Author Topic: 12th July - Enigma collection day - Polegate, East Sussex  (Read 12947 times)

Re: 12th July - Enigma collection day - Polegate, East Sussex
« Reply #75 on: 13 July, 2008, 09:04:27 am »
Once I had the tube changed I did a Dave and put little teeny weeny bit more air in it: blew the ass clean out of it; every bird and animal within a mile ran for cover.

Actually, reflecting on this (as I do  ;D ), it would only have been emus and such that ran. The rest of the birds probably flew.

Pete

« Reply #76 on: 13 July, 2008, 03:09:47 pm »
indeed it does and I do; and this year Cob Lane is but the beginning of a veritable feast of lovely lanes on the 1AAA Hillier; think Cherry Deaks Bishopstone and Pickwell; plus Slough Green and that nasty back up to Chailey Heritage (which featured on last year's FNRTTC to Cuckmere Haven) at the end  ;)

Hills are your Friend  :)
Deaks, Bishopstone and Pickwell Lanes, I know well: indeed I often take in those last two on my lunchtime spin from work.  On Bishopstone, one hazard to watch out for is peacocks in the road  :o.... Buncton Lane is the one I then go down, and it's a hairy descent of bad cambers, potholes, and gravel...

And my son is currently commuting via Deaks to Crawley, both ways.

By the nasty back of Chailey Heritage I take it you mean Warrs Hill - ugh!  However, I did beat another cyclist up it last year - a rare event for me!

Pete

« Reply #77 on: 13 July, 2008, 03:12:19 pm »
Sergeant Pluck - just remembering (damn these name changes!) - weren't you one of the guys I led astray directed via the scenic route, Cuckmere to Polegate after a FNRTC last year?  In which case you must be well used to my misleading erratic imaginative route-planning tips by now.... ;D

Dave

« Reply #78 on: 13 July, 2008, 05:53:57 pm »
Once I had the tube changed I did a Dave and put little teeny weeny bit more air in it: blew the ass clean out of it; every bird and animal within a mile ran for cover.

:D

Here's where we went:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Enigma120708

Hmm. That's got the makings of a FNRttC route for the more hillophilic rider. Bexhill/Hastings for breakfast then train home...

« Reply #79 on: 13 July, 2008, 10:05:10 pm »
Sergeant Pluck - just remembering (damn these name changes!) - weren't you one of the guys I led astray directed via the scenic route, Cuckmere to Polegate after a FNRTC last year?  In which case you must be well used to my misleading erratic imaginative route-planning tips by now.... ;D

It was indeed  :)

You picked a great set of lanes.

« Reply #80 on: 13 July, 2008, 10:14:41 pm »
You picked a great set of lanes.

Seconded

« Reply #81 on: 19 October, 2008, 01:50:16 pm »
Hmm. That's got the makings of a FNRttC route for the more hillophilic rider

Thread resurrection.

It would indeed Dave. I'm not sure what could be done about a half way food stop though. And Croydon would be a nightmare with a big group.

I'm thinking of modifying the route for a London to south coast forum day ride.

« Reply #82 on: 19 October, 2008, 09:28:27 pm »
Hmm. That's got the makings of a FNRttC route for the more hillophilic rider

Thread resurrection.

It would indeed Dave. I'm not sure what could be done about a half way food stop though. And Croydon would be a nightmare with a big group.

I'm thinking of modifying the route for a London to south coast forum day ride.
Yes, yes, yes - a day ride, please. :) My mind and body can't cope with night riding, and I would love to do this route again.

« Reply #83 on: 19 October, 2008, 09:47:50 pm »
Will do. It's lovely down there. I fancy lunch in that same pub we went to back then.

Let me work on it.

It'll be an early-ish start (i.e. 8 or so) from Londinium. Will propose dates later in the week.

What about Saturday November 1st? Pending checking train availability etc.

Lights will be required.

It was a tough enough ride that day (in terms of thinking what it would be loike on an Autumn day) but at least going in the other direction we will go down Chalkpit Lane rather than up it. And we will get the towny bits done first   :)

I'm looking forward to it already.

I'll start a new thread on it (not tonight) once I have looked at trains, engineering works etc.

« Reply #84 on: 19 October, 2008, 11:07:11 pm »
Sounds good to me.  :)

« Reply #85 on: 19 October, 2008, 11:12:20 pm »
Here's another eager bunny.... dates / Honda MOT's - pending....
Make your arrangements.
I'll work around them.

« Reply #86 on: 19 October, 2008, 11:22:53 pm »
Excellent!

As I say I'll start a new thread nearer the time.

This time we'll find out what the UFO is.

PS: Dave, you'd like this route.

Dave

« Reply #87 on: 20 October, 2008, 11:27:44 am »
Sounds good. I'll be there.