out of the car space opposite was fairly amusing.

« Reply #597 on: 11 October, 2010, 02:10:41 pm »
Saw a fantastic combo on Saturday near Motspur Park. A recumbent tandem towing a double seater trike tagalong.

Edit. With the tagalong seats in line, not abreast.
Rust never sleeps

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #598 on: 11 October, 2010, 02:19:42 pm »
Yesterday I saw a Dursley Pedersen, the frame looked to be made out of stainless.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #599 on: 11 October, 2010, 02:40:48 pm »
Saw a fantastic combo on Saturday near Motspur Park. A recumbent tandem towing a double seater trike tagalong.

That must have made for a long vehicle and a large turning circle.
Getting there...