Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3007903 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #26175 on: 04 February, 2021, 10:05:48 pm »
When I lived in Newmarket St Norwich

That's by the old N&N hospital, isn't it? Worked there 1991-1993.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #26176 on: 04 February, 2021, 10:52:40 pm »
Houses in our road are numbered sequentially down one side, then continue in the reverse direction on the other as they were built years later. Confuses delivery drivers no end.
I think that's not uncommon. But not common enough to be expected. The one that used to annoy me several decades ago as a m/c courier was when you had a numbered street but your destination had decided to dispense with the number and give themselves a name.

Near me there's a street with a number zero. There are actually two older houses beyond it but they're on a junction and I think are numbered from the main road, even though they now face onto the side street.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26177 on: 04 February, 2021, 11:02:12 pm »
Houses in our road are numbered sequentially down one side, then continue in the reverse direction on the other as they were built years later. Confuses delivery drivers no end.
I think that's not uncommon. But not common enough to be expected. The one that used to annoy me several decades ago as a m/c courier was when you had a numbered street but your destination had decided to dispense with the number and give themselves a name.

Near me there's a street with a number zero. There are actually two older houses beyond it but they're on a junction and I think are numbered from the main road, even though they now face onto the side street.

I think consecutive U-shaped numbering was the convention in the past.

0 The Vale, London NW11 is a big house.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26178 on: 05 February, 2021, 12:33:37 am »
Then there are oddities like 59 1/2 Southwark Street in SE1.  I used to work in there, until we moved the data centre a couple of doors up to 65.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26179 on: 05 February, 2021, 08:12:06 am »
I’ve survived my bodgery, although I don’t think the plunge saw I used was the most suitable device because it was a little short on power. I would have used my circular saw if I’d not been lazy, but that is somewhat buried behind the littlest furniture that we have stored in our garage since she came home.

The solution involved drilling holes in the base plate of the saw and screwing it to a suitable piece of timber. This was then clamped in the workmate with the blade protruding a la table saw. Another piece of scrap timber was screwed to the first as a rudimentary fence and a zip tie used to hold the switch on. Not the safest device known to man so great care was deployed and survival resulted.

Well done.  A couple of my portable electric doo-dahs have bits of fencing wire to hold the triggers down.  Oh for the days when the wee button on the side did this for you instead of being an H&S milksop's inhibition device.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #26180 on: 05 February, 2021, 08:12:31 am »
Oo, a strange house numbering sub-thread.

We moved from No 28 to No 29, that is across the road and some 12 houses further up. To our left is No 33 and to our right Nos 27A and 27. The odd numbers start with 1A then 1, 3 etc. Ours is one of the oldest houses on the road.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #26181 on: 05 February, 2021, 09:20:41 am »
When my parents lived in that Colorado their address was 4741 South Queen Street. South Queen Street being a cul-de-sac of 15 houses.  ???
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #26182 on: 05 February, 2021, 10:52:28 am »
Apparently, in Japan, the convention is to number the houses in a street in the order in which they were built.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #26183 on: 05 February, 2021, 10:57:21 am »
When my parents lived in that Colorado their address was 4741 South Queen Street. South Queen Street being a cul-de-sac of 15 houses.  ???

That's a strangeness caused by how house numbers generally work in the US.  Apparently the numbers are the from when they plots are assigned by the local authority.  Our friends live in 10655, which is on a street of no more than 15 houses! There nearest neighbour is in the 12XXX and the next one 9XXX.  I bet the post people are glad that there is no doorstep delivery
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #26184 on: 05 February, 2021, 11:43:08 am »
When I lived in Newmarket St Norwich

That's by the old N&N hospital, isn't it? Worked there 1991-1993.

Yep that's the one. I lived there 1981 - 1993.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26185 on: 05 February, 2021, 01:09:28 pm »
I have noted before in these hallowed portals the case of Super 8 Drive in Battle Mountain NV.  This contains precisely one (1) building.  Its number?  820.  Though to all intents and purposes the branch of The Scottish Restaurant next door is also located on Super 8 Drive, but its street address says otherwise.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26186 on: 05 February, 2021, 01:54:54 pm »
Moving away from house numbers, there's a trailer running at the moment on the anbaric far seeing device for a sports  (snwcer? darts?) to be held at the Celtic Manor in Wales.  It opens with a shot of two flags, one of which is the Union flag/jack.

