Author Topic: Lost my cycling mojo  (Read 22025 times)

seventytwo

Re: Lost my cycling mojo
« Reply #25 on: 30 December, 2009, 01:42:04 pm »
Yep, it's been a week since I was on the bike and I feel really lethargic, don't want to go out there at all.  

I'm going to force myself now, it's only 9 degrees, wet but not icy, and I'm thinking about how when I come back from a good vigorous ride I always feel full of happy positive energy.  

Let's see how that goes....
 :-\

--Edit:

10 miles later, much better  :thumbsup:  Though I can't say I enjoyed it, it was a struggle all the way except the last straight home. 

« Reply #26 on: 30 December, 2009, 03:24:20 pm »
Managed to get out for an 8.6 mile pootle.  First time on the bike since 14th.  And I've survived.

I went via the LBS to book the bike in for next week.  There's a collection of horrible noises coming from the back and I can't sort out what's wrong.  I will feel much happier riding once they've stopped!

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 04 July, 2014, 11:40:15 pm »
I think those horseflies have had off with mine (she says, missing a perfectly good FNRttC).

Think I need more camping and less Wythall.  And working lungs.

levitator

« Reply #28 on: 11 July, 2014, 03:38:46 pm »
I suppose I should explain myself, being new on here, that I've been through something similar over recent years.  But am back on bike, working part time preparing for retirement, so I do have time to go for rides.  Not long ones, 15 to 20 miles maybe, ought to go more often.  But the occasional short ride is better than no rides.

For a long time. months maybe years even, I could hardly face the bike, only got on it when I absolutely forced myslef to.  I put it down to feeling bad about snobbery from other cyclists I'm afraid, I won't go in to details.

These things happen but it passes.  Some sufferers may sell their bike.  I didn't.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #29 on: 31 December, 2014, 12:40:55 am »
Got all dressed up but didn't get myself out of the door yesterday. My mojo has taken a serious hit since July, and now I'm terrified of falling off and landing on my arm which is putting me off riding, especially if there's a chance of ice.

It's going to chuck it down here today but I have to get out there and do something.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #30 on: 31 December, 2014, 05:53:41 am »
I've not been out much over the last two months.  Running had something to do with that, so missed usual club runs etc.  Also, like others, all my big cycling things had been done by October.  Hampshire and Berkshire in dull December doesn't help to overcome memories of the Alps in the summer.

Wonder if Mrs CET will notice that I've not been on the bike over the Christmas period.

Lethargy will come to a rude stop on Saturday with the Poor Student
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #31 on: 31 December, 2014, 05:23:29 pm »
My observation, in myself and in others, is that for many people it is about objectives/targets or whatever.

When I raced (now over 10 years distant) there was a reason to go out on the bike. I had e.g. a training camp to be ready for and then some targetted events. I didn't want to go out, but I knew I had to.

Then I had a few years of "if I can tick over OK then once work allows I can get back to racing".

Now I'm increasingly convinced that this will never happen, and therefore there's no point to going out, unless it's a really nice day and I can go for a relaxed ride.

I know that others have different targets, and whatever works for them is good.

If, for you, completing an Audax, or doing x number of miles keeps you motivated, this is the thing to concentrate on and it will maintain your focus.

I've just found this - 5 years on!

In 2012 someone passed onto me a message inviting previous riders to a 30 year anniversary race weekend in Belgium. It sounded attractive, so I set to trying to get fit enough to ride it. I knew it would be a long haul.
In 2013 I got fit enough to "get round" 50+ races (I'm an over 60, but little racing for just that age group)(on the right courses!). I rode the Belgian event and "got round" the time trial and road race (just)
In 2014 I did 4 weeks in Mallorca, rode quite a lot of racing, rode the anniversary edition of the race in Belgium and got into the money (50-65 group), and rode the Duo Normand.
In the course of this I have started riding smarter (power meter etc), using a Wattbike a lot, especially over the winter, and have lost nearly 5 stone.
In 2015 there will be 6 weeks in Mallorca, plans for Belgium and the Duo, and other UK and European events. I'm enjoying being able to ride more effectively again!

Like I said back in 2009 - it's about having an objective - for me at least! Without that initial interesting invitation to Belgium I doubt I'd have the motivation to try to get back to cycling as I enjoy it.

So I guess it is about determining what it is about cycling that is key to your enjoyment, and then setting some SMART (management speak, but useful) objectives that will work for you AND be understood and supported by those around you.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #32 on: 31 December, 2014, 05:38:28 pm »
Like I said back in 2009 - it's about having an objective - for me at least! Without that initial interesting invitation to Belgium I doubt I'd have the motivation to try to get back to cycling as I enjoy it.

according to one famous life coach "it's in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped" :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #33 on: 31 December, 2014, 05:48:03 pm »
Motivation low here too.  OK in November, nothing startling but a comfortable number of 100k runs.  Then in November one of our dogs needed the vet and I strained my fragile sacroiliac holding him (the dog) on the examination table. Two weeks off, then a 30k loop, a 50 and another 30, then down came the rain, the snow and Christmas.  Indoors is oh so comfy now...

