Author Topic: Pumpkins  (Read 3676 times)

Pumpkins
« on: 19 October, 2009, 09:31:34 am »
My local fruit and veg barrow has lots of Pumpkins  for sale. I want to try my hand at Pumpkin soup so all recipes welcome.  How do I pick a perfect Pumpkin ?  How do you judge ripeness etc ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

border-rider

Re: Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2009, 09:42:17 am »
Not too big.

Smaller ones have more flavour.

Ripeness by colour, mostly.  They don't really go squashy ;)

Mrs MV's top tip is to slice it and roast it first, then make soup. Otherwise it can be a bit bland.

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2009, 09:46:18 am »
Don't buy one of the massive 'jack o lantern' pumpkins for eating - chances are it'll be watery, flavourless and stringy.  Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's baked pumpkin soup is lovely: RiverCottage.net

Tips in a recent vegbox flier too: Farm news - Riverford on Sacrewell Farm

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2009, 02:45:34 pm »
I am pumpkinned out here in Canada... we have made pumpkin everything. One thing I have discovered is that the texture of roasted, then mashed pumpkin lends itself very well to Indian desert spicing (cardamon, cloves etc.) and mixed with cream and maple syrup makes for an interesting variation on either a creme caramel or a pumpkin pie (depending on the amount of liquid and whether you put it in a crust. Also pecan nuts, pumpkin and maple syrup are an unbeatable combination.

Continuing the nut theme: butternut squash (or pumpkin), blue cheese and either hazelnut or walnut tarts are brilliant. I fry up finely chopped leaks in butter, rather than using onion, and make a savoury custard-type filling for the tarts. The pumpkin is roasted first (that's one thing I almost always do before using it for anything), and chopped into little cubes. The cheese is also cubed (I like an orange blue cheese like Blacksticks Blue for this). Crushed hazlenuts or walnuts (you can roast them first too if you like). Fresh grated nutmeg, salt and pepper and perhaps some chopped flatleaf parsley, if you have any. Mix all that up and put it in the pastry cases (which you will already have blind-baked of course... wholemeal pastry can be very good for this). Chuck them in the oven. Lovely.

« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2009, 06:09:21 pm »
I am pumpkinned out here in Canada... we have made pumpkin everything. One thing I have discovered is that the texture of roasted, then mashed pumpkin lends itself very well to Indian desert spicing (cardamon, cloves etc.) and mixed with cream and maple syrup makes for an interesting variation on either a creme caramel or a pumpkin pie (depending on the amount of liquid and whether you put it in a crust. Also pecan nuts, pumpkin and maple syrup are an unbeatable combination.

Continuing the nut theme: butternut squash (or pumpkin), blue cheese and either hazelnut or walnut tarts are brilliant. I fry up finely chopped leaks in butter, rather than using onion, and make a savoury custard-type filling for the tarts. The pumpkin is roasted first (that's one thing I almost always do before using it for anything), and chopped into little cubes. The cheese is also cubed (I like an orange blue cheese like Blacksticks Blue for this). Crushed hazlenuts or walnuts (you can roast them first too if you like). Fresh grated nutmeg, salt and pepper and perhaps some chopped flatleaf parsley, if you have any. Mix all that up and put it in the pastry cases (which you will already have blind-baked of course... wholemeal pastry can be very good for this). Chuck them in the oven. Lovely.

:P   Your wife is a very lucky lady FM !

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5 on: 19 October, 2009, 06:37:33 pm »
I have a recipe for pumpkin & goat cheese lasagne somewhere, but I make it with butternut squash because pumpkins are usually so tasteless.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2009, 06:47:03 pm »

What's your address and when is dinner normally on the table?  :P

PM in case Teethgrinder sees this thread....  ;)

;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #7 on: 20 October, 2009, 01:18:32 am »
What's your address and when is dinner normally on the table?  :P

Ha, well you'd be very welcome if you happened to pass by! And actually I'm not doing most of the cooking these days as my wife is home being very pregnant so I have to put up with excellent Japanese food instead. I did actually make a pumpkin creme caramel for friends last week thought and this weekend I made some proper Thai fishcakes with lon (a rich coconut milk-based sauce). Today I made some rather nice sunflower seed, honey and olive oil bread... but my wife topped that with peanut butter cookies! You really can't beat homemade peanut butter cookies...

« Reply #8 on: 20 October, 2009, 08:25:37 am »
So when's the cookery programme being filmed ? :-P

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #9 on: 20 October, 2009, 02:11:59 pm »
Wow, that sounds brilliant.

