Author Topic: Rider Lists  (Read 19199 times)

Rider Lists
« on: 23 March, 2011, 12:36:59 pm »
Hi All,

We’ve been asked to put a link on PEAK 100’s website for a list of riders taking part.

As you are seasoned pros when it comes to sportives, audaxes and the like, does having a list of people taking part sway you to take part or not?

If you see loads of people taking part does that put you off, or make you want to join?
Or if you didn’t know how many people were taking part would you have second thoughts about signing up?

We didn’t do a riders list for The Macc Monster last October, but I’ve been informed it’s what many of you come to expect when you sign up to a cycle.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks,

KidsCan

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Rider Lists
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2011, 12:46:07 pm »
I'd like to hear Liamfitz and Martin's views.   ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2011, 01:54:02 pm »
I'd welcome your views too Jaded.

It's a question for everyone to answer  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2011, 01:57:30 pm »
Isn't this A Debate?

I feel cheated.
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:00:28 pm »
We’ve been asked to put a link on PEAK 100’s website for a list of riders taking part.

Interesting question - there are pros-n-cons.

What did the orginal requestor give as her/his reason?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:01:19 pm »
Does the Peak 100 visit Speedwell Cavern?

AndyH

« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:01:42 pm »
does having a list of people taking part sway you to take part or not?
no

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:05:11 pm »
Well, if you are here to find out about lists of riders specifically I'd need to know more.

What do you mean by 'a list'?

A total number? All their names? One of those spreadsheets that organisers think is in a safe place on the website but ends up giving away everyone's email addresses? Would people be able to opt out, or enter as Mickey Mouse if they don't really want the entire world to know what their hobby is?

Also, sorry, I forgot what event we are talking about, was it the PEAK 100 or the The Macc Monster? Maybe it is both the The Macc Monster and the PEAK 100? Is it the PEAK 100 that is about to run, or the Macc Monster?  ;)

« Reply #8 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:09:19 pm »

Interesting question - there are pros-n-cons.

What did the orginal requestor give as her/his reason?

Another big cycle which happens around this time but shall remain nameless has a riders list.

I think there are others which have one, but that was the main reason behind having a list.

Would you say that the pros outweigh the cons?

« Reply #9 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:12:15 pm »
Well, if you are here to find out about lists of riders specifically I'd need to know more.

What do you mean by 'a list'?

A total number? All their names? One of those spreadsheets that organisers think is in a safe place on the website but ends up giving away everyone's email addresses? Would people be able to opt out, or enter as Mickey Mouse if they don't really want the entire world to know what their hobby is?

Also, sorry, I forgot what event we are talking about, was it the PEAK 100 or the The Macc Monster? Maybe it is both the The Macc Monster and the PEAK 100? Is it the PEAK 100 that is about to run, or the Macc Monster?  ;)

This is the link to the list HERE

As you can see it's their name, which number they are signed up and which club they are a member of.
Nothing more.

We're talking about riders taking part in PEAK 100. Our April cycle.
The Macc Monster is our October cycle.

I don't see any reason to put any more information than that.
What do you think?

« Reply #10 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:12:24 pm »
What sways my entry is the past number of entries.  Unlike sportives which are a sporadic in the matter, Audax UK publish the number of riders participating in each event almost to the year dot.  Personally, I am less persuaded to travel half across the country to a diddy event that attracts five entries as opposed to an event that attracts more and is a clear success.

Interestingly, LVIS publish their audax entrants in advance of the event ( Las Vegas Institute of Sport Audax ) .  I may consider doing the same in future.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #11 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:13:35 pm »
Well, I don't want my name used to promote an event, so I'm out.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:14:23 pm »
You don't want to hear my views, Kidscan.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #13 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:17:56 pm »

Hi Mr Bunbury.
This is the link for the route
Event Route Info | Peak 100 Spring Classic Sportive | KidsCan Charity Cycling Event

As far as I know it doesn't go to Speedwell Cavern.

What sways my entry is the past number of entries.  Unlike sportives which are a sporadic in the matter, Audax UK publish the number of riders participating in each event almost to the year dot.  Personally, I am less persuaded to travel half across the country to a diddy event that attracts five entries as opposed to an event that attracts more and is a clear success.

Interestingly, LVIS publish their audax entrants in advance of the event ( Las Vegas Institute of Sport Audax ) .  I may consider doing the same in future.

Hi Philip,
We have over 80 taking part so far, with a few weeks to go.
How many people would you consider being a good amount for you to take part in a Sportive?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #14 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:28:04 pm »
That's a pity, I like the show caves.  You should try visiting sometime, you'd appreciate them.

« Reply #15 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:28:18 pm »
Hi Philip,
We have over 80 taking part so far, with a few weeks to go.
How many people would you consider being a good amount for you to take part in a Sportive?

To answer your question there is no simple answer.  If the sportive funnels 1,000 riders down narrow country lanes then it has be avoided on safety and comfort.   If it were an event that hired large scale event facilities, promised gold but only had 100 entries near closure then I would question its viability and the organiser's ability to deliver what they were promising.

However the answer is fairly academic as I no longer enter sportives following some poor experiences.  So I stick to my old favourite, audaxes.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Alouicious

« Reply #16 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:30:58 pm »

I'll second that.

Name and rider's number visible on a website. I've enough enemies. I don't want anyone advertising where I am, thank you.

« Reply #17 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:33:05 pm »
That's a pity, I like the show caves.  You should try visiting sometime, you'd appreciate them.

On a personal note, I've stayed in Cowdale before but the better half wasn't up for caves! We went to Ashbourne instead, which was nice, but lacking in caves!

« Reply #18 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:35:18 pm »

To answer your question there is no simple answer.  If the sportive funnels 1,000 riders down narrow country lanes then it has be avoided on safety and comfort.   If it were an event that hired large scale event facilities, promised gold but only had 100 entries near closure then I would question its viability and the organiser's ability to deliver what they were promising.

However the answer is fairly academic as I no longer enter sportives following some poor experiences.  So I stick to my old favourite, audaxes.

Bit of a rock and a hard place situation then really!
Thanks for your help Philip.

I'll second that.

Name and rider's number visible on a website. I've enough enemies. I don't want anyone advertising where I am, thank you.

Again, some good feedback there.
Thank you very much for your posts.
This helps shape the way we design the PEAK 100 website in future and indeed have the changes in place for the Macc Monster's website.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:37:57 pm »
Sounds like an elaborate snare operation to me.

(Oops - I wasn't supposed to mention Detective Whiteman's day job ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Alouicious

« Reply #20 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:42:42 pm »

I deleted that post. I considered a more serious situation.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #21 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:46:16 pm »
Rather than your sterile "what do you think about our website?" lead ins to transparently try and get us to look at your website and so, somehow, by some kind of voodoo, feel the need to ride the sportive there are other ways to promote your event

1) some nice photos of last year, people having fun, smiling that kind of thing

2) review of the event last year, tales of pies etc

3) what kind of stuff the $$$ raised is used for as it is a charity event

4) get one of your real entrants to come on this forum and say "I'm doing the Kidscan sportive thing, are you?"

5) stats.  Slowest person last time.  % cloud cover. etc etc  You'd be surprised how much more people are interested in that than the minutiae of your webpage

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #22 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:48:50 pm »

He's a game keeper?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 23 March, 2011, 02:51:20 pm »
I can't ride now.
Most of my cycling was done before the interwebs were popular.

If I were to leave my home to do a ride which would mean I'd be out all day, I would not like this fact disseminated all over the intertubes.

I'd quite like to know who my companions for the day may be but the bush telegraph will suffice.

A Luddite of Edgware

« Reply #24 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:06:33 pm »

If I were to leave my home to do a ride which would mean I'd be out all day, I would not like this fact disseminated all over the intertubes.

This is an important point.  I had mentioned earlier that I might consider publishing the entry list prior to an event.  Upon reflection and hearing some of the comments raised in this thread, there are clearly good reasons why entry lists should not be published prior to the event.