Author Topic: What's caffeinating you today?  (Read 81907 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #725 on: April 01, 2021, 07:43:37 am »
Never tried a chemex, but not sure how/why it would differ from cone filter.

It’s all in the filters - they’re more filtery. Or something. If you can get them.

I’d say the main reason to choose a Chemex over other filters is that it’s a lovely object that looks good in one’s hipster kitchen, next to the Hario pouring kettle and freshly baked sourdough loaf.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Hot Flatus

• Mediocre polyglot.Scoutmaster and nudist
« Reply #726 on: April 01, 2021, 08:23:10 am »
Yeah the Hario kettle is a thing of beauty. But...with a small commercial espresso machine, and a massive cafe grinder already I'd probably have to get rid of the cooker

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #727 on: April 01, 2021, 11:37:32 am »
Having cranked up my Google-fu to learn about these thing you Earth people call “a Hario kettle*” this Unit's attention was drawn to the Bugatti Vera carbon-fibre kettle, which is a snip at only £2150.  Free delivery too :thumbsup:

* which to me resembles a tin sculpture of a Walnut Whip with a spout welded on as an afterthought
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #728 on: April 01, 2021, 11:48:07 am »
Whereas the Haribo one looks like the poo emoticon

And MrL, surely not being a cheapskate you would have chosen the Swar-wotsit Krystal Kettle

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #729 on: April 01, 2021, 11:50:05 am »
And MrL, surely not being a cheapskate you would have chosen the Swar-wotsit Krystal Kettle

Ewwwwwww!  Tacky!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• *** fool in a hurry
« Reply #730 on: April 01, 2021, 01:25:41 pm »
I am currently testing five Italian coffees on special offer from Maxicoffee. Results thus far: three out of five of them are vile.

MC did an excellent Italian blend but back in December they replaced Cherry robusta with something naff from Rwanda, and the stuff now tastes like jock-strap squeezings.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #731 on: April 01, 2021, 09:00:57 pm »
Since our espresso machine blew a gasket a couple of weeks ago we've been drinking filter coffee (usually a Colombian blend), and have now bought a 'Clever Dripper' while we decide what to do next. 
Am impressed by the quality of the brew from the Dripper, and the lack of faff.  Might even stick with the new device once we've found the most satisfactory grind/brew time/coffee variety. Can't say we're really coffee connoisseurs, and once the coffee shops re-open we'll be able to satisfy espresso/capuccino craving without the faff.

A large size Clever Dripper is my daily weapon of choice.  It makes a decent mug of brew.  The cafetiere still comes out occasionally.  I may as well put the Moka pots & Aeropress in the 'for sale" section.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• *** fool in a hurry
« Reply #732 on: April 02, 2021, 01:50:43 pm »
Fourth vile-coffee test today: upped the qty of beans, dropped the water qty and pulled a double. Slightly better, but now my eyes are jiggling in their sockets.

Hot Flatus

« Reply #733 on: April 02, 2021, 01:56:50 pm »
Has the 'artisan' roastery thing not hit France yet?

Maxicoffee is fine if you want Italian bar coffee, but lots of their stock is incredibly expensive for what it is, IMHO.

T42

• *** fool in a hurry
« Reply #734 on: April 02, 2021, 02:40:36 pm »
Has the 'artisan' roastery thing not hit France yet?

Maxicoffee is fine if you want Italian bar coffee, but lots of their stock is incredibly expensive for what it is, IMHO.

Years ago.  There are a couple of roasters in our area but I don't like either of them.  As I noted above I was drinking MC's Italian blend but they buggered it up. They had a special last week on Italian brands but from the flavour I'd put them at supermarket level.

There are a few other "artisan roasters" on line so I'll go prospecting.  I might start roasting again myself if I get desperate.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #735 on: April 02, 2021, 02:50:26 pm »
Looking around for suitable alternatives to Chemex proprietary filters, I found this site which goes into the matter in some detail:
https://foodsguy.com/best-chemex-filter-alternatives/

He's right that you get a very 'pure' cup of coffee from a Chemex. Whether or not you would consider this a benefit is perhaps down to personal taste. I certainly prefer Chemex to cafetière. Might not appeal so much to espresso fans.

I wasn't aware of the supposed health benefits but that all sounds a bit dubious to me anyway.

I looked up the Able Kone re-usable metal filter he mentions. It's £45! Fuck that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Hot Flatus

« Reply #736 on: April 02, 2021, 03:11:55 pm »
That's why I don't really like cafetiere, it's too 'muddy'. The cleanest flavour I've had is from a glass vacuum set (not tried a Chemex though) but it's just too much faff for me these days.

T42

• *** fool in a hurry
« Reply #737 on: April 08, 2021, 01:04:38 pm »
That's why I don't really like cafetiere, it's too 'muddy'. The cleanest flavour I've had is from a glass vacuum set (not tried a Chemex though) but it's just too much faff for me these days.

I have one of those, and it does produce a good result at 60-70 grammes/litre.  Trouble is that MrsT doesn't drink coffee and the minimum amount it'll make is enough to stand me on my ear at that concentration.

Hot Flatus

« Reply #738 on: April 08, 2021, 01:23:08 pm »
Very true. You can't just make one cup with the things. The other thing I found with them is that they are very very wasteful. You need an awful lot of coffee beans.

T42

• *** fool in a hurry
« Reply #739 on: April 26, 2021, 03:24:19 pm »
Having faffed around with my machine's settings I've finally coaxed a good flavour out of Maxicoffee's Italian blend.  I need to put it on a UPS now, the catch-22 being that to do so I'd have to unplug it and lose the settings. Still, I've got my drug-dealer's scales and I can remember the rest.

Anyway, came in here to post this:

Arabica-like flavour in a heat-tolerant wild coffee species

There are numerous factors to consider when developing climate-resilient coffee crops, including the ability to tolerate altered climatic conditions, meet agronomic and value chain criteria, and satisfy consumer preferences for flavour (aroma and taste). We evaluated the sensory characteristics and key environmental requirements for the enigmatic narrow-leaved coffee (Coffea stenophylla), a wild species from Upper West Africa1. We confirm historical reports of a superior flavour1,2,3 and uniquely, and remarkably, reveal a sensory profile analogous to high-quality Arabica coffee. We demonstrate that this species grows and crops under the same range of key climatic conditions as (sensorially inferior) robusta and Liberica coffee4,5,6,7,8,9 and at a mean annual temperature 6.2–6.8 °C higher than Arabica coffee, even under equivalent rainfall conditions. This species substantially broadens the climate envelope for high-quality coffee and could provide an important resource for the development of climate-resilient coffee crop plants.

You can still trust Nescafé to fuck it up, though.

From https://www.nature.com/articles/s41477-021-00891-4