Author Topic: New allotment owner  (Read 1643 times)

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
New allotment owner
« on: 11 July, 2010, 07:00:13 pm »
After years of waiting, we have finally got an allotment  ;D

It needs a bit of work as it is a little overgrown and it has had a bay tree cut down on it recently, but it was in a better state than the others we could have chosen.

I've dug a small area out and have planted a selection of veg/fruit in for the moment.  Will dig some more later in the week.

Tail End Charlie

Re: New allotment owner
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2010, 07:45:40 am »
Excellent, I only took one over earlier this year and am harvesting things already. I think it's best if you don't try to be self sufficient, but just try to add variety to your diet. It's very relaxing and addictive just going down for a potter. Hard work to get it going but worth it.
I'm sure more experienced allotmenteers will be along soon for tips.

« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2010, 10:18:18 am »
It is quite late in the season to start planting. Grow some stuff if you can - quick growing salads, etc., but I would concentrate on getting it clear for next year.

If it is overgrown, kill what you can using using weedkiller - I try to avoid chemicals on my plot, but it will save loads of future work.

Bonfires are good if you are allowed - They kill the weeds and leave high potash feed for next years plants.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2010, 04:27:58 pm »
I've dug a small area out and have planted a turk's turban squash (given by a friend), it seems to be bearing fruit  :thumbsup:

We also have some brocolli and tomatoes too and have put some strawberries in, it sounds a lot, but is a very small area so far.  

We also have a shed too, which makes things easier.

Plot's only up the road from us, so I will be cycling there now and again too.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2010, 11:53:38 pm »
Strawberries seem to be one of those things which benefit from a bit of TLC. I've grown them in my garden and they were OK, but on the allotment I put straw under them, netted them and fed with comfrey. I've had some huge ones, very tasty and no damage at all even from slugs. Give them some lurve.