Author Topic: AUK DOES THE CROSS WALES WALK  (Read 2289 times)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
AUK DOES THE CROSS WALES WALK
« on: 26 September, 2011, 09:40:36 pm »
I make no apologies for injecting a 'cross-endurance' event but as many of you will know me, I hope you will understand:

My yacf name of 3peaker is deliberate because ‘I started life as a mountaineer’ and in 1980 set a 3 (National) Peaks record running the peaks and cycling between.  Earlier, in 1971, I walked The Cambrian Way, a 270 mile mountainous walk between Cardiff and Conway. Well, 40 years later, I am re-visiting the Cambrian Way and as at Mon 26 Sep, had completed 207 miles, though my gps says 243m. Comfy in Barmouth, with 4 days remaining (hope), having booked accom for the next 3 nights.
But this crossing of Wales is proving a lot different. In 1971, I backpacked carrying all my food and was able to camp out when dusk fell, covering 24miles daily.  This time I am using B&Bs, so need to plan my day’s walk for accommodation. I am carrying bivvy gear to cover emergency or campsites. But my pack is about 40lbs and I am planning to walk approx 16miles a day.  Also, the environment is not as kind.  I seem to remember travelling fast in generally dry weather.  Currently, I am wearing my rainwear daily and experiencing wet feet.   I just hope I can maintain steady 16miles daily and can achieve the bigger mountains without weather delays (though I think my body would like a day off! – ½ day in Barmouth wonderful). For those familiar with the BCM600, the Kings YH Fire Exit makes an emergency shelter, when they are closed Sun and Mon!

How do you fancy supporting me?  Between my walks, I served 29 yrs in the Royal Air Force. To recognise this, I have decided to support HELP for HEROES.  You can read about my 1971 walk on the Cambrian Way website.  You can sponsor me directly by following my H4H url link:

http://www.bmycharity.com/CambrianWayReVisited.

Many thanks

SteveP

SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Re: AUK DOES THE CROSS WALES WALK
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2011, 05:09:59 am »
Steve, a brilliant walk to undertake! I hope the last (and possibly best) bits go well.

(Just discovered this impressive piece of history:

"FIRST PERSON TO DO THE Bob Graham Round SOLO        Stephen Poulton. 21-6-75. 23 hrs. 27mins."

A good background for Audaxing! )

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2011, 06:20:08 am »
I thought you'd been a bit quiet!

Great adventure and for a great cause.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2011, 07:14:00 pm »
I make no apologies for injecting a 'cross-endurance' event but as many of you will know me, I hope you will understand:
No problem; I find this sort of thing much more interesting than Triathlons  :thumbsup:

My yacf name of 3peaker is deliberate because ‘I started life as a mountaineer’ and in 1980 set a 3 (National) Peaks record running the peaks and cycling between.
Go on then - what was the figure you set then?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2011, 02:03:32 am »
3 Peaks Sea to Sea in 41hr 51min. I had a full vehicle support team and new Peugeot racing (only 531db) bike on loan.

More to the Point, I am now back home after a hard but super finale. Here is my Update:

Day 7: As at Mon 19 Sep evening safely in Llandovery
Day 8: Tue 20 Sep: Ty’n-y-cornel YH. Technically a road and valley leg of 15m but I took a wrong lane and added 2.4m and lost 1½ of my safety time.  Final ½ hr was in strong after-dusk, just able to continue without a torch to retain night-vision. 
Day 9: Wed 21 Sep: YH to Claeddu Bothy after 16.8 miler. Very basic but dry and comfy
Day 10: Thur 22 Sep: To Ponterwyd after 16.9 mile day. Comfort at the George Borrow Hotel.
Day 11: Fri 23 Sep: To Dylife over Plumlumon.  Super day in good weather.  Much dryer underfoot 16.8m on gps.
Day 12: Sat 24 Sep: To Dinas Mawddwy. An early start for a planned 22 miler but actual 25. Dry till 3pm then light rain and cloud. 7000ft climbing!
Day 13: Sun 25 Sep: Hard going over the Maesglas range and then Cader Idris in strong winds. Rather than continue to Barmouth descended to Kings YH (17m) to find closed. Bivvied on Fire Escape (dry).
Day 14: Mon 26 Sep: Despite no Bed, no regrets on Kings decision. Six mile walk to Barmouth absolute gem for views and in perfect weather.  Accom pricey but found ex B&B for £28. Well set to recover for Rhinogs 20 mile tomorrow.
Day 15: Tues 27 Sep: Having pre-booked accom to end of CW had to clear Rhinogs. Weather perfect. Pace slow because of rugged terrain. Benighted, so bivvied on mountain.
Day 16: Wed 28 Sep: Took 4hrs to make Maentwrog. Refreshed in Hotel. Noon start for Moelwyns and Cnicht. Perfect weather. Made final road just in time after dusk. Hostel meal. On schedule for final 2 days crossing the big peaks.
Day 17: Thurs 29 Sep: Memorable 9hr day in superb weather and spectacular views. Snowdon to Pen-y-pas, then Glyders to Idwal Cottage YH. On schedule to complete tomorrow.
Day 18: Fri 30 Sep: Completed!!! Early start for over 18miles across the Carneddau. Strong wind but clear and sunny. Really enjoyed the feeling of completion as the N Welsh coast came into view. Conway Mt superb final peak to finish at Castle near 7pm.

I hope that inspires folk to visit the link to support HELP for HEROES:

http://www.bmycharity.com/CambrianWayReVisited

SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #5 on: 03 October, 2011, 07:55:32 am »
Excellent!

(It did me good just thinking about those places.)