Author Topic: Chillies  (Read 15718 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Chillies
« Reply #25 on: 20 September, 2010, 12:14:53 am »
On the freezing topic:  I froze tons of habs and bonnets one year.  I read somewhere that cutting them in half and cling-film wrapping them helped with keeping them in good condition - I made rows of halved chillis on a clingfilm sheet and rolled them up into chilli sticks.  They certainly seemed to freeze very well that way.

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #26 on: 07 October, 2010, 03:31:01 pm »
I'm thinking of selling the plants commercially next year. I have a lovely dark purple one (possibly purple tiger) that is a nice ornamental and the chillies are fairly hot with a lovely flavour. My others are only just turning red and getting a little bit hotter as they do so but still a bit mild for my taste.

« Reply #27 on: 08 October, 2010, 06:38:22 pm »
If you do sell your purple variety next year Ludwig, I'd buy a couple.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #28 on: 08 October, 2010, 10:25:43 pm »
Ate the first of mine tonight (actually was just half of one).  It's one of the ones labelled "orange habanero" earlier in the thread, but they're properly red now (and the one's I've labelled "caribbean red" are now going orange - I suspect I mixed up the seed packets or mislabelled the rows in my propagator).    It was very nice and hot - went beautifully on my pizza :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 09 October, 2010, 12:14:04 am »
I just found three chillies in my saddlebag.  I bought them from the ice cream shop on the camping weekend ride, and put them into an inside pocket.  They were home grown by the shopkeeper.

They're in good condition, but a bit dried.  And still quite pretty.  I may use them for an arabiatta sauce or summat.
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #30 on: 12 October, 2010, 12:24:38 am »
I notice that Tesco are now selling them in pots (like the Basil, Parsley etc pots they sell). Not sure if it's worth getting one...

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #31 on: 24 November, 2010, 10:23:41 pm »
If you buy supermarket chillies or any herbs, do repot them into a larger pot asap as the compost they come in tends to be nearing exhaustion and the plants are always close to outgrowing the pots.

Re: freezing chillies (mentioned up thread), we've always just cling-filmed them individually - no need to halve them. The ice cube tray idea sounds worth trying to - I presume you put a measured amount of food-processed chilli in with water to make a cube? or do you fill each compartement with chiili (might be a bit too much for some recipies that way)?

LEE

« Reply #32 on: 20 December, 2010, 04:57:01 pm »
My wife bought 2 small Chilli plants and put them on the Kitchen Window Ledge.

Now we have (so far) 117 of the spicy little blighters and they are still flowering !!

They've gone in Currys and Chilli con Carne amongst other things. We have a load strung up, like Onions, drying, we are going to pickle some and also put some in oil.

Looks like a good return on investment and they look great as "house plants"

These plants have never really stopped producing all year.  They've slowed down now but there are still 20 or so tiny chillies on there.  They've produced far more than we've been able to use (despite using chillies in far more dishes than we ever did before).  A really good investment and an attractive plant for a kitchen window sill.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #33 on: 20 December, 2010, 07:32:02 pm »
Chillies freeze very well  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #34 on: 18 February, 2011, 09:49:05 pm »
I was given a packet each of Monkeyface and Chocolate Habanero seeds and as they needed to be kept very warm took them into work and cobbled these together.

The score is 11 to 1 so far for sprouting up but have read the chocolate ones can be tricky. I'm just winging it though!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #35 on: 18 February, 2011, 10:07:40 pm »
The score is 11 to 1 so far for sprouting up but have read the chocolate ones can be tricky. I'm just winging it though!

When I've grown Habaneros (of the orange variety - someone should cross those with the chocolate ones ;)), I've found they took much longer to germinate than the Caribbean Reds (a Scotch Bonnet type, I think) that I grew alongside.  I pretty much gave up on them the first year thinking i must have a bad batch of seeds.  The second year I kept on watering the empty sections in my seed tray and eventually got quite a few of them to come up.

« Reply #36 on: 18 February, 2011, 10:20:20 pm »
The packets did advise a long germination period might be needed. I planted both types on the 1st of this month and only this morning was any habanero action visible.

I'm going to struggle to keep them above 20 C once they come home but it'd be good to get something off the ones we keep.

« Reply #37 on: 19 February, 2011, 06:59:01 pm »
My wife bought 2 small Chilli plants and put them on the Kitchen Window Ledge.

Now we have (so far) 117 of the spicy little blighters and they are still flowering !!

