Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 530011 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #6100 on: May 03, 2021, 11:06:18 am »
OT: I'm sure I read an information board wossname at Kluane Lake stating that a few centuries ago (but before the white man showed up in tha 'hood) the said lake used to drain south into the Gulf of Alaska until a landslide blocked the exit and forced the water to find a new route via the Mighty Yukon.  Must have been confusing for the migratory fishies.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6101 on: May 05, 2021, 01:47:39 pm »
In response to an online enquiry about the availability of items, the response was:

we do sale Altberg Boots and some of the models come in various width fittings I would suggest that you visit are website to view are collection

kind regards Steve

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #6102 on: May 05, 2021, 02:27:42 pm »
Given the punctuation and capitalisation, that shows all the signs of being written by autocomplete, if not speech-to-text.

That said, I've seen 'sale' used to mean 'sell' a few times, and wonder if it's more than just pseudo-homophonic spelling mistake.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #6103 on: May 05, 2021, 03:29:17 pm »
Nah. People are thick. Or more likely don't care about spelling and grammar. It's not as if you couldn't understand what Steve meant, is it?

My daughter quotes her (Yorkshire) supplier.

"you'll after order it seprit"

TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

« Reply #6104 on: May 05, 2021, 06:28:23 pm »
It's not as if you couldn't understand what Steve meant, is it?

My daughter quotes her (Yorkshire) supplier.

"you'll after order it seprit"

I understand both Steve and Fboab's daughter's (Yorkshire) supplier. Which is, at the risk of undermining the raison d'etre of this whole topic, the main thing. Ain't it?

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #6105 on: May 06, 2021, 10:52:58 pm »
I'll suggest that fboab's daughter's supplier is dialect and that "Steve"'s reply is poor grammar (or spelling) due to the repeated "are". Or S/he's taking the piss, for giggles.

But both could be speech:text software problems
Reasonably Inconsiderate