Author Topic: Blood donation  (Read 47818 times)

Re: Blood donation
« Reply #300 on: January 19, 2021, 04:47:31 pm »

thought: has anyone else wondered if they donate more slowly if the room is chillier?  I'm suspecting there's at least as much contribution to speed of donation from how well the needle was inserted tbh.

Yes, I definitely do. I used to donate platelets (too far from the donation centre now) and it was a massive factor. The staff will give you a heat pad if you are donating slowly. I used to take a blanket with me too.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Blood donation
« Reply #301 on: January 19, 2021, 08:28:17 pm »
gah! you have a better donation centre than I do.  :'(
limited to one snack I was, and only cold drinks, sob.  Having a leisurely chat & cuppa with multiple snacks makes it worthwhile/enjoyable, now banned.

thought: has anyone else wondered if they donate more slowly if the room is chillier?  I'm suspecting there's at least as much contribution to speed of donation from how well the needle was inserted tbh.

I am sure you are right, though cold donors won't have the nice big veins of warm folk if they have just come off the street, especially if they have not cycled or been running!

A warm waiting room, as well as donor hall, could improve 'flow'. I doubt this has been audited, though it should!