Linked Events

• FNRTTC-Whitstable: 04 September, 2009

Author Topic: FNRTTC-Whitstable 4th September  (Read 9056 times)

Arthur

Re: FNRTTC-Whitstable 4th September
« Reply #50 on: 07 September, 2009, 05:01:23 pm »
(also posted on the other place)...

Although I wasn't able to join the ride until Rochester, those were some of the happiest, care-free miles I've ridden in a long time. Marvellous stuff.

Some of my pictures

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3_nVE5AEbmE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/3_nVE5AEbmE&rel=1</a>

astrocan

« Reply #51 on: 07 September, 2009, 08:17:43 pm »
My second FNRttC and my second time to Whitstable. It is a fantastic ride. I know it is a slog up but I missed flying down Shooters Hill this time, perhaps it could be included on another occasion.
Hoping to do Sarffend by way of a change next month.

Some pics http://www.flickr.com/people/24380494@N08/

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #52 on: 07 September, 2009, 09:03:57 pm »
Those pictures are last year's Southend trip.  ;)

Simon's dropped using Shooter's Hill because it really spreads out the riders, and some really didn't like going up it.  Not me of course - I like hills.  ;D
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #53 on: 07 September, 2009, 09:58:16 pm »
I enjoyed Shooter's Hill the first time Simon took us all to Southend and we went through the tunnel. Regulator and I had a real dogfight as to who climbed it first, and he was walking. :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #54 on: 07 September, 2009, 10:00:36 pm »
Blatant plug: my only-slightly-derivative Oxford-London overnighter is on 16 October.  Compared to the FNRttC:

1) it's a little bit longer (67 miles)
2) there are three psychotic hills (Chinnor Hill, the legendary Smalldean Lane, Cryers Hill and three that just make you grunt a bit; Horspath, Welders Lane and the climb from the canal up to Harefield)
3) it's incredibly cheap...about £4 train fare to Oxford
4) you get home earlier if you live in London
5) Road-runner is the Tourist Tony of the west and does 3am refreshments and YACF access :thumbsup:
6) some of the later lanes are tricky because of potholes and loose gravel; it's not ideal for huge groups
7) there is no moon, or just a little sliver of one
8 ) very little of it is built-up, except the run into London through Ruislip and Ealing
9) you get to do the Chiltern Hills the *hard* way
10) breakfast is totally unplanned, because there's always somewhere open.

Main thread here
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #55 on: 07 September, 2009, 10:36:20 pm »
Blatant plug: my only-slightly-derivative Oxford-London overnighter is on 16 October.  Compared to the FNRttC:

1) it's a little bit longer (67 miles)
2) there are three psychotic hills (Chinnor Hill, the legendary Smalldean Lane, Cryers Hill and three that just make you grunt a bit; Horspath, Welders Lane and the climb from the canal up to Harefield)
3) it's incredibly cheap...about £4 train fare to Oxford
4) you get home earlier if you live in London
5) Road-runner is the Tourist Tony of the west and does 3am refreshments and YACF access :thumbsup:
6) some of the later lanes are tricky because of potholes and loose gravel; it's not ideal for huge groups
7) there is no moon, or just a little sliver of one
8 ) very little of it is built-up, except the run into London through Ruislip and Ealing
9) you get to do the Chiltern Hills the *hard* way
10) breakfast is totally unplanned, because there's always somewhere open.

Main thread here

Hmmm...
*strokes beardless chin in a beardy kind of way...*

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 07 September, 2009, 10:53:53 pm »

11) Is easily accessed from Birmingham without the use of Virgin Trains.

However, sanity must prevail.  Night time temperatures in mid-October are likely to be incompatible with my Stupid Lungs, especially in combination with hills, psychotic or otherwise.  :(