It's upside down. It makes my teeth itch.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #26187 on: 05 February, 2021, 02:45:09 pm »
The Digby Estate, which used to own most of Sherborne (may well still do for all I know) had a habit of numbering the estate houses in the order they were build or acquired, wherever they were. This means you will occasionally come across a house in a small village with a number which is higher than the total number of houses in the village and bears no relationship to any other number in said village. Mind, the old bits of our village seem to have been numbered fairly randomly. In one place the numbers from one street carry on round to the next, so 25 South Street isn't in South Street at all, but Back Lane.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #26188 on: 05 February, 2021, 03:37:49 pm »
... one of which is the Union flag/jack.  It's upside down. It makes my teeth itch.
Given the distressing state of things here at the moment and the seemingly  imminent fragmentation of the union, flying it upside down seems entirely appropriate to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_signal#Inverted_flags
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #26189 on: 05 February, 2021, 03:41:49 pm »
... one of which is the Union flag/jack.  It's upside down. It makes my teeth itch.
Given the distressing state of things here at the moment and the seemingly  imminent fragmentation of the union, flying it upside down entirely appropriate to me.

Good spot.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26190 on: 05 February, 2021, 04:59:46 pm »
Given the distressing state of things here at the moment and the seemingly  imminent fragmentation of the union, flying it upside down entirely appropriate to me.

Good spot.

There is a school of thought that signalling distress can either be done in a way that flag geeks, Scouts and readers of Arthur Ransome will be able to decode or more usefully a GBFO sign with HELP written on it in large letters.  (I still need to take the Village Ensign to task over their habit of flying the Union flag upside down)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #26191 on: 05 February, 2021, 06:53:33 pm »
I’ve now completed the construction phase of my current DIY project with painting being the remaining task required to finish it.
I’m feeling pretty heroic though, not only because of yesterday’s premiere class bodgery, but today I also had to finish shaping the architrave with a small block plane after the magic smoke escaped from my electric planer. It was most dramatic as well with billowing clouds of smelly magic smoke.
I’m not sure I’ll bother replacing it though, because I’ve never been impressed with its function, though I will have to buy a bigger hand plane as it was a struggle with the block plane.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26192 on: 05 February, 2021, 07:17:50 pm »
I believe this street was renumbered when the new houses were built in the 1930s.
Nevil Shute Norway occupied one of the older ?Edwardian houses.

« Reply #26193 on: 05 February, 2021, 08:45:18 pm »
When we moved into a new council house in the 1950s, the road was unmade, so with reference to the nearest road, they were numbered 1off, 2off etc.  Some years later, the road was made up, and called Church Road, despite being at the far end of the village to the church. It was named after a parish councillor.

I often wondered what historians would make of that a millenium on.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #26195 on: 06 February, 2021, 08:05:17 am »
Apparently there’s a whole industry devoted to supplying goods for 5G weirdos. 

https://emf-protection.co.uk/product/blocbag-sleeping-bag/?gclid=CjwKCAiA9vOABhBfEiwATCi7GO_QJS1-kUkXj8L4r2ALEKgE-LXaozwbUjHkOJm8OP8QjvUPyaAIVBoCmXQQAvD_BwE

One can assume that David Icke's wardrobe contains a goodly selection of the clothing . . . . alongside his turquoise shell-suit

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26196 on: 06 February, 2021, 11:31:26 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if Piers Corbyn has a selection as well.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26197 on: 06 February, 2021, 11:39:43 am »
When we moved into a new council house in the 1950s, the road was unmade, so with reference to the nearest road, they were numbered 1off, 2off etc.  Some years later, the road was made up, and called Church Road, despite being at the far end of the village to the church. It was named after a parish councillor.

I often wondered what historians would make of that a millenium on.

When we lived near Belfast in the 50s a builder called Geary built a bunch of houses a couple of miles from us. He asked the council to think up a name for the road he'd built to service them, but they took so long he told them to bugger off and called it after himself.

Up that way isn't 'near' Belfast any more, it's part of it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26198 on: 06 February, 2021, 12:09:32 pm »
Mine is a hotmail.co.uk address, giving away the vintage.

I also have a Gmail.com and have observed that phenomena Kim postulates. I regularly get another blokes dental and chiropractor appointment, somewhere in Colorado, I sometimes respond that I can't make it.

And mine is hotmail.com, from 1996.

I have a domain, registered in 1996.

Only ever used gmail and hotmail to separate logins etc from my real email.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26199 on: 07 February, 2021, 07:56:55 pm »
The toast alarm is going off in the student house nextdoor.  Haven't heard one of those for a while.