Author Topic: Statutory notice - road works?  (Read 2907 times)

Statutory notice - road works?
« on: 26 April, 2008, 12:51:33 pm »
Does anyone know what the statutory notice period for a contractor to give residents, prior to resurfacing the whole road, is?   The company concerned gave a very short notice (during school holidays) and so some cars were not moved from the road and this left gaps in the resurfacing....
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Statutory notice - road works?
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2008, 12:27:32 am »
I'm not sure there is one. They have to give the council notice to work on the highway and the council publish a list of roads that will be closed/ excavated in on a regular basis. The contractor has sent the letter as a courtesy letter and in the hope the cars will not be there when they arrive to do the works.

For future reference there is www.elgin.gov.uk which covers large parts of the UK, but not all, which is a map based system showing where the planned works under NRSWA (New Roads and Street Works Act). Since April this act has changed meaning the contractors must give the council 3 months notice of the works.

Matthew

« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2008, 01:45:31 pm »
As a matter of coincidence I came back from my ride this morning to find our road plastered with notices and a note thing through the door, saying that they are re-surfacing on Wed. I guess this should be sufficient, but if someone's away that could make things difficult.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2008, 02:52:03 pm »
This reminds me of

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/747568/posts

(Warning: roadkill content, although not squashed roadkill)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2008, 02:57:33 pm »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2008, 05:31:19 pm »
This reminds me of

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/747568/posts
Painting by hand, it must be easier to kick the badger to one side than paint over it. Presumably the line had been spray painted from a moving vehicle.

« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:54:15 am »
The contractors put up no-parking-today signs up yesterday to finish off, and would you believe it... some random car, I haven't seen before, is parked next to one the areas they near to do... :-\  Hopefully they'll be able to get it done - weather allowing.  I have to say...Mrs ao is not bothered by any of this... ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2008, 12:00:09 pm »
When the resurfaced some roads near us last year they just moved any cars parked on the street that had ignored the warnings. They didn't ticket any of them, but some of the owners got a shock when they returned to find their car missing (but found in a nearby street).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."