Author Topic: One person tent - advice please  (Read 23340 times)

Re: One person tent - advice please
« Reply #50 on: 20 July, 2010, 05:52:21 pm »
How about one of these:

HENNESSY HAMMOCKS.com:  ultra-light line of jungle hammocks, ultra-comfortable camping hammock /chair/ tent combo

Apart from the obvious need for some supports (trees, sticks, a bike... etc) and the hilariously amusing "being poked in the bum wiv a stick by your mates at 4am", if you feel a wee bit closed in - just peek out  :thumbsup:.

Ultra light, no need to carry chairs or a mat.

If you're considering camping hammocks have a look at the DD range. I use the basing camping model with a tarp and it has been excellent. I'm not sure how suitable it would be for someone with claustrophobia though. Come to think of it, Pixieannie has seen it and Julian has slept in it. Surprisingly perhaps, tarp and hammock together are not lighter than the lightest one-man tents.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #51 on: 20 July, 2010, 06:03:29 pm »
Blimey.  I'll have to read all of these amazing replies, after my din dins as my brain is a little foggy at the moment.  I forgot to mention one thing..... I hate being in a sleeping bag and only use it to lie on or put over me, I cannot bear to be restricted in any way at all.

« Reply #52 on: 20 July, 2010, 06:13:16 pm »
If you have actualy used one then it's no different than being in a sleeping bag or wearing a water proof jacket with a big hood.

I think you may be thinking of a one man hoop bivvy/tent which is not the same thing.

Having actually used one I wouldn't recommend it to a claustrophobic. Getting out of the sleeping bag and into clothing in a pouring rain in a bivy bag was an interesting challenge, but next time I'll just bring a tent, thanks.

Bivy bags are good if you want to travel as light as possible, don't expect to find a flat spot big enough to put a tent on, and/or don't really expect any significant rain.

Nick H.

« Reply #53 on: 20 July, 2010, 06:33:35 pm »
PixieA, look at this! I get slightly claustrophobic.  Couldn't stand my bivvy bag and didn't much like my Saunders Jetpacker Plus (always sagging, almost impossible to sit up) so i ordered an extra door for my tent, a Mandatory Gear Puppy Pile Too.   Allegedly you can fit 4 mad adventure racers in it, but it feels just right for one messy person with all their kit.

As you can see both doors are on the sides, and both can be either 'tent' or 'mesh' if you see what I mean. So I can lie there in the open (sort of) with a view of the stars and trees and such, but with no way for bugs to get in. It's free standing and pitches v. fast. Doesn't need any rack or pannier space cos it fits between my knees in a Jandd frame pack. Frame Pack. Except the carbon poles which can go on the seat tube or in a pannier.

Weighs just 850 grams.  But it's single skinned.  And rain comes through the zips. Maybe I could waterproof them - haven't tried yet. The makers claim it's 4 season with waterproof zips so I really should bug them about it.

There are two vents at the top so I haven't had a condensation issue. If the walls do get damp there's enough room for me to stretch out without touching them. (I'm 5'9".) I've been using the tent in the southern US with night time temps in the seventies/eighties.  If condensation did get very bad there are loops to attach an inner to, though I don't know where I would buy one to fit.

If I can waterproof the zips it'll be pretty much perfect, but it did cost a stupid amount. $700 p'raps. Can't remember and would rather not be reminded. It's more than 3 weeks in a motel anyway.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #54 on: 20 July, 2010, 06:38:18 pm »
I have a crappy Eurohike Backpacker which works pretty well, although it's not the easiest thing to pitch properly (to get the flysheet tight).  Claimed weight 2.4kg, so OK for on the bike.   Plenty of room for one person and all their stuff, although only those Japanese subway guys with the white gloves could squeeze two people in there.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #55 on: 20 July, 2010, 10:53:02 pm »
Has anyone tried the North Face Tadpole?
Discounted Lightweight Camping Tents | CheapTents.com | Outdoor Shop   
Discounted Lightweight Camping Tents | CheapTents.com | Outdoor Shop   

Reviews suggest it's quite big and sturdy. I've been tempted to buy one and go backpacking or cycling.
I am nothing and should be everything

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #56 on: 21 July, 2010, 03:26:24 pm »
Annie my dear...

My two Pixieannie (one man) tent is a Vango Helium 200.  You're more than welcome to borrow it to try if you want.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #57 on: 22 July, 2010, 07:52:07 pm »
I was on the Field and Trek site recently and they have a sale on - you can get some pricey £200+ ones for just over 1kg, or a nice one from Karrimor for £75 that weighs 1.75kg

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #58 on: 22 July, 2010, 07:57:13 pm »
Annie my dear...

My two Pixieannie (half Regulator) tent is a Vango Helium 200.  You're more than welcome to borrow it to try if you want.

FTFY
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #59 on: 22 July, 2010, 08:33:43 pm »
Annie my dear...

My two Pixieannie (half Regulator) tent is a Vango Helium 200.  You're more than welcome to borrow it to try if you want.

FTFY
;D

Thank you for the offer.  I need to sort something out before the 9th August as I am off on a week's cycle camping hollibob thingymajiggydoodle.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #60 on: 23 July, 2010, 09:25:22 am »
Annie my dear...

FTFY
;D

Thank you for the offer.  I need to sort something out before the 9th August as I am off on a week's cycle camping hollibob thingymajiggydoodle.

I'm happy to pop the tent over to yours for a tryout if you want.  Can't do this weekend but could do one evening next week or next weekend.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor