Author Topic: Touring  (Read 5313 times)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: Touring
« Reply #25 on: 29 December, 2010, 01:50:20 pm »
I've done credit card touring on a single pannier which included a skirt and extra shoes for touristy stuff.  Similarly I took 2 children and 4 panniers, still no rack pack.  First time round one pannier was almost entirely filled with nappies.
I did Mildenhall with 2 panniers and a rack pack, but didn't include stove or saucepans - though I may have been able to stick'm in a rack pack had I bothered to try.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #26 on: 29 December, 2010, 02:14:14 pm »
cycled 'Lejog' this year with one pair of Assos shorts, washing them each night (although he did take a second pair just incase).

that's exactly how I did my JoGLE

Worth noting that front panniers can be used on the rear.

I started my JoGLE  like this but reduced my luggage en-route to fit in a Barley saddlebag with a jacket strapped to the top.I also had a bar bag for on-the-go-stuff such as camera,wallet,gloves,hat,arm warmers

« Reply #27 on: 29 December, 2010, 04:22:36 pm »
In case nobody's mentioned it, put spare clothes in plastic freezer bags with the plastic zip seals. Squeeze all the air out as you zip them up, besides being waterproof it means stuff takes up even less room.

For toiletries you can get sets of little plastic bottles and the like from Boots so you just take what you need.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #28 on: 29 December, 2010, 04:36:39 pm »
By contrast, when I tour I use the Dana approach - All Kinds of Everything  :)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #29 on: 29 December, 2010, 04:52:06 pm »
By contrast, when I tour I use the Dana approach - All Kinds of Everything  :)
;D

Me too 8).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #30 on: 29 December, 2010, 04:59:51 pm »
If camping then strap the tent across the rack...

I don't understand why people keep saying this.   

I strap my tent along the rack leaving my pannier tops free for en route access.  Mlle PB has an ortlieb bag across the rack and pannier tops.  It is a faff every time she want to get into a pannier.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 29 December, 2010, 05:06:09 pm »
As I have a Super C, it is secured by fastex buckles.  The straps hold the tent on the rack across the top of the panniers.  Anything I am likely to need en route is in hte saddlebag or barbag.  Panniers carry sleeping bag, mats, stove, change of clothes etc, so I don't need to open them till the tent's up next.
Getting there...