Author Topic: 'Working from Home' - How do you charge your company for Telephone/Broadband?  (Read 3291 times)

Our office closes at the end of the month.
2 of us become 'Home-based' and hence will need to use telephony and broadband in order to function.

There seems to be some confusion here (HR/IT and everybody else) on how best to achieve this.

Both of us already have BT home-phones and domestic broadband.
We'll need second lines for business use and a way to bill the broad-band useage.

Neuthjer iof us want 2 seperate BT and Broadband systems if necessary.

In the distant past I have added the 2nd line and transferred the Broadband to that and billed it to the company as 1 package.  Any reason why I cannot do that now?

Another question... a lot of these BT packages have unlimited calls.  What are peoples views of using that facility for family calls?  After-all it is not costing the company.  At the same time us homeworkers will be incurring extra costs for heating/lighting etc.

There may be more questions later.

But basically you 'based at homeworkers'  how do you organise, bill and use these things?

Cheers FF.

border-rider

For phone I use 18185 for work so that the work calls are billed separately and can be claimed back

The broadband - until recently I just charged the whole lot to work, since that was its primary use, but for reasons complex we now have two broadband connections, so I'll pay one and work the other

It was covered (not completely) in a previous topic:-

Whish ISP to go with and a new phone line question?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

For phone I use 18185 for work so that the work calls are billed separately and can be claimed back

The broadband - until recently I just charged the whole lot to work, since that was its primary use, but for reasons complex we now have two broadband connections, so I'll pay one and work the other

errrr, what's 18185 Mal?
 :-[

iakobski

Ideally they should provide and pay for the whole package directly. You should not have to pay and claim back as expenses. This should include the line and BB package, plus all hardware: router pc, printer, scanner, etc. They are saving £lots on not having an office, so should be prepared to pay for everything.

You are allowed to use the broadband for personal use if it is "incidental" - as you are full time work from home this is def. the case. For the phone calls, the official line is you should reimburse the company or pay tax on the benefit. If the calls are included in the package then that reimbursement is zero, so no tax liability - but if you could have got a cheaper package without the weekend calls then this argument won't hold.

As for the heating/lighting, this is not trivial, esp in the winter. Costing the Earth recently had an item showing how homeworkers had a greater carbon footprint than if they drove the car to the office. Whether you seek extra pay to cover is up to you, but be aware there are tax hassles if they offer to pay this as expenses.

border-rider

18185 is a service that you sign up to (free).  You get cheap rates on long-distance and international calls.  You dial that number and then dial the number you want.  It's cheaper, but it also give you separate and itemised billing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
[Veering OT]

18185 is brilliant!
6p/min UK mobile weekday
7p/min UK mobile weekend
1p/min Russia  ½p/min USA (IIRC)
3p/min Germany (IIRC)

Direct debited from my credit card every two months. Last bill was a whapping fiver!

border-rider

[staying OT]

I use it for interminable conference calls to the US, which cost 10s of pennies rather than 10s of pounds with BT

hellymedic

• Just do it!

jogler

• mojo operandi
I too work from home.
The cost of the broadband on the domestic phone bill is itemised.I simply use this as a receipt to claim it as expenses from the company.
The business phone is on a seperate line,obviously billed to the company.

ian

The advice to me was to set up a separate line for business calls and broadband*. I didn't take that advice as I was still recovering from my last encounter with BT. Frankly I didn't trust them to set up a second line without screwing up the one I had.

*The mothership will typically beam down black-suited operatives to achieve this goal. As Jake says, generally your employers should take full responsibility. Our typical homeworker set up has BT installing a second line purely for business calls and broadband (which isn't supposed to be used for other than incidental personal use, but can't realistically be policed, I don't know anyone with a second broadband connection on their personal line). I'm not typical, since I was acquired as part of another business.

So, the best option for me, to avoid tax liability issues was the mothership to take over my current set up and pay for all broadband and calls. Attempts to itemise personal usage turn it into a taxable benefit. Better to assume that it's a business asset, that like my business mobile, is used occasionally for personal use. It's arguable - the view was that it was the primary and majority use for both the phone and broadband. Certainly for phone bills, the cost of the line itself and business calls means the bill splits about 95:5 business to personal, which I think is fairly 'incidental'. Harder to quantify with the broadband, and I expect it would fall over on this if probed. At some point I may still have to be ready to let BT devils into my premises. Horror followed by endless darkness.

As a designated homeworker, the mothership provide for all equipment. Laptops, phones, monitors, docking stations, printers, ADSL router/modem, desk, chair, and anything that can be reasonably be construed as essential for the purposes of continuing business from home.

They do not contribute to heating and lighting. Partly because of the liability issues above and partly because they're mean.

Jameslondon

When I used to be based from home, the company installed separate lines and were billed directly.

They also paid a 'homeworker' allowance in my salary, which was basically a contribution towards the cost of utility bills - no reason why you shouldn't ask your employer for a similar contribution.

hmm, my lot are  meanies then - £10-00 PM contribution to BB, use company mobile for calls, although I  do (partly) choose to work from home and  the company provided 22" monitor is fitted with a kvm switch so I can use my own PC with it!

We were making private use of a business provided broadband line and paying benefit in kind tax, but the company has now stopped that so now I provide my own broadband and am allowed to bill the company £10/month for their use of my BB which doesn't cover my costs as the traffic is pretty heavy.  It's also taxable, the bastards.

I then have a separate business phone line for voice calls which is billed directly to my employer.