Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391182 times)

border-rider

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #25 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:45:06 pm »
So if you don't have a GPS thingy, what are the quality of directions like?

fine

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #26 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:52:29 pm »
A different question.

Does anyone know if it is easy to get a control in Yalding (Kent), particularly on Sundays?  Any suggestions (I'll probably be starting a ride from there at around 8am and probably finishing 8pm ish plus or minus an hour).
The El Supremo perm Seaford-Yalding uses a shop. It had only just opened when i arrived and that was after leaving Mayfield at 5am. Maybe aslo a Permit to travel or a train ticket? perhaps not central enough..... have a look at the shop opening hours. a trip to google might help.....
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #27 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:59:12 pm »
Do you need a GPS thingymibob?
Not in the least. but if you want to fritter away simply oceans of time in the evenings instead of watching Strictly Come Policeman Drama Hospital Vet Fluffy Pet Fat People Being Stupid then they are absolutely super-califragilistic and super. Ho yes. As for telling you where to go, they are helpful on long rides but not really on short ones.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #28 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:13:45 pm »
A different question.

Does anyone know if it is easy to get a control in Yalding (Kent), particularly on Sundays?  Any suggestions (I'll probably be starting a ride from there at around 8am and probably finishing 8pm ish plus or minus an hour).

Have a play with Google street view, (what Martin said^) to see what's out there. Did this on DIY 400 last year using South Harting, but found nothing there, next option was Petersfield which was OK.
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

« Reply #29 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:32:39 pm »
Do you need a GPS thingymibob?
Not in the least. but if you want to fritter away simply oceans of time in the evenings instead of watching Strictly Come Policeman Drama Hospital Vet Fluffy Pet Fat People Being Stupid then they are absolutely super-califragilistic and super. Ho yes. As for telling you where to go, they are helpful on long rides but not really on short ones.

No TV so no worries there.

So you need a map then?

border-rider

« Reply #30 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:34:35 pm »
No, but if it's terra incognito for you then one can be helpful

Usually the routesheet is sufficient

« Reply #31 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:43:20 pm »
Ok cheers, might give one a go.

Do you need to be in some sort of club or anything or do you just put your name down as wanting to take part?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:43:31 pm »
Indeed, it's very rare to need a map, but carrying the standard pages from £3.99 road atlas is very reassuring.

It seems that the main benefit of using GPS is this sort of thing:
Before getting off at Honiton I realised that I forgot to transfer my route file to the little GPS machine. Not again (did same thing last year for the Kernow&SW). I  had lovingly modified IanH's track, added a couple of symbols and notes, including a different route through Barnstaple and now it was on the wrong computer. Garmins can talk to each other via wireless so Panoramix and I gave it a try at the start. It looked a bit like a Garmin breeding business. After some initial success, we had cried victory to early (Panoramix's words) as Edge and Dakota couldn't finish their business. Luckily Feline had the right cable with her, so I was able to quickly download Ian's original track via tourist office's PC.

EDIT: there may be facetious elements in the above - I am well aware that some riders really struggle even with the finest routesheets. But the cheap option is to try an event with just a routesheet before buying a GPS.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #33 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:48:46 pm »
GPSs are great for people like me. My GPS has transformed my enjoyment of riding Audaxes.

1) I confuse left and right
2) I forget instructions I read 15 seconds ago
3) My eyes are ageing and in low light and in the dark I cannot read routesheets unless I have reading glasses on. I do not need glasses for anything other than reading
4) I forgot this point. Where was I? Shall I go back to the first point and try again?
5) Oh yes. Although I am getting better at it, I do not think in Kms. Thinking '5 to the next turn' has meant that I've gone 8.

It is simpler than it looks.

Martin

« Reply #34 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:51:11 pm »
Ok cheers, might give one a go.

Do you need to be in some sort of club or anything or do you just put your name down as wanting to take part?

Absolutely anybody can enter an Audax no need to be in a club or the CTC; you need to pay £2 insurance if you don't have it through  the CTC or BC

and if you have a Paypal account you can enter many events online

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #35 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:51:40 pm »
Where is Mrs Miles gone?
Chief cat entertainer.

Martin

« Reply #36 on: 10 May, 2011, 11:56:49 pm »
Where is has Mrs Miles gone?

last seen sliding down a pole (or else this board) Jan 11th

« Reply #37 on: 11 May, 2011, 12:07:23 am »
OK, so someone with a really strong sense of their bearings and direction and good at finding their way, a route sheet should be easily doable?

At the minute I look up my routes on Google maps and then cast them to memory before going out, granted it's not 200 or 300ks worth of directions but around 50-70 miles.

« Reply #38 on: 11 May, 2011, 12:44:30 am »
OK, so someone with a really strong sense of their bearings and direction and good at finding their way, a route sheet should be easily doable?

At the minute I look up my routes on Google maps and then cast them to memory before going out, granted it's not 200 or 300ks worth of directions but around 50-70 miles.

You generally need to keep a good eye on your route sheet so you don't miss any of the controls or info controls. I use a GPS but also laminate my route sheet in small pieces and bulldog clip it to my bars where I can see it. If my GPS went pear shaped I could (probably) still complete the ride even with no map.