They've gone in Currys and Chilli con Carne amongst other things. We have a load strung up, like Onions, drying, we are going to pickle some and also put some in oil.

Looks like a good return on investment and they look great as "house plants"

They look like demon reds to me , spicy little suckers!.Grew them myself last year and have sown some fresh ones for this year
These plants have never really stopped producing all year.  They've slowed down now but there are still 20 or so tiny chillies on there.  They've produced far more than we've been able to use (despite using chillies in far more dishes than we ever did before).  A really good investment and an attractive plant for a kitchen window sill.
Rich

« Reply #38 on: 19 February, 2011, 07:03:24 pm »
The packets did advise a long germination period might be needed. I planted both types on the 1st of this month and only this morning was any habanero action visible.

I'm going to struggle to keep them above 20 C once they come home but it'd be good to get something off the ones we keep.

I use a cheap heated propagator from b&q , cost about a tenner last year.I sowed my chilli seeds last weekend,demon reds ,apache and habinaro and the first of the habinaro are already sprouting.
 ;D
Rich

« Reply #39 on: 19 February, 2011, 07:22:50 pm »
Thanks Welsh Man. The 32cm one is under a tenner but it's nearly forty quid for the next size up!

« Reply #40 on: 20 February, 2011, 12:44:31 pm »
Just to update it's only the small one I have , It holds 3 x recycled take-away containers as seed trays.Currently propagating 30 chilli plant seeds.Over night another 4 have given birth making a total of 5 seedlings in one week.

;D
Rich

« Reply #41 on: 28 May, 2011, 01:15:09 am »
I managed to get four Monkeyface and one Chocolate to grow but am having problems with them being very attractive to greenfly in either place I've had them in the house.

I've been spraying them with dilute washing up liquid as I see them, but they're not doing right well. Any suggestions on how to keep the buggers off?

« Reply #42 on: 28 May, 2011, 01:27:49 am »
Mine seem to be sprouting well (planted indoors about 5 weeks ago along with various herbs), though I've not planted anything as exotic as Habanero. In fact the only problem I had was mushrooms growing in beside them!  :o

Hopefully they'll survive once they go outside in the next week or two.

« Reply #43 on: 28 May, 2011, 06:35:22 pm »
I managed to get four Monkeyface and one Chocolate to grow but am having problems with them being very attractive to greenfly in either place I've had them in the house.

I've been spraying them with dilute washing up liquid as I see them, but they're not doing right well. Any suggestions on how to keep the buggers off?

The last two years we grew several chillies on the shelf in our verandah we also had a few epazote  plants as well and did not seem to have much of a greenfly problem, whereas before that we did. We put into down to the odour of the herb (camphor/turpentine), but have not gone as far as to do proper trials yet!

« Reply #44 on: 08 June, 2011, 01:26:54 pm »
I'm growing three plants from Tesco: Cheyenne, cayenne, scotch bonnet.  Anyone know about Cheyenne, I've not come across this one?  

Prolly about 12", with a few buds appearing...

In Zim we had Piri Piri quite often, which I've just seen is the African version of Bird's Eye chilli - from this... Scoville scale - Wikipedia

Lee, what variety is your's (in pic)..?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #45 on: 08 June, 2011, 03:04:41 pm »
Piri Piri is Potugese, a name for the type of chili and the sauce they make from it (and the chicken dish they then make with the sauce).

IIRC they are basically birds eye chilis

I am growing apache this year, completely for my own use (and will probably end up giving some away) as Mrs T can't eat spicy food and TLD has an aversion to it...

ETA: Wikipedia to the rescue :) Piri piri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #46 on: 08 June, 2011, 03:35:13 pm »
Piri Piri is Potugese, a name for the type of chili and the sauce they make from it (and the chicken dish they then make with the sauce).

IIRC they are basically birds eye chilis

I am growing apache this year, completely for my own use (and will probably end up giving some away) as Mrs T can't eat spicy food and TLD has an aversion to it...

ETA: Wikipedia to the rescue :) Piri piri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, it's because Mozambique was a former Portuguese colony, Piri Piri (Peri Peri), is actually the name used for this particular chili in Southern Africa...   :)

« Reply #47 on: 13 June, 2011, 07:26:25 pm »

With bonus parsley...  ;)

« Reply #48 on: 21 October, 2011, 12:21:12 pm »
What's the best thing to do with a crop of chillies - pickle/dry/keep in fridge?

plug

« Reply #49 on: 21 October, 2011, 12:50:29 pm »
All of the above, plus:

make sauce
freeze
smoke
eat