Author Topic: Bivvy bag: does anyone have experience of using any of these?  (Read 7258 times)

alan

Bivvy bag: does anyone have experience of using any of these?
« on: 24 October, 2009, 02:36:43 pm »

Terra Nova Jupiter single hoop bag
Snugpak Sratosphere  hooped bag
Rab Ridge Hooped Raider

or other hooped bag worthy of recommendation based on personal experience.

TIA

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: Bivvy bag: does anyone have experience of using any of these?
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2009, 04:17:44 pm »
I've never used one of those as I have a basic goretex army one.
They are fine for the odd night but are only for sleeping obviously.
You have to think about where you are going to get changed or what you are going to do if it rains.
I tend to sleep on my front so the hooped ones won't make a difference to me, if I slept on my back having the bag away from my face would be a benefit though.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2009, 04:56:28 pm »
At first glace, these look a great idea for a lightweight tour, but the hoopless ones leave me with visions of waking up with a gastropod on my face :(.  How well sealed at the hooped ones?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

alan

« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2009, 05:07:04 pm »
I've never used one of those as I have a basic goretex army one.
They are fine for the odd night but are only for sleeping obviously.
You have to think about where you are going to get changed or what you are going to do if it rains.
I tend to sleep on my front so the hooped ones won't make a difference to me, if I slept on my back having the bag away from my face would be a benefit though.

It is ,initially, for S24 type riding.Sleeping near a pub for evening meal will be tested ;) & if I feel that longer rides/more nights are do-able I shall borrow TKP's DLWG to deal with the rain.I also need a silk liner to add a season-rating to my bag or a new 3 season one
The first test will be on Cannock Chase.There is one other nutter forum member who has expressed an interest.This location will provide an overnight site with pub for evening meal & cafe for breakfast .
I don't have a solution to getting changed other than wriggling aboot inside the bag ;D unless  camping on a formal site with a shower block.
It will also allow night riding involving late pm/early am starts with power napping with protection from the weather whenever I feel the need.
I might also try using a tarp but this would be approaching the same weight/bulk as using my Vaude MK II ultralight but without all the space advantages of the tent height & double porches.
A planned C2C early in 2010 would also provide a suitable test for roughing it a little for a couple of nights.

alan

« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2009, 05:08:25 pm »
At first glace, these look a great idea for a lightweight tour, but the hoopless ones leave me with visions of waking up with a gastropod on my face :(How well sealed at the hooped ones?

As good as tent zip I expect

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: 24 October, 2009, 05:25:20 pm »
Has she chucked you out again?  ::-)

Chris N

« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2009, 05:59:48 pm »
There is one other nutter forum member who has expressed an interest.

O:-)

If you want a tent, take a tent.  If you want a my first bivvy, get a cheap hoopless one - army surplus, Rab, Alpkit - and work out if you like bivvying or not.  The hooped bivvys are more expensive than some decent, lightweight tents. :o  If you want to stay out of the rain, get a tarp.  For one night, I might not bother with the tarp.

« Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2009, 07:40:02 pm »
I've been exploring this for awhile.
I have an army bivi bag but met a guy who woke up in one with a slug crawling across his face.
Cycleman of this parish regularly uses a TN Jupiter. He carries it along with his tent and pitches whichever is appropriate for his campsite or expected time of departure. If the weather is likely to be poor, but he wants to be away early or needs to be unnoticed, he pitches a tarp first.
I've bought a TN Jupiter but only used it once, as yet.

Never knowingly under caffeinated

alan

« Reply #8 on: 24 October, 2009, 07:49:26 pm »

So,what are your first impressions?

alan

« Reply #9 on: 24 October, 2009, 07:56:27 pm »
There is one other nutter forum member who has expressed an interest.

O:-)

If you want a tent, take a tent.  If you want a my first bivvy, get a cheap hoopless one - army surplus, Rab, Alpkit - and work out if you like bivvying or not.  The hooped bivvys are more expensive than some decent, lightweight tents. :o  If you want to stay out of the rain, get a tarp.  For one night, I might not bother with the tarp.

I am certain that I do not want a hoopless bag.The low profile aspect of bivvying is appealing:sleep almost anywhere,anytime.
If I like it to the extent that I am comfortable to do several nights in it I will consider using it,together with a couple of B&B nights, to do LEJoG via  a west coast route in a more economic manner than last time
OOOPs,that let the cat out of the bag :demon:

« Reply #10 on: 24 October, 2009, 07:57:50 pm »
No, but I'm tempted by the Rab and the Terra Nova until I realise that what I've got now does the job nearly all the time  (the mosquito net on the Rab could be a plus in other climes, tho)

Used a goretex bivvy bag on numerous hiking / backpacking trips in the early 90s and on first long
cycle tour, in '97.  In '99 bought a Kathmandu Trekking basha tent for £80 and when I look back i think what a head-banger I was  ;)

Bivvy still comes in handy, tho: I like sleeping under the stars whenever feasible and still often take it on tour. It's pleasantly quick to get packed and moving in the morning. The goretex is shot but it is windproof and still keeps out dew. Even when new the goretex had limitations  - seams leaked and in heavier rain there's be puddles on the sleeping mat. For this reason, I'd often take along a polythene sheet (the sort mattresses come in), but this meant heavy condensation. Mostly I'd try to find some kind of shelter if I thought there would be more than light showers or drizzle. This led to the happy discovery that the ten-to-six weather forecast on R4 is surprisingly accurate  :)

(edit after seeing Alan's latest post)
A hooped bivvy would avoid many of the problems with rain I had. Be interested to hear how you go on  :)

« Reply #11 on: 24 October, 2009, 09:06:47 pm »

So,what are your first impressions?

It was OK. I used it at Wolverley under my tent fly rather than string a tarp.
I woke to some dampness in my down quilt. It was a fine day so I was able to air the quilt later but next time I'll use my synthetic quilt which will be warmer than down if still damp.
I'm intending to do some s24o camps so I'll be bivvying again. I wouldn't want to use it for an extended tour but Chris Smith of Bewdley did when he cycled to Beijing.
If you want to take a look at it and compare it with an army one pm me. I'm just a little South of The Chase.
Have you read the Book of the Bivvy?

alan

« Reply #12 on: 24 October, 2009, 09:11:50 pm »
When I am next in your area nobby I will PM you.Thanks for the offer,it's appreciated.

Zoidburg

« Reply #13 on: 24 October, 2009, 09:12:48 pm »
The basic military issue one is good quality thick goretex and has plenty of room in it, they are well made and are not a cheap bit of kit new.

It will work fine, even if it's really pissing it down or freezing.

« Reply #14 on: 24 October, 2009, 09:20:28 pm »
The basic military issue one is good quality thick goretex and has plenty of room in it, they are well made and are not a cheap bit of kit new.

It will work fine, even if it's really pissing it down or freezing.

...... but they have no mesh to keep out flies or slugs  :)

Zoidburg

« Reply #15 on: 24 October, 2009, 09:57:27 pm »
Just slap on enough Deet to melt plastic :thumbsup:

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #16 on: 24 October, 2009, 10:10:38 pm »
Just slap on enough Deet to melt plastic :thumbsup:

That takes care of the flies.  But what about the gastropods?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Zoidburg

« Reply #17 on: 24 October, 2009, 10:15:50 pm »
If it will melt plastic it will melt a slug - in fact I think it is meant to work with leeches as well.

*Shudder*

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 24 October, 2009, 10:18:54 pm »
Carry a catering pack of cooking salt and lay out a barrier of salt between you and the outside world. Slugs will have to climb trees to get a go in your mouth when you are asleep!
It is simpler than it looks.

Zoidburg

« Reply #19 on: 24 October, 2009, 10:19:35 pm »
A ring of salt also keeps away vampires.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 24 October, 2009, 10:20:51 pm »
I spent many nights wild camping in an unhooped bivvy bag and never had any gastropod advances.  I did once get woken up by a pheasant landing on my chest (from inside my bag, I thought it might be a farmer about to give me ten seconds to leave before he started shooting)
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 24 October, 2009, 10:50:06 pm »
only if it's garlic salt  :)

Zoidburg

« Reply #22 on: 24 October, 2009, 10:55:00 pm »
This is how you know if someone has been touring in eastern europe :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: 24 October, 2009, 11:15:47 pm »
This is how you know if someone has been touring in eastern europe :thumbsup:

Not me, I'm frightened of vampires. I sneaked in the cinema when I was 14 and saw the Seven Brides of Dracula. Scared me for life  :)

« Reply #24 on: 25 October, 2009, 12:39:26 am »
I bought my own (very expensive) Gore-Tex bivvy bag when  first joined the Army, but it didn't see much hardcore use as we were issued them soon after.   I still have it, and it still works well, athough it has an L shape zip and zipping yourself up completely isn't everyone's cup of tea.  

The Army issue ones are very good - no zip, but they have a drawstring which allows you to draw the top up tight, leaving a small hole to breathe through, so the bag doesn't get moist with condensation.  

In my experience, a bivvy bag alone won't keep you dry in prolonged heavy rain.  Gore-Tex does let water through eventually, through zips, seams and small holes, and once it's not brand-new or recently re-proofed, throught the fabric itself, as it wears and the membrane starts breaking down.  

To get a comfortable nights kip in a bivvy bag, you really need to be under shelter - for example a PU coated nylon poncho bungied by its corners to four trees, or in a bus shelter or cave.  You also need a camping mat, although a shoulder-to-hip length one does the job.

I'd choose a lightweight hike tent almost every time these days.  My North Face Tadpole weigs 1.7 Kg all in, and is big enough to change and sit up in, and you can cook in the bell end.  It's not that stealthy though, and if you're camping in places where you'd rather nooone knew you were there, a bivvy would have it's advantages.

I did borrow a double-hoop Goretex job once and slept in it for one night.  They were touted as the dream solution for military field use, but I found I prefered the Army issue one, being far less of a faff, and less prone to condensation provided your mouth wasn't inside it.

Slugs?  No problem.  Just don't eat them, they can come with some really nasty parasites.