Author Topic: Carling C2  (Read 6738 times)

Carling C2
« on: 08 May, 2008, 10:03:54 am »
CAMRA card-holding BEER purists please exit by this door: ------>

Surprisingly not as vile as thought it would be.

Now, if they did a 2% Stella or Kronenbourg I'd be even happier.

And will they please stop producing Lager with widgets in (Kronenbourg Dynamo, Fosters Scuba, etc). It's a shit idea. It fell on its arse 14 years ago when Guinness did Enigma.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Carling C2
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2008, 11:57:41 am »
Sometimes you want a refreshing drink with a meal but you want to ride or drive home afterwards, so I can see the case for this.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pete

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:29:03 pm »
Low (or zero) ABV beers are always going to be something to endure rather than something to enjoy, in my experience.  But sometimes one gets tired of OJ after OJ and just has to go for one of these, when on the road by car or bike.  Kaliber, Becks,  :sick: :sick: :sick:...  There used to be something around called Whitbread White Label (I think: about 1%).  Just about drinkable.  Not seen it for a while: has it disappeared?  Anyway, I'd be glad of any recommendations in the 0-1% range...

bikenerd

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:31:16 pm »
I'd rather drink shandy.  Or just lemonade.
Don't Stella do a lower alcohol version with a blue label?  Don't know how low it is.
And Lager with a widget in it is called John Smiths, isn't it?  ;D

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2008, 02:44:51 pm »
There used to be something around called Whitbread White Label (I think: about 1%).  Just about drinkable.  Not seen it for a while: has it disappeared?

Oh yes. That takes me back to the days when I used to do the bottling up in the morning in a Whitbread pub. That and trying to work out who the mystery person was that came in and drank a single Gold Label every day.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2008, 02:47:40 pm »
The stella with the blue label is Petermanns Artois, and it is (IIRC) 4%, so not actually that much less ABV than Stella...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:05:28 pm »
The stella with the blue label is Petermanns Artois, and it is (IIRC) 4%, so not actually that much less ABV than Stella...

Yup, I quite like Peeterman Artois although it is definitely a lot more watery than Stella.

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:18:08 pm »

Yup, I quite like Peeterman Artois although it is definitely a lot more watery than Stella.

Haven't tried Peeterman, sounds like another fictitious Magor creation certainly never heard of it in Belgium; can't stand 4% lager as all proper lager the world over is 4.5-5.5; although for some bizzare reason the UK seemed to have developed 3.2% and 9% as our standard sttrenghts; it was only a few years ago that 4.1% Black Label was being advertised as premium strenght.

4% bitter however  :P

Pete

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:38:50 pm »
4% is no good.  Half a pint (280ml) - the minimum quantity normally served in pubs - would still be over one unit, too much when driving.

I wish the breweries - and pubs - would move in the direction I - and possibly many others - would like them to take.  I'm quite sure it's feasible to brew a reasonably palatable 1% beer or lager.  The motoring - and cycling - clientele ought to be catered for.  And a pub is so often a good meal stop.  One gets tired of over-priced fruit juice - and I have no taste for proprietary soft drinks.

« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:41:50 pm »
Fighting Lager: Stella, Grolsch, Kronenbourg, Heineken Export (all of the 5%+ lagers)
Cooking Lager: Carlsberg, Carling, Fosters, Becks Vier, etc (4% lagers)

When C2 came out it was dubbed "Driving Lager".

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2008, 04:47:07 pm »
I commend Cobra 0% to the panel.

Even Hummers thought it was quite nice  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:14:54 pm »
There is a blue green label bottled stella that is only 0.5% - I haven't tried it yet but it is sold in Asda next to Kaliber. 

You can also get some decent German low acohol beers - Furstenberg etc.

« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:32:52 pm »
C2 is OK. I can usually only drink one coke and shandy is too sweet as are orange juice etc. If you are driving or even if you are on a big night out but don't want to get plastered then C2 will do the trick.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #13 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:34:45 pm »
There is a blue label bottled stella that is only 0.5% - I haven't tried it yet but it is sold in Asda next to Kaliber.

Kaliber is Devil's urine, but I'll look out for 0.5% Stella. Ta.

vince

« Reply #14 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:15:19 am »
The only way of drinking Kaliber is to chill it to the point where it loses all taste. Even then it was revolting. I used to be able to drink Swan Light, which was 1% iirc. I like C2, it's not the most flavoursome brew, but it is very handy if I fancy a pint at lunchtime without wanting to spend the rest of the afternoon snoozing. It's also handy for drinking several pints in the evening without having a thick head the next day. I wouldn't recommend driving on it though.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #15 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:50:51 am »
I had some C2 last night (as it is acceptable to WeightWatchers  :thumbsup: ) - not too bad, if a little sweet for my taste.  I shall see if I can find the low alcohol WifebeaterTM anywhere and give that a try too...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Martin

« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:05:46 am »
C2 seems very expensive considering the duty which is almost nothing on 2% beer (Sainsbury's 2.2% value stuff is about 88p for 4 and complete muck). Sweetness is what make "NABLABs" unpalatable to me; would rather just drink half as much 4%

« Reply #17 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:16:12 am »
Another vote for Cobra 0% - when you can get hold of it - seems it's only Tescos that occasionally stock it round my way :(
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #18 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:21:53 pm »
In Sweden, Pripps Blue at 2.2% has been around for donkeys years as a mainstay beer.  It's not heaven in a glass, but very presentable.  I've oft wondered how it would have done over here as a half-way house between regular strength and alcohol-free.

vince

« Reply #19 on: 11 May, 2008, 09:14:53 pm »
I was drinking 0.5% Stella this afternoon. Quite palatable and it didn't have the nasty taste that Kaliber and Clausthaler (remember that) have.

When we were young we used to drink Mann's brown ale. It was the perfect pint for underage drinkers in the pub: sweet for uneducated young taste buds, expensive to prevent you going mad on the stuff and 2.8% to avoid you getting so pissed that the landlord threw you out :)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #20 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:40:48 am »
Another vote for Cobra 0% - when you can get hold of it - seems it's only Tescos that occasionally stock it round my way :(

Wahey!  My Sainsbury's stock it.  A case is chilling in the fridge and several bottles were consumed yesterday!  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21 on: 12 May, 2008, 11:01:58 am »
I think Kaliber tastes OK when it's going down, but it has a weird vegetable aftertaste.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #22 on: 12 May, 2008, 12:57:51 pm »
I'm intrigued that this selection includes a couple of alcohol-free real ales (a wheat beer and a stout).

:D

« Reply #23 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:11:02 pm »
I particularly like the idea of an alcohol free wheat beer. I may have to order some of these.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #24 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:18:09 pm »
Another vote for Cobra 0 here :)

Widgets serve Boddingtons well :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium