Author Topic: Tomatoes?  (Read 15084 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Tomatoes?
« Reply #25 on: 11 September, 2011, 03:31:56 pm »
Our toms are ripening but seem in no rush; They have sizable points. Anyone else have pointy toms?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #26 on: 11 September, 2011, 03:53:36 pm »
Not one red tomato. Dozens of green ones tho. Need to get them fried at the Whistle Stop Cafe praps. The sun has now gorn by looks of things :-(
Ditto.
My tomato crop this year was an epic fail, and the chillis didn't fare much better either :( Ironically, I did fare rather better in the raspberry/strawberry stakes.

On the other hand my mother, who lives in the wilds of County Durham, has a greenhouse that is full to bursting (quite literally) with ripe tomatoes. Last time I was up there I had some of the cherry tomatoes and they were unspeakably gorgeous.

« Reply #27 on: 12 September, 2011, 01:47:10 pm »
Our toms are ripening but seem in no rush; They have sizable points. Anyone else have pointy toms?

We're all of a sudden getting more red uns.  The Italian plums seem to be pointy...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 12 September, 2011, 02:14:46 pm »
David has brought in about two kilograms of red toms in the last day. We can't eat so many!
Our pointy toms are round, not plum.

corshamjim

« Reply #29 on: 12 September, 2011, 07:25:54 pm »
Mine have all been blown about by the wind so a lot of them have ended up rotting on the ground.  There are still lots of green ones clear of the ground though so I'm optimistic there will still be a fair few to harvest if we get a little sunshine.

I had the first of our plum tomatoes today - just the one is red while all the rest are still very green.  And two or three yellow ones too.  I must try one before Claire snaffles the lot.

I confess I wasn't very methodical with tomatoes on the allotment.  I was given a couple of dozen plants so I pretty much just plonked them in the ground with some compost and hoped for the best.  I can see I would have probably done better with a bit of care.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 14 September, 2011, 09:50:19 am »
Does anyone want some of our excess? Very red, quite sweet, can you collect?

« Reply #31 on: 26 September, 2011, 05:59:43 pm »
Too far away, & we (at last!) have enough now.

But not for much longer. B****t.  >:(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 30 September, 2011, 08:06:17 pm »
We're still getting about 1kg/day. Can't eat or give them away fast enough!
Fridge is full. Freezer is full.

« Reply #33 on: 23 October, 2011, 07:41:13 pm »

Bet you havn't got one like this?

;D
Rich

« Reply #34 on: 23 October, 2011, 07:59:39 pm »
It took a couple of years, but finally the forum becomes indistinguishable from "That's Life!"
Cyril?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 23 October, 2011, 08:08:26 pm »

;D

We  had a similar one which resembled a pair of boobs, with a voluptuous cleavage.

« Reply #36 on: 23 October, 2011, 08:20:45 pm »
Esther?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #37 on: 24 October, 2011, 03:36:42 pm »
Last of the outdoor tomatoes harvested yesterday - 2kg this time round, making a total of 20+kg from the 8 plants.

Several of the plants had smaller harvests - but they were heritage types that were being grown as an experiment, more than for large harvests.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #38 on: 24 October, 2011, 04:06:01 pm »

;D
Marmande? I can't kill the buggers, they keep cropping.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #39 on: 24 September, 2017, 02:46:03 pm »
This year's tomatoes are really very nice.
David bought some 'fun to grow' tomato seeds from B&Q.

They're supposed to be the 'Tanya' variety, which, according to my interwebs reading are small, red and round. About 80% of the plentiful crop are like this and tasty they are too.

The other 20% are yellow, pear-shaped plum tomatoes. They are just GORGEOUS! They are very sweet but still taste of tomato.

It seems yellow plum tomatoes are usually a little more exclusive.

But these 'interlopers' are VERY good!

« Reply #40 on: 26 September, 2017, 08:51:52 pm »
We've had a good crop of blight this year. A few tomatoes managed to ripen first.

There are two plants in the front garden, where the blight hasn't reached, but they're very late ripening. Only a couple ripe so far.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #41 on: 26 September, 2017, 09:19:41 pm »
I don't bother with outdoor anymore.

I had a few good years of them in a courtyard garden in growbags, plenty of sun bouncing around.

Soil here is too heavy and damp, clayey, stays cold and they always end up blighted.

I have space for 5 plants in the greenhouse, a cucumber or two at the end and some chillis in the soil as well.  They always do well in there, this year we've had a great crop.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #42 on: 26 September, 2017, 10:02:37 pm »
Most of our toms are in compost in pots. Some are sheltered under the patio canopy and have outgrown the mini-greenhouse where they started. Some are in the back, in the clay, by the observatory. All are cropping well though those sheltering on our sunny, southwest-facing wall are ripening sooner.

« Reply #43 on: 27 September, 2017, 01:24:38 pm »
Cucumbers usually do well on our allotment, but this year they started well, cropping heavily (we were giving the surplus to neighbours, as usual), then suddenly started wilting. Disease? Dunno, but I won't plant any in that patch next year, & the wilted plants didn't go in the compost.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #44 on: 30 September, 2017, 10:02:26 pm »
tom's still cropping but reaching their end.  Cucumbers still have half a dozen or so small fruit on them.

Chard tends to go on through the winter in the sheltered veg plot.  Beans, courgettes etc need diging up and composting. Maybe tomorrow
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens