Author Topic: Magura Louise replacement  (Read 3761 times)

Magura Louise replacement
« on: 01 April, 2008, 09:07:48 am »
Anyone suggest me a replacement brake system for the above 2000/2001 model?  I'm not too fazed whether it's hydraulic or cable operated.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Re: Magura Louise replacement
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2008, 09:10:58 am »
I forgot to add that the disc seems to be 160mm, and 50mm between the mounting bolts on the fork (dodgy measurements, btw).

The caliper is mounted on the left fork, behind the fork.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2008, 09:28:27 am »
I like Hopes, me, though they're a bit pricy compared with some of the opposition.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2008, 09:31:44 am »

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2008, 09:48:07 am »
Latest issue of Singletrack had a review of high-end disc brakes; Quad Dime XC got favourable reviews - stacked up well against XTR - for only £80/wheel.  Not sure where you'd get them from.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2008, 10:48:09 am »
I like Hopes, me, though they're a bit pricy compared with some of the opposition.

This one?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360027711&n=Hope%20Mono%20Mini%20With%20Floating%20Disc%20And%20Braided%20Hose

Front IS 160mm No. 5?

I've got an assortment spread across the fleet, but the most recently fitted have been a Mono M4 / Mono Mini with floating discs and ordinary hoses (on the Speedmachine).  Can't remember the rotor diameters, but they are jolly effective - I did 900 km with just the rear one1 during and after PBP and only once found myself lacking in brakes.

1 - the front one had done 1700 km before it inexplicably stopped working and was fine once it had been bled again ??? ???

Tiger

« Reply #6 on: 01 April, 2008, 12:11:11 pm »
I've got an assortment spread across the fleet, but the most recently fitted have been a Mono M4 / Mono Mini with floating discs and ordinary hoses (on the Speedmachine).  Can't remember the rotor diameters, but they are jolly effective - I did 900 km with just the rear one1 during and after PBP and only once found myself lacking in brakes.

Dave - I am looking at replacing the old brakes on the speedmachine myself.  Currently tecktro discs and they seem to eat pads and become quite inneffective. Is it easy to replace with hydraulics - cable lengths an issue? and what would be a good set?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7 on: 01 April, 2008, 02:34:47 pm »
Dave - I am looking at replacing the old brakes on the speedmachine myself.  Currently tecktro discs and they seem to eat pads and become quite inneffective. Is it easy to replace with hydraulics - cable lengths an issue? and what would be a good set?

Mine came with Hope hydraulics from new as Darth Stuart built it up from a frame kit, but replacing mechanicals with hydraulics shouldn't be too difficult.  IIRC when I replaced the ones on my SM last summer, I cut down the "rear" line to make a front and bought a couple of metres of hose to do the rear, as they come from The Shop set up for MTB use.  Bleeding is not difficult - I've found Hopes to be easier to bleed than Maguras.  Hope do a bleeding kit (called "My Little Bleeder" ;D) which attaches to the spare wheel of one's motorcar and does the job very quickly.  However, they changed the design of the lever last year, which means that the old My Little Bleeder doesn't work with the new levers chiz, so you have to faff around with tubes and things.

IIRC mine has a 183 mm front rotor and 160 mm rear - they're both the spiffy saw disc floating rotor ones (with red centres to match the rear hub, coz I is a tart), M4 front caliper and Mini rear.  Someone less portly than me could probably go down a rotor size and save a few bob and grammes by having a two-pot front caliper instead of a four.

The only other discs I've tried for more than a lap of Eastway have been Magura Julies (came as new on the Baron, not terribly impressive) and some awful Avid mechanical ones on Garrie Hill's Jester, which were marginally more effective than putting a foot on the floor, but not by much.

« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2008, 07:12:42 pm »
Another quality recommendation from Mr. Larrington.  Fankoo very much!

« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2008, 07:49:58 pm »
I'd also recommend Hopes... My own are pretty ancient (1999-ish vintage) and are still going strong.

Hose shortening is easy: see Hope's website for technical manuals.

Power wise, 160mm disks should be plenty. If you plan on riding long windy descents, requiring lots of braking (and especially on a 'bent) you may want to use larger. Not for power, you understand, but they will provide better heat management.  :thumbsup:

If Hopes are a little rich, the Avid Juicy 3s on my commuter seem very good (although I've not had them long) and can be had for a princely £50 per wheel from CRC.  :D
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #10 on: 04 April, 2008, 03:58:33 pm »
And very chuffed so far on today's little test ride!