Author Topic: "We've got a tube but it's the wrong size"  (Read 6753 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
"We've got a tube but it's the wrong size"
« on: 02 April, 2011, 09:00:47 pm »
On our ride today we encountered a couple of mountain bikers standing around at a junction with a main road. We made small talk as we waited for the rest of our group to get to the top of the climb - they'd punctured. They didn't seem to be doing anything about it so I asked "do you have a spare tube?", which resulted in the subject line  ???

They said it was the "wrong width". We reassured them that even if it was not optimal, it would suffice to get them home, tubes are designed to fill a range of tyre widths etc but they were having none of it. Apparently it didn't match the 2.1" or 2.2" marking on the tyre so it wouldn't do. Hell, I'm sure my 700c x 18-25 spare would do the job. No go - they were phoning for a taxi to get home. Not sure how the cabbie would feel about a muddy MTB in the back of his cab...

The scary thing was that they were preparing for a 100-mile charity ride. On the road, with Carrera near-BSOs. Is there any excuse to be this clueless, what with the internet and that?

Re: "We've got a tube but it's the wrong size"
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2011, 10:30:14 am »
Not even carrying a repair kit?  But wouldn't know how to use it anyway by the sound of it.

:facepalm:
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2011, 10:31:06 am »
Unfortunately there are still some out there that buy a bike and end it there.

A few weeks ago my CTC Old Thames Valley Gits group met a chap by Boulter's Lock in Maidenhead who was pushing his nice carbon Spesh with a flat front tyre.  Of course, he was wearing carbon shoes with Look-style plates, so waddling was the order of the day.  Walking to Marlow, at least 5 miles away! :o

We chatted; he had no spare tube, no pump, no tools whatsoever.  We took his tube, sorted the puncture with a Park patch and listened to his excuse that he was just using cycling as a form of cross training because he was actually rower. :-\

FWIW, my MTB uses winter 26 x 2.35 tyres and 26 x 1.9/2.1 for the summer.  In either case, all my spare MTB tubes are 26 x 1.3, as I can get two of these into my bottle cage spares tub rather than just one fat one.
Old enough to know better!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2011, 02:16:27 pm »
I'd rather knit my own tube from beetles than call a taxi.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2011, 02:21:27 pm »
True, even in "cycling" countries.

About 20 years ago I was on tour in the hills above Lake Annecy.  I passed a mountain top cafe which was obviously a turning point for local riders out for a quick climb.  A couple of miles into the descent I came across a rider standing at the side of the road with a flashy machine and in full flashy kit, so I stopped.  He had a rear wheel puncture and had a spare tube and levers but no pump, so I offered him mine.  It did not help because he did not know how to remove the wheel, let alone take a tyre off, so I ended up doing the job for him.

« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2011, 03:12:57 pm »
I'd rather knit my own tube from beetles than call a taxi.

There's always the 'stuff it with grass' option....*

On an MTB with knobblies, I'd have thought you could ride a fair bit on a flat tyre, if you put your mind to it. My winter hack has Big Apples and they will function at very low pressures (yes, I'm rubbish at maintenance).

*Actually, I'd have thought that with a bit of searching you'd find enough plastic bags and random polystyrene in most roadside ditches to effect a stuffing of some sort.

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2011, 03:25:13 pm »
FFS I've used the wrong size tube on a motorbike before to get me home never mind a push bike.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2011, 03:45:49 pm »
I once (badly) fitted a wrong sized tube, and it exploded about 5 minutes after I put the right amount of pressure in it. This tube was too big for the tyre. I think it got me the 5km home with low pressure though, but it had a quite bad wobble.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2011, 03:54:50 pm »
I once (badly) fitted a wrong sized tube, and it exploded about 5 minutes after I put the right amount of pressure in it. This tube was too big for the tyre. I think it got me the 5km home with low pressure though, but it had a quite bad wobble.

That was just coincidence or because you didn't tuck it in completely.  A big tube doesn't put any more force on the tyre than a normal one does, or make it any bigger - the tyre being a rigid thing compared to the tube.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2011, 04:00:18 pm »
[He had a rear wheel puncture and had a spare tube and levers but no pump, so I offered him mine.  It did not help because he did not know how to remove the wheel, let alone take a tyre off, so I ended up doing the job for him.

FFS!  Nobody ever showed me how to take a wheel off; I looked at how it was attached and worked it out for myself.  It really isn't rocket science.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2011, 04:12:30 pm »
I once (badly) fitted a wrong sized tube, and it exploded about 5 minutes after I put the right amount of pressure in it.

Same.

Though it was a 26" tube in a (thankfully reasonably chunky) 700c tyre, which is always going to be a bit fiddly.

I now have tubes of all three relevant sizes permanently installed in a pocket of my rack bag in case I swap it between bikes without thinking again.  And a spare tube cable-tied to the frame of my hybrid, because that's the one I tend to jump on without thinking about tools and spares.

Not carrying tubes and tools is understandable, at least for utility cyclists or people out with the kids on BSOs who don't really know what they're doing.  It's not carrying a pump that baffles me.  With MTB-ish tyres, especially the slime-filled variety, an awful lot of punctures are slow enough that you can get yourself home by putting a bit more air in every mile or two.   :facepalm:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2011, 04:20:29 pm »
I tend not to bother with a pump when going only a couple of miles on Marathon Plus tyres :smug:

« Reply #12 on: 03 April, 2011, 04:36:08 pm »
... It really isn't rocket science.

Even if it was, that wouldn't worry me. ;D

On my commute I'll carry two spare inner tubes (to suit whichever bike I'm cycling), a pump, a CO2 inflater, and a puncher repair kit.

On a longer ride, like a FNRttC, I'll often carry more inner tubes and CO2 cartridges, and occasionally a spare tyre.  I've used all of them on one occasion or another.

My record for punctures is three in a commute, on two different occasions, probably a decade apart.  Generally these days the better tyres that I use make punctures much rarer, but the last triple puncture trip was about 18 months ago (with a damaged, and compromised Marathon Supreme).

I've always known how to get a wheel off, and repair a puncture.  I'm much more practised at it now, and can get most tyres on without having to resort to mechanical aids, but I do have a tool for those extra tight racing tyres that can occasionally cause problems.

In an emergency most combinations of inner tubes and tyres will work, the exceptions being too extreme disparities in diameters (eg a 700C inner tube in a Brompton tyre), a smaller inner tube than the tyre, and a very extreme range between small inner tube width and large tyre width (although I'd try that at low pressure if I had no other option).

It's amazing that people can't deal with such an easy repair, but then again many people can't deal with a flat on a car, and that's generally easier than one on a bike (in my limited experience).  Many cyclists don't seem to have grasped that rear LED lights occasionally need new batteries either, and seem to assume that they're designed to last the lifetime of the bike, so it's not a unique class of problem. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #13 on: 03 April, 2011, 04:40:12 pm »
True, even in "cycling" countries.

About 20 years ago I was on tour in the hills above Lake Annecy.  I passed a mountain top cafe which was obviously a turning point for local riders out for a quick climb.  A couple of miles into the descent I came across a rider standing at the side of the road with a flashy machine and in full flashy kit, so I stopped.  He had a rear wheel puncture and had a spare tube and levers but no pump, so I offered him mine.  It did not help because he did not know how to remove the wheel, let alone take a tyre off, so I ended up doing the job for him.

So he didn't have to get his hands dirty.........noot I have an idea.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 03 April, 2011, 05:08:16 pm »

Not carrying tubes and tools is understandable, at least for utility cyclists or people out with the kids on BSOs who don't really know what they're doing.  It's not carrying a pump that baffles me.  With MTB-ish tyres, especially the slime-filled variety, an awful lot of punctures are slow enough that you can get yourself home by putting a bit more air in every mile or two.   :facepalm:

Pumps get nicked. I never got on with mini-pumps.
(Not that I'd go out without a pump; I understand those who take the risk or have theirs filched.)

« Reply #15 on: 03 April, 2011, 05:17:14 pm »

It's amazing that people can't deal with such an easy repair,

What's more amazing to me is that the couple of cyclists who were clearly inexperienced, refused to accept the opinion of a group of riders who presumably clearly knew what they were talking about.

I wonder if they were embarrassed that they had a tube but didn't know how to replace it, so pretended they thought it wouldn't work to avoid looking incompetent.

And if they think it's so important, why weren't they carrying the 'right' sized tube in the first place?

« Reply #16 on: 03 April, 2011, 05:20:16 pm »
I have a friend who is an academic genius.   He has no idea at all about how to sort his bike and he struggles with changing batteries on his TV remote let alone a bike lamp.   

We all have differing talents...

« Reply #17 on: 03 April, 2011, 05:23:22 pm »
I have a friend who is an academic genius.   He has no idea at all about how to sort his bike and he struggles with changing batteries on his TV remote let alone a bike lamp.   

Are you sure this isn't an affectation?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #18 on: 03 April, 2011, 05:24:19 pm »

Oh, sure.  I was once stood with a group of colleagues trying to buy a subway ticket in Mexico City, and we were failing to understand the stunningly simple system* until a helpful English speaker helped out.  I worked out later, our group of 5 had about 20 degrees of various forms between us...

*any trip, 2 pesos. Any distance, if it's one trip through the gates, it's 2 pesos.  We were assuming all sorts of zones and stuff.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #19 on: 03 April, 2011, 05:39:57 pm »
What's more amazing to me is that the couple of cyclists who were clearly inexperienced, refused to accept the opinion of a group of riders who presumably clearly knew what they were talking about.

Yes exactly. They admitted they were clueless, and they asked us advice about doing a charity ride. But they were adamant the tube they had would not do.

Anyway, it's already become a clubrun meme. We suffered a puncture today on the way home and somebody asked why they were taking so long... "they have a tube but it's the wrong size!"  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 03 April, 2011, 05:43:02 pm »
It's amazing that people can't deal with such an easy repair, but then again many people can't deal with a flat on a car, and that's generally easier than one on a bike (in my limited experience).

I dunno, they're fairly different skills.

Getting a car wheel off means undoing the wheel nuts.  That means knowing about and having the key for the locking nuts if it's a modern posh car, and having enough strength/mass/leverage to undo a bolt that was probably done up a couple of years ago by a guy at Kwik-fit with an impact wrench.  An awful lot of people are going to fail at that hurdle.  Lifting car wheels isn't exactly trivial strength-wise either.  Oily dykes and cyclists aside, I don't think I know many women who'd even bother trying.

Bike tyres can be bastards to get back on the rim, but there are at least tools and knacks that can help with that.

Of course, modern cars tend to come with a can of slime and a compressor, or if you're really lucky, a tesco value space-saver spare wheel, which seems to be more of an effort to cover legal requirements rather than something that's expected to be genuinely useful, and the expected procedure is to call the AA from your mobile phone.  I think there's a general assumption amongst non-cyclists that punctures are as rare as they are on car tyres, and that similar levels of preparedness are therefore appropriate.

« Reply #21 on: 03 April, 2011, 09:02:25 pm »
Is there no one else who will admit that they have sufficient hatred of changing tubes & tyres that they will feign patheticness?

Am I capable of changing a tube? Yes
Do I hate it? Yes
Do I find that standing by the side of the road elicits male cyclists to stop and offer to help? Yes
Have I ever needed to stand for more that 10 minutes? No
Would it have taken longer than that to do myself? Yes
Does that make me shameless?  Probably
Do I care? No

Most people on yacf seem to like fiddling around with their bikes.  I like to ride mine.  I get no joy whatsoever from cleaning/adjusting/faffing around with it. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 03 April, 2011, 09:10:08 pm »
Most people on yacf seem to like fiddling around with their bikes.  I like to ride mine.  I get no joy whatsoever from cleaning/adjusting/faffing around with it. 

Heresy!   :P

(I have no particular love of faffing about with tyres, unlike more satisfying forms of fettling, but I'd be too embarrassed to not sort it out myself.)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 03 April, 2011, 09:10:40 pm »
The above method does not work if you are not an attractive young woman.

Fact.
Getting there...

« Reply #24 on: 03 April, 2011, 09:13:42 pm »
The above method does not work if you are not an attractive young woman.

Fact.

I don't know - myself and an elderly lady stopped to help an incompetant and unprepared chap on a canal tow path once ;D. I hope he was suitably embarassed by a 70 something lady mending his puncture!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.