Personally the aspects of Audax I enjoy most are the riding, the scenery and chatting to other cycling nutters. I don't really enjoy navigation, and I enjoy a ride much less if I am constantly wondering if I am going the right way, a GPS basically gives me reassurance that I am on route. Oh, and I have no sense of direction and my knowledge of geography is crap too.

The best route sheets give a distance in km for each instruction, e.g. 'Turn L at T 56.2 km'
It is much easier to miss turns or even worse completely forget how far down the sheet you are if there are no distances on it to cross reference.

+1 to what Jaded said about forgetting 15 seconds after you just read the sheet what the next instruction is  :facepalm:

« Reply #39 on: 11 May, 2011, 01:27:28 am »

+1 to what Jaded said about forgetting 15 seconds after you just read the sheet what the next instruction is  :facepalm:

Phew!  I thought it was just me who had this problem.

« Reply #40 on: 11 May, 2011, 09:24:01 am »

We all managed to get round fine with routesheets in the pre-GPS days and I don't think the standards of routesheets have dropped at all.

I'd recommend trying to trace where the routesheet goes on a map before the event as it often makes it a lot clearer on the ride. If you know some of the towns, villages or landmarks you should pass en route it offers a bit of reassurance when you're riding.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #41 on: 11 May, 2011, 09:26:34 am »

We all managed to get round fine with routesheets in the pre-GPS days and I don't think the standards of routesheets have dropped at all.

I'd recommend trying to trace where the routesheet goes on a map before the event as it often makes it a lot clearer on the ride. If you know some of the towns, villages or landmarks you should pass en route it offers a bit of reassurance when you're riding.

+1 for this

Google StreetView can also be of great assistance in working out any tricky instructions in the route sheet whilst you are tracing out the route.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #42 on: 11 May, 2011, 09:37:49 am »

If anything they've improved (based on comments from veterans).

Doosh:
You're being very sensible, but probably overly pessimistic. I suggest you find a routesheet on one of the AUKWeb calendar pages, and see if you think it would work for you on the road.
(I can email you one of mine if you don't find any - not all events have them on the website).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #43 on: 11 May, 2011, 10:43:23 am »
Doosh, I think that this forum might sometimes give you the impression that us Audaxers are a tetchy and argumentative bunch. Let me say that I've always found riders and organisers to be incredibly helpful on the actual events. If you let people know it's your first Audax ride you won't be short of offers of help and advice.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #44 on: 11 May, 2011, 12:04:15 pm »
For me part of the challenge would be finding my way, a bit like orienteering but on a bike  :thumbsup:

I think the recent resurgence in cycling has bought with it a lot of people who can throw lots of money at a new hobby, those that can jump straight in with a Ti bike and £400s worth of GPS, that's not a criticism BTW, but for relative newbies to these things it gives the impression that you need all this stuff. I hear or read very little of people who do this on a modest/realistic budget.

I know cycling has a large element of boy's toys about it but that's partly what I want to get away from, I'm not interested in whether or not someone is wearing 'this year's jersey' or how much all the little add-on trinkets cost.

Back on topic- my concerns have been answered above. I was worried that with the rise of GPS that the written route sheets would have consequently suffered, I'm glad to hear they haven't and I'll try and get hold of one to look at.

Thanks for all the help.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #45 on: 11 May, 2011, 12:10:00 pm »
Have you considered doing an audax ride from Alfreton?

« Reply #46 on: 11 May, 2011, 12:11:00 pm »
For what it's worth, I rode the 99 PBP on a forty year old fixed wheel with a bottle dynamo (£7.00), no gps, computer or any other gadgetry. I reckon I clocked over 1,200 miles during that seven day period.

« Reply #47 on: 11 May, 2011, 12:12:11 pm »

I think the recent resurgence in cycling has bought with it a lot of people who can throw lots of money at a new hobby, those that can jump straight in with a Ti bike and £400s worth of GPS, that's not a criticism BTW, but for relative newbies to these things it gives the impression that you need all this stuff. I hear or read very little of people who do this on a modest/realistic budget.

The riders who are fairly anti-technology probably don't have a computer and so don't post on this forum at all  ;D

Inevitably the population here is skewed towards those who like using technology (or at least computers) and who like talking about bikes as well as riding them. This isn't the case within Audax UK in general from what I've seen so far. You will see plenty of modest bikes with low-tech route sheet holders only on them on any Audax, and they often won't be the slow ones either!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #48 on: 11 May, 2011, 12:22:01 pm »

Back on topic- my concerns have been answered above. I was worried that with the rise of GPS that the written route sheets would have consequently suffered, I'm glad to hear they haven't and I'll try and get hold of one to look at.

Thanks for all the help.

Go to the calandar on the Audax web site

Calendar of Audax UK cycling events

& click on a random number of events untill you find one of those with a link to the route sheet eg:-

event detail

which you can  open/download as a pdf.

Read on
HTH

« Reply #49 on: 11 May, 2011, 12:34:19 pm »
For what it's worth, I rode the 99 PBP on a forty year old fixed wheel with a bottle dynamo (£7.00), no gps, computer or any other gadgetry. I reckon I clocked over 1,200 miles during that seven day period.

But if you'd had GPS you'd have finished it in four days only having covered 750 miles  :)

IGMC