Author Topic: European Bike Express Fixed Base Trip to Rosas, Spain - Experiences?  (Read 2025 times)

I've been looking for a cycling trip with the opportunity to ride in the mountains later in the year. The European Bike Express brochure is offering a fixed-based holiday in Rosas, Spain which looks like good value and within cycling reach of the Pyrenees - close enough to head into the mountains without a long ride or drive to get there. The hotel is called the Hotel Marian Platja.

Has anyone used the EBE, gone on this specific holiday or do you know the area? If you have/do, what were your experiences? The coach looks very comfortable and the trailer... well, I'm not sure. I'm rather precious about my bike and the thought of not going by plane is appealing.

Re: European Bike Express Fixed Base Trip to Rosas, Spain - Experiences?
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2010, 10:34:56 pm »
I have used EBE but not any of their package tours. The coach is comfortable but we prebooked the front seats so had lots of leg room though it was quite cold at night.

The bike trailer is fine, the handler is careful. Your bike will not suffer any more damage than putting it in a car for the journey. No need to dissassemble it it at all, just turn the bars IIRC. Pad it as much as you want. It stands on it's wheel(s) and is clamped by car roof rack style clamps IIRC. Nothing leans against it.

I'd use them again.

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2010, 08:21:49 am »
They certainly handle bikes more gently than baggage handlers! I used them (EBE) when they first started (maybe 15 years ago?) and even then the trailer was good, and the handling careful if amateur. They've had a lot of practice since.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2010, 08:29:26 am »
We were pleased with EBE also. The main reason we haven't used them since is that it's quite a long journey for us to get to them, which isn't fun on the way home when you're already knackered from the journey.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2010, 08:38:08 am »
Same here - the time we used them we drove to and parked in a farm barn (EBE had arranged it) about 5 miles off the M1 at Miltom Keynes, and the bus diverted to pick us up. Many unhappy Northern campers on board - at that time you still shared with the general core business of campsite holiday-makers. I don't know what arangements they have now for pick-ups, so unless you're directly or close by the route - M1 - M25 East - M2 I think - you may have a problem. Best to call and ask.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2010, 09:07:41 am »
I've used them and agree with the comments above. The trip passes quite quickly, as there are stops and the ferry crossing etc, plus you can talk gear ratios and such with like minded people. They are very careful with the bikes.
I'd use them again, in fact I hope to later this year.

« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2010, 10:18:04 pm »
Thanks everyone. EBE sounds like they've made a positive impression. I'll be checking out the leg-room situation if I can't get a front seat reservation. Anything like the leg room on a normal coach for that length of time would be torture for my rather long pins.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2010, 03:41:58 pm »
At the rear of the coach is a space which has four seats facing each other and a table in between. Plenty of leg room there. Having said that I found plenty of leg room in the normal seats (I am just over 6'1").

« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2023, 09:22:59 pm »
Looking on here for European Bike Express info and I discovered my own topic from a rather long time ago. I didn’t take the trip I was considering at the time, for reasons unconnected with the EBE.

Has anyone used them more recently?