Author Topic: Squirrels and nuts  (Read 876 times)

Squirrels and nuts
« on: 07 October, 2009, 06:50:41 pm »
Our woods are full of squirrels burying their nuts (and acorns) in large numbers all around.  They were a bit miffed when we extended our gravel paths a couple of weeks ago, and there were quite a few puzzled-looking squirrels sitting in the middle of the path with a "I could have sworn I buried my nuts around here..." look on their face.

Well, one of the puzzled squirrels has got revenge!  I went down there to take some autumn photos and put the wildlife camera up again today.  I keep an old pair of walking boots and socks down there for such occasions, so I don't have to drive in boots, and can visit unplanned and still find suitable footwear awaiting me.

I lifted out the left sock and put my foot into the boot - ouch!  Not a squirrel, but a lovely stash of acorns in my left boot.  And it had nibbled my sock too!  Only my left boot, mind you.

It had removed some of the insulation around the bottom of the corrugated steel side of the building and got itself in.  I suspect we'll find all sorts of little stashes of nuts when we look closer.
Spinning, but not cycling...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Squirrels and nuts
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2009, 09:34:41 pm »
Kill them.  Kill them all.

(assuming they're not BRITISH red ones)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.