Author Topic: A Pork Chop  (Read 1713 times)

A Pork Chop
« on: 19 May, 2008, 08:57:48 pm »
Has never been my favourite piece of meat however a friend of mine has been raising a couple of rare breed pigs (Gloucester Old Spot I think) in his paddock. Nor strictly organic but definitely reasonably free range and with the minimum of commercial animal feed. At the weekend they dropped of a couple of chops a joint and a large piece of belly pork. Tonight myself and Pcolbeck junior had the chops. Lightly oiled and seasoned then three minutes a side on the skillet with some peas and a nice salad.
What a revelation. Pork that tastes of - well pork. Even the fat, of which there was a good half to three quarters of an inch was tasty. I can't wait for an opportunity to cook the belly pork (it's in the freezer).
I'm not an organic fanatic but good meat raised slowly is so much nicer than most of the stuff we get these days. I would rather be veggie most of the time and eat great meat a couple of times a week than eat supermarket meat no matter how cheap it is every day.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: A Pork Chop
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:03:44 pm »
I would rather be veggie most of the time and eat great meat a couple of times a week than eat supermarket meat no matter how cheap it is every day.

I think that's exactly the right attitude. We still eat too much meat here at Chateau Wow, but today's passata, involving pasta, cauliflower, chedar cheese and a big splodge of tomatoes, onions, herbs and a few other bis and pieces, was superb.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.