Author Topic: Yet another 2011 cycling fatality  (Read 1223 times)

spindrift

Re: Yet another 2011 cycling fatality
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2011, 12:45:30 pm »
It's made the nationals:

Teenage cycling champion tipped for Olympics is killed in horror smash five miles from his home  | Mail Online

Today it emerged Balyckyi of Walton-Le-Dale, Lancashire, who succeeded World champion cyclist Mark Cavendish as a junior winner of the British National Circuit Race Championships, had taken up the sport after a life battling adversity.

He was born eight weeks premature and overcame a stammer by taking up waiter jobs simply because they involved speaking to customers.

He became the under 16 champion at the BNCRC in 2008 and was tipped to take part in the 2012 Olympics having competed across England and Europe. He was a member of the Team Wallis squad based at the Ribble Valley.

Cyclists are now planning a memorial ride for Balyckyi which is expected to be attended by British Gold medal winning cyclist Bradley Wiggins.

The dead man's father Kevin Balyckyi, 46, a former fireman said his son had died 'doing what he loved.'

In an emotion-charged statement on behalf of his family Kevin added: 'Lewis was every parent's dream, he never had a frown on his face, always laughing.

'Whenever he was around the people he was with were uplifted and always felt better for the experience, his cheeky smile winning even the sternest of people over.

'He was a fighter from the moment he was born, eight weeks prematurely, he blossomed into the strapping man that he was, the fittest person I knew, and a resolve like no other.

'He battled against a stammer with typical vigour, like taking a job as a waiter, he never shied away from any challenge.   

'From the age of eight he raced his cycle all over the country, discovering a flair for winning that inspired his competitors to push themselves harder than they ever thought possible, although he was always down to earth and willing to help and give advice to whoever asked for it, even to his own detriment.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2011, 12:47:45 pm »
Isn't this just a normal (possibly low) average, based on around (I think I remember) 150 to 200 fatalities per year.

Tragic, yes, as any such case will always be - but not an abnormally bad start to the year.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2011, 01:41:17 pm »
Isn't this just a normal (possibly low) average, based on around (I think I remember) 150 to 200 fatalities per year.

Tragic, yes, as any such case will always be - but not an abnormally bad start to the year.

Three within the M25 in the first month, when the total is around 10-12 per year is not low but may be a blip.

« Reply #4 on: 20 January, 2011, 02:52:25 pm »
I hope they are a blip.

Considering the weather we have had in the past few weeks I presume that these fatalities are of regular all year cyclists.

I hope the trend doesnt work it's way up as it warms up in the spring and our fair weather friends come out to join us.