Author Topic: A new pig in the family  (Read 2046 times)

simonali

A new pig in the family
« on: 10 June, 2008, 04:56:59 pm »
That's (the new) Lucy on the right and Rusty, who is nearly 5, on the left.

Rusty's sister died a while back and I was always unsure about getting her a new friend, but took the plunge today on a whim and they seem to get on OK.

Wish I'd done it a long time ago now!

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
Re: A new pig in the family
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2008, 05:17:17 pm »
Ahhh, they are so CUTE  :)
Hill Slug

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2008, 08:36:17 pm »
Sweeeeet!
The more guinea pigs I see on here and at our local kids' zoo, the more I'm thinking that they would be a great first pet for minimac when he's old enough to share/take responsibility. I always had hamsters so I'm a bit torn...

I'm also hoping minimac would like a couple of rats when he's older. They're great too.

This is all dependent on how long our cats last out, of course!

simonali

« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:26:46 pm »
Not a great pic, but this shows the size difference between the 2. Baby ones are bloody hard to catch!!  ;D

They're quite like dogs in that they spent quite a while sniffing each other's bum!

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2008, 10:06:54 pm »
Not a great pic, but this shows the size difference between the 2. Baby ones are bloody hard to catch!!  ;D

The bigger ones are quite hard to catch too, we took 2 of ours to my parents on Sunday, and we  had trouble catching them in their garden.

simonali

« Reply #5 on: 10 June, 2008, 11:14:00 pm »
With Rusty I just lift up the run and she just sits there. Easy-peasy!

« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2008, 11:28:47 pm »
Our two go out in the run in the back garden in decent weather.  When it's time for them to come in for the night, Mrs McB puts their little basket in the run and says "OK girls, time to go in now".  It's amazing how they (usually) hop in to the basket to go indoors for their tea.

We've had ours for two years now and we had no experience of guinea pigs beforehand.  I'm still amazed about how much personality they have and how you can train their behaviour.  They're a fantastic pet for small children.  :)

RJMcB

simonali

« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2008, 11:16:04 am »
Our run has a hinged section in the lid with a slot next to it so you just have to chase speedy up that end and slide a bit of wood into the slot to trap her. All very clever, designed and built by a friend for his kids guineas and then donated to us when they died and the kidshad decided they didn't want new ones.