Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 286727 times)

Davef

Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #1225 on: 26 March, 2021, 03:20:10 pm »
It's basically an SUV with even worse interior space limitations but without the ride height and useful ground clearance.  I imagine they fly out of the Jag showrooms, though.
More likely to leave showroom rolling slowly backwards

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1226 on: 26 May, 2021, 04:19:21 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1227 on: 30 May, 2021, 12:02:50 am »
Didn't a little child drown in Wales in similar, tragic circumstances, a few years ago?

ETA https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/kiara-moore-death-inquest-wales-car-roll-river-handbrake-cardigan-a8654776.html

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #1228 on: 01 June, 2021, 08:11:53 am »
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #1229 on: 11 June, 2021, 10:14:03 pm »
Just caught up on the Dauphine. I didn't see that as a particular issue; it's normal for the commissaires to get dropped at the finish line so they can finalise the results, and their car to park there to do the drop. The bike should have been expecting that, and only did a slight weave to give clearance.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1230 on: 11 June, 2021, 10:23:11 pm »
So the rider should've had a more intelligent bike.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1231 on: 12 June, 2021, 04:48:39 pm »
Nicked from Twitter.
Number plate amost achieves nominative determinism.
I presume this is Sheffield.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1232 on: 20 June, 2021, 09:58:51 am »
Most of these show everyday parking on estates not built for 2 or 3 car families, but the last one is creative.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/19384544.bad-parking-swindon-driving-readers-wall/#gallery14
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1233 on: 20 June, 2021, 12:52:59 pm »
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #1234 on: 20 June, 2021, 04:45:32 pm »
Impressive. Guessing it went in from next door before the new fence was erected? Or a Dirk Gently style doorway was opened to allow it through.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1235 on: 20 June, 2021, 07:40:27 pm »
And now it probably scores slightly lower as practical transport than the abandoned washing machine next door.  :D

« Reply #1236 on: 20 June, 2021, 09:32:47 pm »
And now it probably scores slightly lower as practical transport than the abandoned washing machine next door.  :D

Having owned both devices in the past, I'd much rather keep the washing machine for both transport and accommodation.

ian

« Reply #1237 on: 21 June, 2021, 04:46:57 pm »
Most of these show everyday parking on estates not built for 2 or 3 car families, but the last one is creative.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/19384544.bad-parking-swindon-driving-readers-wall/#gallery14

I'm minded that the artist's rendering in the marketing blurb of all new estates (the one's that are full of lie because they're the usual shitty little suburban fuckhutches) should be legally obliged to include all the cars and, for the classier ones, the fifteen council-mandated bins in various states of overflow.

« Reply #1238 on: 21 June, 2021, 05:18:36 pm »

I'm minded that the artist's rendering in the marketing blurb of all new estates (the one's that are full of lie because they're the usual shitty little suburban fuckhutches) should be legally obliged to include all the cars and, for the classier ones, the fifteen council-mandated bins in various states of overflow.

There are three issues here:

1 the rise of multi car households, in particular the expectation of teenagers that they will get a car when they turn 17.
2 Planning regulations that set the minimum number of parking spaces per household on new developments often at 1 space for 1-2 bed flats and 2 spaces for houses of 2-4 rooms. Often counting the garages as parking spaces.
3 the reduction in the physical size of rooms compared to properties of the 60's and 70's which means there is less storage built into the properties or space for such storage. This leads to the use of the garages as overflow storage for all the TPoC. See also new build roof trusses which do not accommodate the use of lofts for storage.

This leads to designated parking spaces (garages) not being used for parking and multiple cars being parked on the street instead.

ian

« Reply #1239 on: 22 June, 2021, 09:34:56 pm »
I get why it is (as the once-upon-a-time director of the management company of a small South London newbuild estate), and it really should be (and could easily be) stopped, but for realism I still think they should be forced to portray them as they will be, not the occasional car on the driveway, cheerful mums pushing prams, and happy children playing. It should be cars and vans dumped on every surface like a god had a tantrum and emptied out his toy box, sour-faced ASBO mums twenty going on sixty with a cigarette in one hand dragging her mediocre kids around an upturned wheelie bin spilling out soiled nappies by a shiny pavement-parked Range Rover. The trees will be dead and looking all the happier for it and the render flaking like an advanced skin condition. Hieronymous Bosch does middle England.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1240 on: 22 June, 2021, 10:01:48 pm »
Hieronymus Bosch would have made it far more interesting than that.

ian

« Reply #1241 on: 23 June, 2021, 05:11:43 pm »
I don't know, the true horror is in the banality.

That said, the time the gates broke on our estate and I wasn't there to free everyone. 28 Days Later? Pah, this was 28 Minutes Later.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1242 on: 23 June, 2021, 05:56:02 pm »
Also, the increasing width and height of cars mean they no longer fit into a garage that hasn't increased in standard size since the Austin Seven.  SUVs and crossovers don't fit under the door and most other cars need the wing mirrors folded before you even think about trying it.  Then you might need to climb out through the sunroof.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #1243 on: 23 June, 2021, 07:52:10 pm »
I'm all for parents who have another child and rather than worry about a bedroom for them make them sleep on the pavement outside.

In my early days of the estate despot, people would genuinely ask if they could have an extra parking space. There's a fundamental misunderstanding about space. What you see is what you have, it is not within my power to manufacture more space. Why buy a house with one parking space if you have three cars? Did it not occur to you? Apparently, it doesn't. The best one was the neighbour who told me that 'the estate agents said it would be OK.'

You can solve a lot of parking problems using strategically placed planters with trees in them.

ian

« Reply #1244 on: 24 June, 2021, 08:07:53 pm »
The stupid Audi that got double ticketed was there again last night, on the double-yellows and blocking the entire pavement. It would be so unfortunate if he (or she) got another ticket, wouldn't it?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1245 on: 24 June, 2021, 10:25:46 pm »
Heehee
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1246 on: 24 June, 2021, 11:36:24 pm »
Be a shame if some random member of the public with a highly-developed sense of civic duty were to inform The Authorities…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #1247 on: 25 June, 2021, 08:20:30 pm »
Well, it's the same guy who harangued me the other week when I was unsympathetic to his parking plight, so he's received at least three parking tickets in the last couple of weeks that I've seen. I didn't go down there today, so I've no idea if he got another. It must be getting expensive. Honestly, you'd have to try hard to park in a more twatty manner – blocking the entire pavement on double yellows at a t-junction.

« Reply #1248 on: 09 July, 2021, 09:55:42 am »
On the road where I live.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1249 on: 11 August, 2021, 09:06:19 pm »
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit