Author Topic: Cat poo - problematic?  (Read 3564 times)

Julian

• samoture
Cat poo - problematic?
« on: 29 May, 2009, 10:46:36 pm »
We've just managed to get the cat to go and crap outside.  I really don't want that to change, because a flat that smells of catshit is a bit mad-cat-woman even by my standards.  And he does bury it.

But this evening as I was watering the garden, he sprinted for the raised beds and curled up a fat one near the beans.  He's not going *on* the plants, just near to them, and then burying it.  He obviously prefers the looser soil in the raised beds.

Is this likely to poison the plants or can I just ignore it?  If the worst that happens is that I accidentally stick a trowel into dried up cat poo, I can deal with that.  If on the other hand it'll kill the plants, or poison anyone who eats our veg, then I'll invest in a water pistol and encourage him away from the veg patch.

border-rider

Re: Cat poo - problematic?
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2009, 10:47:49 pm »
It's fine.  Not ideal, but fine.  Make sure you keep him up to date with worming tablets etc and make sure you wash the veg :)

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2009, 11:11:20 pm »
It shouldn't be a problem as long as no-one who is pregnant eats any plants from there (google "toxoplasmosis" for further details :sick: ).

All the fert "output" gets composted and used to grow veg in our house. I think the nitrogen does the plants good.  :)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2009, 11:26:46 pm »
Cat's always seem to prefer freshly dug soil or anything similar.  I remember my father having a load of sand delivered to be used for something like concrete, or mortar, or whatever (I forget).  All the local cats just saw it as one giant sized cat litter tray. :-\

I can't imagine it's terribly problematic for the plants, given the vast number of cats in this country.  If there was a problem we would have all been poisoned by it a long time ago.
Actually, it is rocket science.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2009, 11:30:58 pm »
The other issue is - where do you expect him to go ?

OK he's going outside, but if there's no other freshly-dug soil to paw then (as TimO said) he'll use what's available.  Our Big Cat used to make his arrangements in the bark chips that were lost somewhere beneath the jungle that was Former Volio Towers' front to the outside world.  Out of sight, out of mind.

So maybe provide him with an attractive alternative...

« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2009, 11:42:44 pm »
What MalVolio said. A tray of sand or really light soil will stop him digging up your nice new beds, if he's disturbing plants. Cats will choose the diggiest path about for their poo.

I wouldn't be awesomely happy about having my veg patch used as a catloo, if I could avoid it. Once or twice I can live with, but as a regular thing? No ta! I'd prefer to give them an outside litter patch. (And I am a proper mad cat person!)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 30 May, 2009, 12:14:03 am »
I recall in Manchester the time I dug the front garden (in a terraced street) to put some roses in. Stopped for a breather when I'd nearly finished and looked around.

Three cats, crimpers poised, were watching me intently.

I concreted the back garden.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2009, 12:59:30 am »
The wielding of a trowel, & a short walk to the compost bin, removes the problem. It will break down there faster & with less odour.

The causative organism of Toxoplasmosis would only be found on the surface of plants. Thorough washing should remove it (but sends it down the drain), & apparently cooking kills it. Keep cats away from salad stuff - or wash it well. Beans should be no problem.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #8 on: 30 May, 2009, 09:28:23 am »
The wielding of a trowel, & a short walk to the compost bin, removes the problem. It will break down there faster & with less odour.

The causative organism of Toxoplasmosis would only be found on the surface of plants. Thorough washing should remove it (but sends it down the drain), & apparently cooking kills it. Keep cats away from salad stuff - or wash it well. Beans should be no problem.
To be honest, the 'thorough washing' of veg etc to remove any harmful organism is hugely over-rated, you'll remove gross soil and creepy crawlies (which of course will harbour germs) but there will be bazillions more that will remain blissfully attached and require far more than a running tap or a good salad spinner.

IMO, cat poo and veg plots are a non-no.  As an aside, It's funny how some would tolerate this in their own veg patch, but if they found cat poo contaminating their tescos lettuce they'd be up in arms  ;)

Si

« Reply #9 on: 30 May, 2009, 02:06:56 pm »
Think you got it bad?  T'other day I just two freshly planted seed trays next to the back door while I put tools away.  Returned to find that I'd cultivated a big fat sausage in one and the other was swimming in froth!