My only pumpkin recipe is roast / steam pumpkin cubes, blend with ginger and stock to make pumpkin & ginger soup.  That's a great one if you've got a stinking cold.

« Reply #10 on: 24 October, 2009, 09:44:09 pm »
I bought a pumpking today, to the consternation of the lad ;D. Pumpkin and ginger soup might be a good idea.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #11 on: 24 October, 2009, 09:49:53 pm »
I bought a pumpking today, to the consternation of the lad ;D. Pumpkin and ginger soup might be a good idea.
Cream of of course?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

border-rider

« Reply #12 on: 24 October, 2009, 09:57:53 pm »
The Volio household is well-pumpkined up :)

These for eating:

These big chaps for carving:

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #13 on: 26 October, 2010, 09:38:01 pm »
Oi you punks sorry pumps people  ::-)

Lets talk  recipes, I want to make a few of these for a friends halloween party so recomendtions.

Thinking it will be one big one and a few smaller ones.

« Reply #14 on: 27 October, 2010, 05:22:54 am »
There are a variety of recipes on the Internet.

Try Cooks.com - Recipe Search and More for many examples, the BBC etc,etc
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

LindaG

« Reply #15 on: 27 October, 2010, 12:46:54 pm »
I'm getting a top-notch pumpkin soup recipe from my friend at work tonight, together with a pumpkin off their allotment.  She brought some of the soup in for her lunch one day and we were all drooling at the aroma.  I tasted it and it is divine.

I shall spread the joy after work tomorrow.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #16 on: 27 October, 2010, 02:37:08 pm »
There are a variety of recipes on the Internet.

Try Cooks.com - Recipe Search and More for many examples, the BBC etc,etc

Just wondering what people have tried.

« Reply #17 on: 27 October, 2010, 04:00:52 pm »
Just wondering what people have tried.

We had pumpkin and stilton soup at the weekend and it was delicious.
Small pumpkins, roasted in their skins and then scooped out and mixed with a sweated onion, seasoning, stilton and a splash of marsala. Then whizzed up with a thingy.
You'd probably not want to roast yours whole if you want them for lanterns after.

« Reply #18 on: 27 October, 2010, 08:20:42 pm »
Pumpkin soup, scones, lasagne (very good - let me know if you want a recipe), wedges, and my MIL makes a great pumpkin based fruit cake. I can also get you that recipe if you want.
I also make gramma pie(sweet) - a type of pumpkin - and it would probably work with other varieties.

I love pumpkin!
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #19 on: 28 October, 2010, 12:00:28 pm »
Regarding a pumpkin (soup):

1) Be careful ready made stock cubes/powder. They can ruin everything in a good soup. Avoid or use with care.
2) Sherry. Pumpkin goes very, very well with Sherry. Use it instead of vinegar in a soup. You can also make a sherry based marinade for oven roasted pumpkins. I usually use medium or cream Sherry.

EDIT: I don't have an opinion on drinking Sherry with Pumpkin tough.
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20 on: 28 October, 2010, 12:45:39 pm »
Smashing.

Me + coat > taxi.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #21 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:03:10 pm »
We always eat our used Hallowe'en pumpkins although they're not necessarily the best. Roast pumpkin soup (as mentioned by MV and others upthread) is definitely a winner. Put some garlic in with the slices of pumpkin being roasted for extra flavour. You can make a huge batch and freeze what you don't need straight away.

Another Woofage family favourite is Thai-style curry. It's fine either as a veggie curry (with, say, mushrooms) or with firm fish such as salmon or monkfish or else some nice big prawns. Plenty of recipes about.
Pen Pusher

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #22 on: 03 November, 2010, 02:55:50 pm »
Another Woofage family favourite is Thai-style curry. It's fine either as a veggie curry (with, say, mushrooms) or with firm fish such as salmon or monkfish or else some nice big prawns. Plenty of recipes about.

I tried this last night - pumpkin curry works well: Chunky chopped pumpkin pieces are tasty in an Indian style hot curry (no Sherry this time...).
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

LindaG

« Reply #23 on: 03 November, 2010, 03:23:32 pm »
Okay, Ritchie and Jo's pumpkin soup recipe.

1kg pumpkin, fried in a big dollop of butter with an onion for 5 minutes.

Add a small glass of white wine and a crushed clove of garlic.  Simmer for another five minutes.

Add a pint and a half of stock and some Parmesan.  Ten more minutes.

Cool.  Bung in food processor.

Reheat gently, add some cream. 

Blummin' lovely it was.  Ritchie says to drizzle with truffle oil.  We didn't have any.  We got over it.