Author Topic: Volunteering for the Olympics  (Read 15501 times)

Re: Volunteering for the Olympics
« Reply #50 on: 12 November, 2011, 11:56:59 am »
Abbey Wood and Crystal Palace (Oscar's Dad and Tomsk stayed at CP recently) are you nearest two at < 10 miles away each.
Both of which are a bit, err.... urban.

Beyond that there's not much camping-wise until you're about 40 miles away in Painters Forstall (near Faversham)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #51 on: 11 December, 2011, 09:46:34 pm »
Update - I've been offered a volunteer role in the ticketing team for the equestrian events and some modern pentathlon stuff at Greenwich Park.

That's not at all what I was expecting, but I've accepted. The family (supportive as always) thinks it's bonkers and hilarious.  ::-)

I have a vague plan to camp somewhere 20 to 30 miles away in Kent and cycle-commute in every day.

:thumbsup:

Firm thighs in jodhpurs.

What's not to like.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #52 on: 11 December, 2011, 10:38:16 pm »

Firm thighs in jodhpurs.

What's not to like.

The jodhpurs?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #53 on: 21 December, 2011, 11:50:21 am »
And I have been offered crossing marshall duties on Mall and Hampton Court for the road race and TT..

Free uniform, ringside seat. What is not to like? (and easy cycling distance from my folks..)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

JJ

« Reply #54 on: 21 December, 2011, 07:28:17 pm »
I'm with Charlotte on this.
I was excited when London won the bid, but as I realised how the process of acquiring tickets to see the Olympics was skewed in favour of those who could afford to risk lots of cash, how expensive those tickets were, how few regular UK folk were going to be able to see the games live, and how the whole thing is basically about money these days, I became totally disenchanted.

Mrs J has volunteered to help with the Triathlon.  I'll support her in doing that, and I admire the athletes, especially the ones who have struggled through to train and qualify in the lower spots of the less glamorous sports with not much sponsorship, but I think the whole thing stinks, and Coe and his mates can go barbecue their backsides.

cwbuk

• three wheels better than two
« Reply #55 on: 21 December, 2011, 07:45:49 pm »
They ask the ushers from the usher hall and every other theatre back in march we did feel they should have had a budget for it.  If your a voulnteer you can't be bound by contract so half of them wont turn up and you'll end up doing double shifs etc we told them thanks for asking but no thanks!
cwb

David Martin

« Reply #56 on: 21 December, 2011, 08:55:09 pm »
Well, you don't get to keep the uniform unless you do your assigned shifts - not that that will stop people not turning up.

« Reply #57 on: 22 December, 2011, 01:08:31 am »
I can see them asking for community service monkeys and even the army to help out in the end.

Amazingly, you heard it there first!

« Reply #58 on: 22 December, 2011, 12:19:12 pm »
Aprpos of nothing in particular......
I have a friend who work in the central London HQ of a fashion house best known for their check....
She and her colleagues have been told they will have enforced holiday leave coinciding with the olympics next year.
Her company is not alone apparently, in complying with a request to not have their staff commuting during that time.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 22 December, 2011, 07:46:01 pm »
Just had a christmas card from an old friend. She mentions that she's at 2nd Audition Stage as a
"Volunteer Performer" !

(She has a dance-related job, education-based).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #60 on: 22 December, 2011, 08:08:53 pm »
Just had a christmas card from an old friend. She mentions that she's at 2nd Audition Stage as a
"Volunteer Performer" !

(She has a dance-related job, education-based).

So she is volunteering for the Olympics.... through the medium of dance!

gordon taylor

« Reply #61 on: 04 February, 2012, 09:22:47 pm »
I was one of thousands of volunteers attending a training event at Wembley Arena today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16874424

It was good, and we all have homework to do before role-specific training session next month.

I had an hour to spare at Euston, so hired a Boris bike and "discovered" Camden Market. Wow! So cool!

David Martin

« Reply #62 on: 04 February, 2012, 11:03:30 pm »
Cool. My training is in June. Apparently the system won't let you get trained in Glasgow (despite a training event running there) if you are deployed in London.

« Reply #63 on: 05 February, 2012, 09:07:24 am »
Despite having a "you're still in the running" email before xmas, I still haven't heard, so I assume my services aren't of the quality they need unless someone "better" decides they can't be bothered after all...

I have a life to organise for the summer, so unless they come back with the Swedish women's beach volleyball team's chaperone offer, I shall be otherwise engaged.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #64 on: 05 February, 2012, 12:08:15 pm »
so unless they come back with the Swedish women's beach volleyball team's chaperone offer, I shall be otherwise engaged.

They will not.DAHIKT
 ;)

« Reply #65 on: 04 May, 2012, 12:00:37 pm »
Well, they keep sending me messages saying I'm still in the running, but Seb, it's like this; I have a life to organise and have done so for this summer. So if you think I'm holding fire on all my plans on the off chance that you decide I am needed after all - meaning some of your first choicers have pulled out for one reason or another - then you can go and bollocks! With regret, I withdrew my application today.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #66 on: 04 May, 2012, 12:14:12 pm »
Have you received your volunteer uniform yet?

(click to show/hide)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #67 on: 04 May, 2012, 12:22:43 pm »
I volunteered and was offered Drugs chaperone at Weymouth, my first choice as I had served there in the Fleet Air Arm. However I was expecting to be unemployed by now , that didn't turn out, plus the thought of paying for accommodation coupled with the fact when on duty I was expected to stay in the chaperones crew room and not wonder about while the races were on , seemed abit harsh and controlling.

So I declined. It will be difficult and costly for those volunteers to find accommodation so I expect that most of them will be within easy commuting distance as I understand  travel costs will be met in London?

If you can get the accommodation etc then I believe it would be a worthwhile venture.

David Martin

« Reply #68 on: 04 May, 2012, 02:10:04 pm »
I will be marshalling crossing point 4 at Hyde Park Corner for both Mens and Womens Road Race, and outside Sandown Park for the Time Trial. Not quite sure how the practicalities will work out though. It seems like very long shifts though..

gordon taylor

« Reply #69 on: 07 June, 2012, 06:26:32 am »
I collected my volunteer's uniform, ID and Oyster Card yesterday, from a warehouse in East London. There were hundreds of people there - the chatty and positive atmosphere in the queues showed just how much the volunteers are committed to this venture. The operation was extremely slick and I was pleasantly surprised to be given an Olympic Swatch watch too!

I've got one more training session to do, at Greenwich Park, but otherwise I'm sorted. My shift pattern is OK, I also have accommodation (thanks to an amazing offer from a YACFer.)

Can't wait!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #70 on: 07 June, 2012, 07:03:35 am »
I'm picking up my goodies tomorrow. Pleased to hear it was a slick process.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #71 on: 07 June, 2012, 07:09:40 am »
and I was pleasantly surprised to be given an Olympic Swatch watch too!

Which you'll be expected to wear at all times. If you wear your own it will be unceremoniously ripped off your wrist and crushed.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

gordon taylor

« Reply #72 on: 07 June, 2012, 08:47:33 am »
I'm picking up my goodies tomorrow. Pleased to hear it was a slick process.

It still takes an hour - but there are banks of computers, printers, fitting rooms... all staffed by volunteers.

« Reply #73 on: 07 June, 2012, 09:28:33 am »
So with all these volunteers, where is the money from the tickets/merchandise/sponsorship going to? It's not even as tho' the volunteers get discounted hotels nr. the Olympics. I take it the sound and light for the events isn't provided free (but maybe it is)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #74 on: 07 June, 2012, 09:34:13 am »
Volunteers?  Or coerced labour, sleeping rough?
Getting there...