Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 1777321 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #21100 on: April 12, 2021, 11:03:03 am »
Bloody freezing. Ice cream headache for the first five miles and just as I started to warm up it started snowing!

By the time I'd done the full 26 miles I could hardly feel my toes or fingers. Could have done with a warm hat too.

Ah well, it's meant to be warmer at least for the way home.

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21101 on: April 12, 2021, 11:21:56 am »
I expected it to be cold. I didn’t expect it to start drizzling but OK. I really didn’t expect it to start snowing! Hopefully it will be nicer heading home.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #21102 on: April 15, 2021, 10:41:29 am »
Another close pass on the A264 dual carriageway today. No deviation from their line at all as far as I could make out.

I'm getting pissed off with this. There is an alternative route but it's longer and "scenic". As lockdown eases there's more motorised traffic around, but I think I'll start getting up earlier to use the longer route.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #21103 on: April 15, 2021, 10:45:13 am »
Strap a garden fork perpendicularly across your rack ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #21104 on: April 15, 2021, 03:46:28 pm »
Strap a garden fork perpendicularly across your rack ?

For a while I attached an old ski pole across the rack. Unable to devise a cheap quick release mechanism that didn't release over speed bumps though.

Eventually wiped it off when I misjudged a stupid cyclepath gate.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #21105 on: April 15, 2021, 09:49:33 pm »
Had a bolus of cars come past me on the way in, second from last leaving far less room than the others, he got a "what the hell?!" wave. Last car decided leaning on the horn as he went past was reasonable. It's not like there was even anything oncoming to stop them giving me room.

Idiots.

I'm wondering about using the machine shop to make a bar mounted blunderbuss full of nuts and bolts.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #21106 on: April 15, 2021, 10:16:01 pm »
So I had a stab at an optimised (looked at map, drew a straightish line) route that went the hilly way this evening. Tracked it with Osmand. 1h 6m, average speed 23.9kmh-1. And despite a short section on the A23 up towards Pease Pottage, almost serenely quiet.  Of course going home has more descent than ascent (281m vs 216m),so I'll have to suck that up in the morning, but It's worth it I reckon.  It'll be interesting to see how much the long (FSVO long) drag to the midway summit slows me down.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #21107 on: April 16, 2021, 04:09:38 pm »
I cycled in to the office for only the second time this year. Then everyone but me and the organiser of the meeting I was there for didn't turn up, because they thought it would be on MS Teams :facepalm:

Nice day for a ride in though. The organiser apologised for making me ride in for a cancelled meeting, and I actually pointed out I was missing my daily commute to work, even if someone's been making the hills bigger in my absence.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Guy

• You can trust me - I work for the government
« Reply #21108 on: April 26, 2021, 07:55:02 am »
Nothing special to report other than it was my first time on a bike since last September. I finally managed to wrestle the brane weasels into a box and shut them up. I rode the bridleway I've been walking for the past seven months, mainly to avoid having to ride up Sodding-Great-Hill-With-Added-Speed-Humps into a biting head wind. Instead, I had to put up with the civvy version - Sodding-Great-Hill-With-Added-Loose-Gravel-And-Deep-Soft-Sand into a biting head wind :facepalm:.

On the plus sid, it felt good to be riding again. :thumbsup:
This age thinks better of a gilded fool / Than of a threadbare saint in Wisdom's school
Thomas Dekker c1598

« Reply #21109 on: April 26, 2021, 09:57:53 pm »
I decided to try the shortcut through the woods on my electric bike.

Nooooope, won't do that again. Far too skittery. And since modifying my road route it only saves me a mile or so instead of the three it used to so time wise it comes out about even.

Though it does mean I can avoid crossing a rush hour A22 dual cabbageway.

fd3

« Reply #21110 on: April 28, 2021, 09:47:11 am »
Rain.
Waterproof top - dry
Waterproof overtrousers - dry
Overshoes - appear to have sucked up all the water and deposited it in my socks, must have wetter feet than had I just ridden in without the overshoes!
Strange things are afoot at the circle K.

« Reply #21111 on: April 28, 2021, 11:18:23 am »
I assume you did put your overshoes underneath your trousers so water running down you legs didn't just run inside them?

I have a pair of really nice Shimano Goretex mountain bike boots (MT90?) that are like leather walking boots with a decent sole and a cleat fitting. But the only way I found to stop them filling up with water when it rained was to wear walking gaiters over the top of them.
They ended up being relegated to cold/dry weather boots.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21112 on: April 29, 2021, 01:16:56 pm »
Dressed for January (appropriate for temperature), leaves on trees like it was late April.  Decided to ride in the summer route via Old Woking rather than let the Prince of Darkness programmed traffic lights in Camberley get under my skin and was rewarded by every traffic light from Putney to Parliament Square being against me. 
Eddington Numbers 125 (imperial), 175 (metric) 529 (furlongs)  112 (nautical miles)

fd3

« Reply #21113 on: May 01, 2021, 11:03:47 am »
White van must have broken down, needing a push start.  Driver coasts along slowly, then takes a left into traffic with cars oncoming (because he couldn’t restart could he, natch).  I would have thought breakdown lights and honking your horn would be apropos at this point, especially if you are driving past a nursery.
Strange things are afoot at the circle K.