Author Topic: Petrol Lawn Mower help  (Read 9130 times)

Petrol Lawn Mower help
« on: 10 April, 2010, 01:29:59 pm »
Hi all.
Went to cut the grass today and the bloody thing wouldnt start, nor would the pull cord come past a certain level. So i took it to the patio and took the spark plug out. Some oil came out when the spark plug was removed. I tipped the mower up on its end and some more came out. I checked the oil in the oil tank and it was just over 3/4 on the dipstick. Before i used it the oil level was just under full on the level on the dipstick(not a huge difference)
Why was the oil there? It hasnt been serviced for a while and i meant to do it this winter but never got round to it.
Anyway, ive serviced it now and im just waiting on my parents getting some more oil(i didnt have enough to fill the tank up, got it just over the minimum line) but i gave it a quick test and it started up.
Its 2 stroke engine, 3.75bph(very powerful! ;))

Does anyone know why the oil was there? It was the oil that was stopping it from starting and there was a good amount there aswell.
Help?

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Re: Petrol Lawn Mower help
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2010, 01:49:43 pm »
It's probably just oil left after the fuel from the mix has evaporated over winter. Plus your petrol in the tank is probably a bit dead.

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2010, 02:06:38 pm »
Nothing to be too worried about then? My thought was that it was the oil left over that had built up over time.
Petrol shouldnt be too bad, the tank was pretty much run down before the winter and the jerry can of it in the shed had some put in  end of summer, does need refilling again for the summer though.

I read on one website that you should change the petrol in your jerry can every 3 months or 3 weeks or something silly like that. How true is this? ::-)

inc

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2010, 02:39:09 pm »

Does anyone know why the oil was there? It was the oil that was stopping it from starting and there was a good amount there aswell.
Help?

Are you sure it is a two stroke, they don't normally have oil tanks as the lubricating oil is mixed with the petrol. assuming it is a four stroke and it is OHV then any oil in the rocker box may well have leaked past the valve gear into the cylinder since it was last used.

« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2010, 03:08:30 pm »

Help?

Are you sure it is a two stroke, they don't normally have oil tanks as the lubricating oil is mixed with the petrol. assuming it is a four stroke and it is OHV then any oil in the rocker box may well have leaked past the valve gear into the cylinder since it was last used.

Its always been 2 stroke oil used and no signs on it to say if its 2 stroke or what so ive always taken it as being a 2 stroke.
Its a Champion 375 Lawn mower, self propelled. Its got 3.75bhp 8)
But it doesnt say anywhere if its 2 stroke or 4, is there any way i can tell?

« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2010, 03:19:59 pm »
Probably a 4 stroke so ignore my previous post.

Just google the engine make and model.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2010, 08:49:41 pm »
why are you mowing the lawn at your age? ;) you'll be going to wist drives with one of those tartan shopping trolleys and taking up crown green bowls next.

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2010, 08:54:39 pm »
why are you mowing the lawn at your age? ;) you'll be going to wist drives with one of those tartan shopping trolleys and taking up crown green bowls next.

No, i gave that up.
Seriously.
I played it for years since i was young and only stopped at the end of last season because i just couldn't be arsed with it, after wanting to give it up for quite a few years before that.
I mow the lawn because the lawn mower is in my shed with bikes on top of it or leaning against it. Someone else touching my bikes or going into my shed :hand: :hand:
Plus it is good walking and nice to do after a ride in the summer.
Do you even have a lawn? Or even a lawn mower? I could just image you being a spod of lawn mowers and lawn length.  ;)

« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2010, 10:06:00 pm »
The mower will almost certainly be a 4 stroke, probably a Briggs & Stratton engine (possibly Tecumseh or Honda, but they are all similar). The sump should have SAE 30 oil in it, or SAE 10W-30. It is good practice to change the oil each year. They have a simple lubrication system, and if you have tipped the mower up at an angle, the oil can get into the cylinder and oil up the plug making it hard to start.

Mowers seem particularly susceptible to stale fuel. Make sure you run the fuel empty over winter, and use fresh fuel in spring.

I've had a few mowers from the dump that have only needed an oil change and fresh fuel to get them going.  ;)

BTW. With 2 stroke engines on garden equipment, I always empty the fuel tank and run the engine dry before putting them away. I also make sure fuel is fresh and well shaken before I fill the tank.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Euan Uzami

« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2010, 10:20:58 pm »

No, i gave that up.
Seriously.
I played it for years since i was young and only stopped at the end of last season because i just couldn't be arsed with it, after wanting to give it up for quite a few years before that.
I mow the lawn because the lawn mower is in my shed with bikes on top of it or leaning against it. Someone else touching my bikes or going into my shed :hand: :hand:
Do you even have a lawn? Or even a lawn mower? I could just image you being a spod of lawn mowers and lawn length.  ;)

yes a large one and we have got a fairly bourgeouis lawn mower, i don't use it though, my dad likes doing it too much for me to have to bother... I did have to change the blade on it though cos nobody else knew how (it's just one bolt holding it on  ::-) )

« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2010, 11:15:38 pm »
The mower will almost certainly be a 4 stroke, probably a Briggs & Stratton engine (possibly Tecumseh or Honda, but they are all similar). The sump should have SAE 30 oil in it, or SAE 10W-30. It is good practice to change the oil each year. They have a simple lubrication system, and if you have tipped the mower up at an angle, the oil can get into the cylinder and oil up the plug making it hard to start.

Mowers seem particularly susceptible to stale fuel. Make sure you run the fuel empty over winter, and use fresh fuel in spring.

I've had a few mowers from the dump that have only needed an oil change and fresh fuel to get them going.  ;)

BTW. With 2 stroke engines on garden equipment, I always empty the fuel tank and run the engine dry before putting them away. I also make sure fuel is fresh and well shaken before I fill the tank.

Ahhh, see ive never bothered with that.

Spark plug was put in last, and pulled the cord a few times to make sure it was all out.
We never bothered with it enough to change the oil before, my brother was in charge of it but he never bothered.
It started fine after and ran well, if a little underpowered at first but it could do with a new plug to be honest.

No, i gave that up.
Seriously.
Do you even have a lawn? Or even a lawn mower? I could just image you being a spod of lawn mowers and lawn length.  ;)

yes a large one and we have got a fairly bourgeouis lawn mower, i don't use it though, my dad likes doing it too much for me to have to bother... I did have to change the blade on it though cos nobody else knew how (it's just one bolt holding it on  ::-) )

Oh yeh, mines a Champion mower, 3.75BHP and is fully sick.
Changing the blade is easy, i needed to change mine the other year(had trouble finding a blade the right size) and my only worry was starting it up the first time and hoping i had done the bolt up enough and it was staying put.

All i need to do now is pimp my lawn mower, lights, chrome, chrome wheel trims, bigger exhaust maybe side pipes or stacks, CD player, DVD.................

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #11 on: 11 April, 2010, 10:04:25 am »
I used to love mowing the lawn at my parents house and kinda miss it - haven't had a lawn for looong time :(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

border-rider

« Reply #12 on: 11 April, 2010, 10:06:26 am »
I used to love mowing the lawn at my parents house and kinda miss it - haven't had a lawn for looong time :(

You're very welcome to come here and stay the weekend ;)

I f'in hate mowing the grass (I hesitate to use the L-word in relation to our grounds)

« Reply #13 on: 11 April, 2010, 10:17:05 am »

You're very welcome to come here and stay the weekend ;)
)

and here. Choice of mowers, both cyclinder, one electric, one man powered, I'll fettle your bike in return !

« Reply #14 on: 11 April, 2010, 10:19:24 am »
It is quite a relaxing thing to do. Theres a guy around here who is a gardener and transports his mower around by bicycle on a home made trailor.
Straight lines being cut, blocks of garden getting done which another block waits and is still long, grass going from long to short as you go over it.
How can you not like that.
Add to that the engine sound, ok it might not be the best but its relaxing.
Never got on with electric mowers, the one we had was a right faff and it took us ages to cut the grass.
I just need petrol strimmer now and id be in my element. Im still stuck with an electric strimmer :(

inc

« Reply #15 on: 11 April, 2010, 10:52:56 am »

Its always been 2 stroke oil used and no signs on it to say if its 2 stroke or what so ive always taken it as being a 2 stroke.
Its a Champion 375 Lawn mower, self propelled. Its got 3.75bhp 8)
But it doesnt say anywhere if its 2 stroke or 4, is there any way i can tell?

A quick Google says it is a B&S 4 stroke engine so where have you been putting the two stroke oil.

« Reply #16 on: 11 April, 2010, 01:16:34 pm »
Into the oil section. To be honest whenever oil has been bought for it my parents just grab the one that says its for lawn mowers.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #17 on: 11 April, 2010, 10:53:47 pm »
if you wanted the practice you could probably just go into the country and mow a field, i doubt anyone would mind.  ;)

« Reply #18 on: 11 April, 2010, 11:11:22 pm »
if you wanted the practice you could probably just go into the country and mow a field, i doubt anyone would mind.  ;)

Bollocks to that with a lawn mower, get a big tractor with a huge mower thing on the back and use that. Would be much better.
Have you seen the council people on their sit on ones? One of them has 5/6 blades on and it shoots around.
The tractor that they use with the cutter on the back is better, that flys around and shoots the cuttings up a decent hight into the air. Looks great fun.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #19 on: 12 April, 2010, 08:43:26 pm »

Bollocks to that with a lawn mower, get a big tractor with a huge mower thing on the back and use that. Would be much better.
Have you seen the council people on their sit on ones? One of them has 5/6 blades on and it shoots around.
The tractor that they use with the cutter on the back is better, that flys around and shoots the cuttings up a decent hight into the air. Looks great fun.

::-) ::-) ::-) ;D ;D ;D  that would be about as pointful as taking the dog for a drive instead of taking it for a walk.

« Reply #20 on: 12 April, 2010, 08:52:03 pm »

::-) ::-) ::-) ;D ;D ;D  that would be about as pointful as taking the dog for a drive instead of taking it for a walk.

Al right then, i tell you what, you can push the tractor and the mower instead but it will be quite heavy and you will struggle.  ::-)
Id love a big tractor.
Did you ever see that advert where the guy had that sit on lawn mower but a really small lawn? It would have only needed 4 lines down at the most and it be done ::-)

ed_o_brain

« Reply #21 on: 12 April, 2010, 08:54:15 pm »
Corr this thread reminds me I once lost traction when using a ride on mower and careered into a grave stone!

I've mowed a meadow used for grazing sheep using a tractor - main reason to keep the thistles down.

« Reply #22 on: 12 April, 2010, 08:59:47 pm »
Corr this thread reminds me I once lost traction when using a ride on mower and careered into a grave stone!

I've mowed a meadow used for grazing sheep using a tractor - main reason to keep the thistles down.

Wow, id love a go at that.
My uncle might be getting a house out in the country side somewhere which has a paddock and that other country type stuff. It should also come with a tractor. I shall be going to have a go with the tractor 8)
Ooo arrrrr, proper job 8)

« Reply #23 on: 12 April, 2010, 10:15:30 pm »
This thread reminds me that our postage stamp in the back garden needs its annual trim.

... maybe I'll get a round tuit once the ground's dried out a bit more.

The Mechanic

« Reply #24 on: 13 April, 2010, 09:48:47 am »
My life's ambition has always been to own a garden big enough to justify buying a ride on mower.  Still dreaming