Still, I've had lay-offs like this before, and 2015 had its own attractions.  I'll be back.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #34 on: 31 December, 2014, 06:04:42 pm »
Thank goodness for this thread  :thumbsup: I`ve really had  to force myself to get out at times; BUT I find that if I don`t get out cycling I feel worse-----so having various targets has helped me to get out (eg completed the 500 miles / month today). But am questioning whether this is sensible, if I`m not enjoying cycling why do it? `spose answer is if I don`t I feel worse for not doing so !

I guess it`s a lot to do with time of year / SAD / having to put lodsa kit on for weather, getting cold, wet etc when in particular this summer in UK was joy to be out and cycling  ;D . However the old adage `winter miles , summer smiles` keeps me motivated to continue when it isn`t all sunny and warm.

And so on towards the 200km jan sale this Saturday....how many layers, what waterproof, spare gloves, all slightly depressing to contemplate  ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #35 on: 31 December, 2014, 06:15:53 pm »
Decided to face up to the falling off hang up and go off road today. Took a while to get out of the door but once I was out I started to enjoy myself. Didn't fall off and feel a little better I think.

So now I need to work on getting out to start with.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #36 on: 07 February, 2015, 07:37:34 pm »
I know what you all need!    A reason. !

next time you need a pint of milk, or something from the diy store, or even a paper, tell yourself its a utility ride, not for pleasure. I guarantee, that once the ride / errend is completed, you'll start to fettle a tad, may be clean a tad also, BUT THIS WAS NOT FOR PLEASURE , YOU UNDERSTAND, IT WAS JUST A SHORT UTILITY RIDE.!!! 

Works for me every time. ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #37 on: 07 February, 2015, 08:04:55 pm »
That, Blodwyn, and GREAT friends who change there plans so as to encourage you to go out on a bike ride.

Good friends, everyone should have them, I know I do.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #38 on: 09 February, 2015, 02:08:45 pm »
It's nice cycling on winter nights if you dress appropriately.
" Look, no hands "

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 07 March, 2015, 06:03:24 pm »
First properly sunny and warm day of the year, and I'm completely mojo-less.

I'm knackered from going out yesterday, so perhaps barakta's right and I'm still not over the lingery lurgy we've both had.

I'm failing to fettle, too, which doesn't help.

« Reply #40 on: 28 September, 2017, 06:12:58 pm »
Time to resurrect this thread...

I haven't been on my bike for a week. I just can't be bothered. Was supposed to be out tonight but a combination of tiredness (bad night's sleep) and mislaying my Garmin (I need it to navigate to the meeting point; at least I hope it's just mislaid rather than lost!) means I'm just vegetating instead. :(

« Reply #41 on: 28 September, 2017, 06:21:32 pm »
Perhaps you just need a rest.

A week?  I can go much longer than that, particularly when the weather is not brilliant.

Might show you do not have an addiction.

I note you are still attracted to a cycling related forum, so I would not worry too much.

« Reply #42 on: 28 September, 2017, 08:25:36 pm »
Only just managed to get past the 1000 mile mark for the year (normally by this stage of the year I would have
cycled between 3500 - 4500 miles). Fear of embarrassing myself in our local orchestra means I'm driven to practice
a lot at home, thus this takes precedence in my free time. Added to that, I'm working 12 hr shifts (inc nights),

which means my body-clock is out of sync for a few days, hence me feeling tired quite often.

« Reply #43 on: 30 September, 2017, 01:47:13 pm »
Finally dragged myself out on my bike this morning - only 30 miles and it started pissing down pretty much as soon as I left the flat. Wasn't particularly enjoyable because of the rain, and my bike is all mucky now. Still, at least I got out - was worried it was going to be a zero-miles week.

« Reply #44 on: 30 September, 2017, 02:15:22 pm »
When it happens to me, its usually at this time of year, after a long summer of good miles.  I should try taking an actual break rather than half heartedly planning to go out and failing.   Work is also a factor for me at this time of year :-(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #45 on: 30 September, 2017, 04:26:12 pm »
I'm t'other way round just now - done 3 rides of around 75 km this week & shaping up to go tomorrow (or maybe Monday). My problem is that in between I do SFA. Got a bunch of guitars I can't be bothered to play and a workshop full of tools to make them but all I feel like doing is bloody nothing. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #46 on: 30 September, 2017, 05:34:24 pm »
It happens to most of us from time to time. I suggest you get a black cat bone. Maybe a John the Conqueroo too. Then it will all come back and nobody will mess with you  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #47 on: 30 September, 2017, 06:11:21 pm »
..,.I suggest you get a black cat bone. Maybe a John the Conqueroo too. Then it will all come back and nobody will mess with you  :P
No idea what this means, or to whom it was directed.

« Reply #48 on: 30 September, 2017, 06:17:06 pm »
It was directed at anyone who has lost their "Cycling mojo". And obvioulsy those who have ever listened to a Muddy Waters song....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #49 on: 01 October, 2017, 12:35:23 pm »
I am now trying to picture Muddy Waters on a bike.

I am failing.

(Goes back to sleep in hollow log)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime