Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 127018 times)

Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #75 on: 12 January, 2012, 10:58:42 pm »
At the top of the Solaise area in Val is a run called 3000, it's got huge moguls and a narrow section usually, and then a steep section that's often moguled as well. That's easy compared to the run you can do if you go through the rarely opened Tunnel near the top of 3000. Good practice for survival skiing. We had a practice run before suggesting it to friends, you'd only do it to complete the set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3uFDhBQj7Q

Jakob

« Reply #76 on: 12 January, 2012, 10:59:13 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1d9oSCoCxIc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/1d9oSCoCxIc&rel=1</a>
:)

« Reply #77 on: 12 January, 2012, 11:04:25 pm »
At the top of the Solaise area in Val is a run called 3000, it's got huge moguls and a narrow section usually, and then a steep section that's often moguled as well. That's easy compared to the run you can do if you go through the rarely opened Tunnel near the top of 3000. Good practice for survival skiing. We had a practice run before suggesting it to friends, you'd only do it to complete the set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3uFDhBQj7Q

I did that once -never again!  I think I managed two turns, which were really swings round my pole then stop again!  The rest was side slipping, following a snowplough through the tunnel!

« Reply #78 on: 12 January, 2012, 11:31:35 pm »
3000 is one of two lifts forbidden for snowboards in the Espace Killy, you sometimes see the odd boarder on Signal, but I've never seen one on 3000.

« Reply #79 on: 13 January, 2012, 12:30:04 am »
It looks like next week could provide the best alpine skiing conditions for years, if not decades.  High pressure moving in to provide still, sunny weather on top of the repeated dumps they've just had.   This little 7 week old fellow I'm looking at now is more than adequate compensation for precluding me skiing for quite a while, but I am a little gutted I can't get out to Val.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #80 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:25:41 am »
I've never seen the tunnel open the few times I've been so I think it is now probably the only black I've not skied in Val.

When I skied 3000, I was with my ski buddy and a group of dirty crusty old men from the chalet we were staying in. Apparently I squealed on every turn. I won't tell you what comments were made..... ::-) ;D

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #81 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:32:20 am »
Having just watched ESL's video, I'm glad it's always closed!!!!

« Reply #82 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:47:20 am »
Miss Ham reports perfect skiing at the moment in Val (yes, she's back again with her uni) if anything a little too much sun ..... (melting snow)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #83 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:49:44 am »
I always thought the hardest part of 3000 was the drag lift. Skiers desperate to find flatter snow create equally large moguls on the drag path.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #84 on: 13 January, 2012, 03:26:22 pm »
It looks like next week could provide the best alpine skiing conditions for years, if not decades.  High pressure moving in to provide still, sunny weather on top of the repeated dumps they've just had.

Let's hope so, we're away tomorrow  :thumbsup:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #85 on: 13 January, 2012, 06:35:27 pm »
I believe the appropiate response is:

Git.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #86 on: 13 January, 2012, 07:02:46 pm »
And double git :)

Jakob

« Reply #87 on: 14 January, 2012, 11:22:16 am »
It's puking with snow in downtown Vancouver right now...which means that the local mountains will awesome tomorrow...

Jakob

« Reply #88 on: 15 January, 2012, 06:33:21 am »
In fact, they got 17cm overnight. With the morning being busy and having a full day at Whistler tomorrow anyway, I decided just to go up to Cypress Mountain in the evening (when it's cheapest anyway) and do a handful of runs. I've also been struggling a bit with the setup of my board after I had a full tune-up done (base-grind, etc) and wanted to make sure that I now had the edges dialed in. The green runs were in pretty good condition and even the side-hits werent too crusty/icy. The blue runs were not too great, with the slope allowing the fresh snow to be scraped off, but the black runs had seen relatively little traffic and were pretty good.
Turned out that the the skychair (the highest lift) had been closed most of the day and with the sky having cleared, there was still stashes to be found in the unlit tree-runs.

Not a bad way to spend a Saturday evening :)

Jakob

« Reply #89 on: 16 January, 2012, 08:05:57 am »
Our driver overslept and we never made it to Whistler :(..not too big a loss, as they only got a little fresh snow and much more is forecast for next weekend.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #90 on: 16 January, 2012, 03:30:00 pm »
No powder here whatsoever :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Feanor

« Reply #91 on: 16 January, 2012, 09:37:38 pm »
Never mind, Mrs. P.
At least you won't loose a ski  :demon:

Stay high and perfect your carves on the groomers.
Looking for clean-cut tracks with no snow-flurries indicating side-slipping.
The kids love blue / red runs in good condition, because they can blast them like they did in race training.   I try to keep up.  Sometimes I mange.
Kick off from the edge of the piste to find what there is.
Pretend the piste markers are slalom poles. ( but not too much: don't x-block them, they are not bendy poles and it will hurt! )

Have fun.

R

Jakob

« Reply #92 on: 16 January, 2012, 11:25:04 pm »
Hit the terrain park!

Forecast for Whistler this week:

;D ;D ;D

I know where I'll be next weekend :)

Jakob

« Reply #93 on: 16 January, 2012, 11:26:02 pm »
Oh and to contrast the earlier skier video

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=34177578&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=34177578&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

:D

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #94 on: 20 January, 2012, 01:06:50 pm »
Only a week to go before I head off.  Looking at www.snow-forecast.com it seems the ample snow depth at resort level (150cm almost anywhere in the Haute Savoie) will be topped up by another 50cm in the next week.  ;D

Feanor

« Reply #95 on: 21 January, 2012, 12:15:05 pm »
Oh Dear.

I appear to have accidentally bought a new pair of skis, to replace the one I lost in deep powder  ;D

Went into Tiso to buy some minor trinkets and noticed the skis I was looking for were discounted at £160 off, and then my discount card gave me a further 10% off.

Oh, here's how to grind with style:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QlmTWfmRJbw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/QlmTWfmRJbw&rel=1</a>

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #96 on: 21 January, 2012, 12:46:12 pm »
Our arrival back home is going to be somewhat delayed by the dump of new snow that appeared, just as we're leaving, humph.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #97 on: 21 January, 2012, 12:48:32 pm »
<Jesse's Diets> Mostly this week, I are bin doin' moguls, laats an' laats of 'em <etc >

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #98 on: 22 January, 2012, 02:36:34 pm »

Jakob

« Reply #99 on: 23 January, 2012, 07:59:55 am »
Tried to get up Whistler on Saturday, but the roads were treacherous (black ice) and after seeing 3 accidents, I turned around, despite knowing that some of the best snow of the year was waiting. (Even with winter tires,  it was very marginal)
It was supposed to be too warm for the local mountains to be worthwhile, but the temperature dropped and I headed up there with a friend this afternoon and it was awesome. Sure, it wasn't 'dry' powder, but because the weather (and the roads) had been pretty bad, there was no people on the mountain and one side of it was closed due to wind. The other side was pretty good, but then they opened the main side and we had nighttime 'first tracks' on most of the runs.

Awesome finish to a pretty crappy weekend.