Author Topic: A ride for the taller gentleman  (Read 6918 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
A ride for the taller gentleman
« on: 09 July, 2008, 07:48:53 pm »
I got the option to get a bike on the Get a tax free bike for work | CYCLESCHEME and therefore was thinking about getting a folder.

I would like to be able to ride it for longer rides and therefore got my eyes on the Dahon Speed Pro TT (Folding Bicycles and Folding Bicycle Accessories by Dahon: Speed Pro TT).

I went into Condor today, the only place where I can find it in store to try it out. Dahon states that the bike suits a person up to 6'4" and with me being 6'4" (inside leg around the 34") it pretty much looked like the bike would be too small for me. I tried to sit on it but that is always different from riding it, so I'm not sure if the bike is suited for me. Condor did call up someone to find out if Dahon make a longer seat post, the word was a no.

So would I fit the bike with the normal seat post, since it says on the box it suits a 6'4" person. Have any of the panel ridden a folder that suits a 6'4"person but are taller than the requirement.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Re: A ride for the taller gentleman
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:13:26 pm »
I'm 6'2" and have the seatpost on my dahon speed (not the TT) right on the limit. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:20:27 pm »
That's a verrrry kewl folder! 8)
Getting there...

Fi

« Reply #3 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:27:28 pm »
There's been discussions before about Bromptons and distances, and you'd probably not like the riding position.  However, my inside crutch to floor leg length is 34 and I have spare inches on the Brompton telescopic seatpost when it's set for me.  If you're coming down with  P next week you could have a go on it.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:44:05 pm »
A Brompton S-type with telescopic (not extended) seatpost would probably fit OK.  They're poorly specified compared to Dahons, but are made in the UK and retain their value very well.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2008, 09:08:49 pm »
You're welcome to come round and try my Brompton, which also has a telscopic seatpost.

There's plenty of unused extension on it. But having the telescopic post means that I can leave the top section extended all the time and only fold the main seatpost. That way when I unfold the bike the saddle is at the correct height for me.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:24:51 pm »
Thanks Fi I would like a go next week to see how it feels. Just have to figure out if the Brompton telescopic post fits the Dahon Speed Pro. Zipperhead are you home tomorrow afternoon ?

Dahon says : The seat post is made out of 2014 aluminum in a SuperOversize 34mm diameter for a strength to weight ratio that can’t be beat.

Bromton says : well I dunno as I can only find the length not the diameter.

Fi

« Reply #7 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:27:50 pm »
The post for a Brompton has a lip at the bottom to stop it coming right out of the top of the seat post; you get it in by poking it up from underneath. I'm not sure how the Dahon works.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2008, 06:37:11 am »
you get it in by poking it up from underneath.

Fnarr!  Fnarr!  Woo-hoo!  Yak! Yak!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Fi

« Reply #9 on: 10 July, 2008, 10:59:16 am »
You not feeling quite the thing Zilla?

;)

Zipperhead

« Reply #10 on: 10 July, 2008, 01:28:28 pm »
Thanks Fi I would like a go next week to see how it feels. Just have to figure out if the Brompton telescopic post fits the Dahon Speed Pro. Zipperhead are you home tomorrow afternoon ?

Sadly I'll be at work. But you're welcome to come and borrow my brommie

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:53:03 am »
Any one know the diameter of the Brompton expendable seat post ?

The only thing I could find is that it is 31.8mm (only one site stated that), if that is right is that too much of a gap to shim since the Dahon seat post diameter is 34mm ?

I really got my eyes on this bike, and a small seat post issue isn't going to stop me :)

bikenerd

« Reply #12 on: 12 July, 2008, 11:03:25 am »
The only thing I could find is that it is 31.8mm (only one site stated that), if that is right is that too much of a gap to shim since the Dahon seat post diameter is 34mm ?

I use a shim on my Moulton APB to take the seat post size from 34.8mm to 27.2mm, so it is possible to shim that far.
Do you know anyone with a metal lathe?  They should be able to make you one in about 10 minutes! :)
Here are the shims at SJS cycles

Zipperhead

« Reply #13 on: 12 July, 2008, 11:11:48 am »
Any one know the diameter of the Brompton expendable seat post ?

I've just measured mine, the main seatpost is 31.8mm, the extendable section is 26.65mm

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #14 on: 12 July, 2008, 11:16:37 am »
Thanks, I think that I then could go and get the Dahon and then the Brompton extendable and I should be ok to ride, or am I on a totally wrong donkey  :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #15 on: 21 July, 2008, 08:05:39 pm »
I asked over on the forum on Dahon website and found out that I can get a telescopic seat post that would fit the Dahon. And I can add a longer seat post on the top part since it is the "standard" 27.2mm if I so need.

Untitled Document

So I will go in tomorrow and put my order in :)