Linked Events

• Not quite not the diamond jubilee campong weekend: 18 May, 2012 - 20 May, 2012

Author Topic: 18th - 20th May: Not Quite The Not The Diamond Jubilee Camping Weekend  (Read 33381 times)

AWL and I were supping a pint and eating sandwiches in the Green Man in Long Itchington and we hatched an idea for a camping weekend in 2012.   We're looking at the middle of May, Friday 18th to Sunday 20th to be precise.

Please give the web site a browse and come back with any questions on the thread for all to see and comment upon.

To tell you how hospitable our landlord is, I rolled up at about 11:55.  He was just coming out.   He opened up for us.   Just as we were leaving later I discovered that he normally does not open for weekday lunch.   Not only did we get beer but he made us sandwiches too as well as bringing some gratis nachos and tomato dip.   Four real ales on the tap:  London Pride, Tribute, Black Sheep Bitter and Pedigree.  I sampled the Tribute and the Black Sheep and both were in excellent condition.       

Some tasters:

The landlord says that he might come to some arrangement on the £8 a night for a 'party'.

There are six, yes, SIX real ale pubs in Long Itchington.

The landlord can do basic brekkies but within walking distance is the Long Itchington Diner and within wheel distance is Hilltop Farm at Hunningham for the more upmarket breakfast (and lunches though you may need to book).

There are only toilets at the pub but the local community centre can usually help with showers for a small charge.   We can investigate this.

Every Friday evening a fish 'n chip van plies his trade outside the pub.   You can buy your fish supper and eat it in the pub if you wish.

AWL and I already have some ideas for rides on the Saturday.   I'll happily lead a group to Cannons Ashby (NT place) where the cafe is excellent and countryside splendid there and back.   AWL was thinking perhaps Warwick or even a trip to Hook Norton.   One never knows what advance planning might throw up.

Draycote water is only about 7 miles away and is a great place for a relaxing picnic and a short ride if that's your bag.

The field is virtually flat and can take about 80 tents so says the landlord.   Caravans can use the field too (Jogler).   There are no electric hookups.

There has been a large bonfire in the field so within reason I suspect he'd let us have a camp fire if we wanted.  We would need to ask.   There is a small river at the foot of the field so if we gather some fire buckets I guess all would be well. 

It is in the middle of the village quite close to houses so we would need to be considerate wrt late night noise.

Easily reached by bicycle from Rugby, Leamington or Warwick.   I would be happy to lead a Rugby posse if required.

<modify>

Perhaps those interested could email me at polarbearatyacf@gmail.com.   Title your email camping then your YACF name, i.e.  camping a warwickshire lad. and tell me in the email numbers, and other pertinent details such as tent / caravan / campervan, etc.    :)

</modify>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
A camping weekend within cycleable distance?  And barakta's just got a shiny new touring trike?  I think we are...   :thumbsup:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
The concept of meeting and cycling appeals - but I shall enjoy the comfort of my own bed, it being not too far to ride there and back on a daily basis

The village is amazing with the pubs - one of our regular Weds clubs runs is to the Harvester (not THAT sort of Harvester - a trad pub called by that name)

In the diary.

Rob

EDIT : It's also the CTC Heart of England Audax on Saturday 19 May 2012 - details will be at  www.ctc-heartofengland.org.uk  in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Ooh goody.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

robgul

Ooh goody.

Ah - entering the Audax then are we ?  ;D ;D ;D

Rob

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
er, no.   ::-)
The ride from Bournville will be quite enough, thank you.

Is that also the service in Meriden for the "Unknown Cylist" weekend?  If so I'll probably attend that on the way home.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

jogler

• mojo operandi

The field is virtually flat and can take about 80 tents so says the landlord.   Caravans can use the field too (Jogler).    There are no electric hookups.

I'm flattered that I'm taken into consideration.Thankyou.
I think the cakeavan may be out of hibernation by then.It's a long way off* but Marj & I are "maybe".

*put it on the Calandar please otherwise I'll forget

robgul

er, no.   ::-)
The ride from Bournville will be quite enough, thank you.

Is that also the service in Meriden for the "Unknown Cylist" weekend?  If so I'll probably attend that on the way home.

It is - although I'm not sure at the moment what's happening with the rest of the "rally weekend" - interest has dwindled somewhat.

Rob

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
There's a staircase of locks on the Grand Onion Canal only a mile away. :thumbsup:

A self-plotted route from Chez Rower40 to the centre of Long Itchington is not only a manageable 88.8 km, but also goes within a gnat's crotchet of Chez Diver300 at about the halfway point.

The route then skirts the suburbs of Nuneaton, which, as any fule kno, is reachable from all compass points by rail.  Thereafter no great conurbations, but a smattering of B and A roads.

I may well get the train home again from Leamington Spa, even if it means dangly bike-spaces.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

There's an off-road route all the way into Leamington (& Warwick & Brum) along the old railway line, now  called the Offchurch Greenway and the Grand Union. I went along the rather less traversed stretch today which was quite a muddy adventure on the 25mm tyres on the Pompino. The garden hose will have to be got out of the shed tomorrow!

Rather strangely, my internet access is playing up at the moment (conversely to a few weeks ago, I can access YACF, but nowt else!), but do a search for the Long Itchington Beer Festival and you should be able to see all six of the pubs in the village. We'll be there shortly after the festival. It's just too busy that weekend for a trip.

Chapeau to the bikers who will be there camping in the Green Man's garden the first weekend in january!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
May well be interested (with or without Mrs Julesh and Luca the annoying 6 year old  O:-)
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

clarion

• Tyke
Nah, we hate camping. ;)
Getting there...

Here's the website for the beer festival...

The Green Man's my favourite, although the Harvester is like stepping back to the 70s.

I should add that as well as the Offchurch Highway route to LI, you can also take the canal all the way to the Two Boats.

Oh, and there might be some cycling, as well... :-)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Oh yep......
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Nah, we hate camping. ;)

Ba......    Oh I see   :D 

Here's the website for the beer festival...

The Green Man's my favourite, although the Harvester is like stepping back to the 70s.

I should add that as well as the Offchurch Highway route to LI, you can also take the canal all the way to the Two Boats.

Oh, and there might be some cycling, as well... :-)

And, if you happen to carry on beyond The Two Boats on the towpath it's not very long before you encounter more pubs.  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
This sounds like a must-do. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jogler

• mojo operandi
Nah, we hate camping. ;)

but you are so good at camping  ;D

That's Bryan Chapman weekend..

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
Is it okay if one isn't from the Midlands, and doesn't have a tent (am willing to buy one though)?

Anybody welcome  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
You may have to provide your own earwigs, though...   ;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It's a lovely idea. I've no idea if I'll be there - I'll see what happens with tents, money, places and people - but I'm happy just reading about it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

This sounds like fun.  I have no idea whether I'll be able to make it-that's like 6 months away, but I love the idea!

I'm a rubbish camper and reasonably slow cyclist, but up for a bit of fun!   ;D

corshamjim

I'm sorely tempted I have to say.  Will need to make quite a long weekend of it if I'm going to cycle from home though.  The venue looks great.  :thumbsup: