Author Topic: Vittoria Rubino Pro MTB Slick Tyre  (Read 1448 times)

ed_o_brain

Vittoria Rubino Pro MTB Slick Tyre
« on: 21 September, 2009, 02:53:34 pm »
I'm looking to equip my uber-commuter for the winter. At the moment it currently sports Michelin XCRoad tyres which are fantastic in dry conditions but they make the bike's handling nothing short of dangerous in the wet.

Being perfectly happy with Vittoria Rubino Pro's on my fixed, I was thinking about getting the MTB equivalent:

Has anyone else had any experience with them? What are they like in very wet conditions?

Re: Vittoria Rubino Pro MTB Slick Tyre
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2009, 03:09:34 pm »
I dunno.

I too found XCR road to be lacking in traction (I managed to spin the rear wheel when pulling away from traffic lights).

My money is on 1.5" pasela TG. Just don't over inflate them, it doesn't make you go faster. I found these at 65psi out-rolled my son who was running 23mm rubinos.

I can send you some part-used ones - for postage plus a small consideration.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2009, 03:17:55 pm »
TBH I would go with the Panaracer Mach SS or SK tyres, same casing as the Fires.  SS is Semi-slick and SK semi-knob, both have enough grip for slippy/wet roads but not too much to slow you down.

I currently run these on my MTB hack bike, fantastic tyres.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ed_o_brain

« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2009, 11:14:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

I wound up going for tried/trusted Marathons. Actually, it made most sense as these are what we run quite happily on the Tandem in 1.5" format.

I'm not sure a 1.95" tyre (e.g. the panaracer) would fit under the mudguards, certainly doubts about the ones with wide shoulders or knobbles.

I dare say the Marathon XCRs will be back on for next summer :)