My solution on the plot is just to put a bit of bird netting up to keep cats, foxes, children, etc off a bed.  At home, as others have said, I have a weed free patch that I turn over now and then to keep it loose, and on which the cat is free to do as she pleases.  (good for growing courgettes on the next year)

« Reply #10 on: 30 May, 2009, 07:54:46 pm »
The couple down the end of our row of houses have 12 cats.  My neighbour has a large vegetable garden. He gets incensed by the cats crapping in his veggie patch.  He has loads of guns but knows what I do so will not shoot them.  I think he would if I was not next door  ;D
Instead he has installed an electric fence around the perimeter of his fencing.  It is two strands of very high electrical current.  We know when a cat cops it as they howl, but don't die.  Repeat, don't die.
Our dog is now an avid cat chaser too. 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 30 May, 2009, 08:10:01 pm »
High voltage, not high current.  I hope.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12 on: 31 May, 2009, 12:43:17 pm »
High voltage, not high current.  I hope.
Oh I don't know... having suffered constant cat crap in the veg patch and garden at our last house...
One gets tired of sitting in the garden on a sunny afternoon with the stench of the stuff and wiping it off  toddlers hands. 

Rose bush trimmings or other spikey chopped-up plants liberally sprinkled amongst the veg and flower bed helps.

« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2009, 12:11:43 pm »
watch out for the girl turds!  The female of the faeces is more deadly than the male ::-)

« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2009, 02:27:57 pm »
I stick twigs into the ground to make it difficult for the cats to squat. It works pretty well.

« Reply #15 on: 06 June, 2009, 04:43:50 pm »
I do the sticks trick, plus for onion sets and garlic bulbs, I have some metal mesh shelves that I no longer use, and cover them with that until they get established.  Otherwise our dear little kitties dig the whole lot up.
Spinning, but not cycling...

« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2009, 04:51:31 pm »
Not being cat people and wanting to cultivate our garden (Edwardian terrace) makes for a lively and disgusting challenge.   I'm afraid that I hold a dim view of people who are happy that the problem is not theirs even though the cat is.   One particular cat I have now identified the home of and I'm sorely tempted to lay cable on their lawn to see just how they appreciate it.      >:(

It's not just the shit btw, it's also the digging up and damage to the plants.

« Reply #17 on: 06 June, 2009, 06:39:12 pm »
I have always found it interesting that people don't like their cat doing their business inside THEIR house as it smells, but it is okay for it to do it in someone else's garden or flower beds.

« Reply #18 on: 06 June, 2009, 07:44:11 pm »
Not being cat people and wanting to cultivate our garden (Edwardian terrace) makes for a lively and disgusting challenge.   I'm afraid that I hold a dim view of people who are happy that the problem is not theirs even though the cat is.   One particular cat I have now identified the home of and I'm sorely tempted to lay cable on their lawn to see just how they appreciate it.      >:(

It's not just the shit btw, it's also the digging up and damage to the plants.
Collect it in a bag, put it in an envelope and pop it back through the cat-owner's letterbox... alternatively, dig up a few of their plants and deposit the doo-doo there with a note stating 'Returned to rightful owner'.

« Reply #19 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:14:15 am »
Twigs or netting.

If you have a few minutes and want to see how contentious this topic can be, see Allotments 4 All - cat's toilet..! for some really excellent rants.

Treewheeler

« Reply #20 on: 08 June, 2009, 01:47:11 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/awYO4ArTsQg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/awYO4ArTsQg&rel=1</a>

If only...

« Reply #21 on: 08 June, 2009, 04:02:47 pm »
In our last house all of our neighbours had cats but all of them had paved their gardens. Our garden was paved but then I spent many happy hours with a sledge hammer and it was no longer paved.

Suddenly every Tom, Dick and Tibbles came to inspect my handy work and leave a token of their appreciation. This went on for a few weeks so we tried some of the cat deterrents on the market. First there was a white powder, this did very little except gave our garden a lovely festive feel. Next we tried some Lion poo. This did nothing except add lion poo to the problem. Finally I tried  this

Expensive but it works. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

« Reply #22 on: 08 June, 2009, 04:59:16 pm »
And waters the garden at the same time?

Mrs. B would love it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #23 on: 12 June, 2009, 01:01:20 pm »
IMO, cat poo and veg plots are a non-no. 

I've had both for the last 20yrs, and I've had no ill effects nor has my family. The risks are overated IMO.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)