Author Topic: 2.8% real ales  (Read 5287 times)

Julian

• samoture
2.8% real ales
« on: 04 March, 2012, 10:00:08 pm »
I'm currently drinking "Tolly Cobold" Tolly English Ale.  A closer inspection reveals that it is in fact Greene King in disguise. 

This is the second of the two experimental 2.8% real ales I have (the new regulations mean that beers below 2.9% get a 50% reduction in duty payable, and as if by magic, these appear).  The other was Fuller's Mighty Atom (also 2.8%).  We spotted them in the supermarket when Charlotte was getting her beer-free beer.  In theory they should be a good one to drink on a work night, or to have a few of with a film, without finishing the film and suddenly standing up and realising you're accidentally wankered again.  ;D

The Mighty Atom was okay.  Fullers' website promise that it has a "rich, light caramel character, while a heady dose of five different hops brings in floral grapefruit and plum notes, with a spicy overtone" - although it looks the part, any taste it may have had was overpowered by the slightly too-sweet, metallic tang that an alcohol-free beer has.  Barely any hops to speak of, no overtones, spicy or otherwise.  It wasn't unpleasant but it didn't have the depth of flavour that a decent beer should. 

I was hoping that I'd prefer the Fullers, but the Tolly is actually rather good.  It's by no means going to work its way into my top ten, but it's on the "would drink again" list.  It's a fairly decent pale ale.  Someone has reviewed it here and said

a good looking beer, amber with brownish hues nice white head that sticks.

Distinct aroma deep hops and that old GK yeasty note

quite a deep rich flavour for such a low grav beer

Malts start the proceedings hops follow warming the palate nicely then the GK yeast taste rushes in with some peppery bitterness.

Nice mouthfeel and low carbonation brings together a better than expected beer.

Alright, I give it six thumbs up.

Apart from the 'nice white head' part - there's barely any head at all - that's pretty accurate.  I have no idea whether the person who wrote it had an interest in the product or not, but I'd broadly agree with it.  Definitely better than expected (mind you, my expectations were low, and hadn't risen after the Mighty Atom.)

It sounds as though the new tax regulations are going to see the onset of more 2.8% beers, in which case I think I would be inclined to make these a more regular tipple and have a stronger one every now and then.  Anybody else tried them?

Re: 2.8% real ales
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2012, 10:03:37 pm »
Our local had one on tap for a bit, can't remember which. Really nice for the first 2/3 of the pint but then a bit, um, weak....  Didn't have a second.

« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2012, 10:05:12 pm »
How are you supposed to get pissed on that?  :P

Tolly Cobblers was always disgusting (well it was 20 years ago) and was always avoided round these parts....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2012, 10:06:46 pm »
Not yet, but I will.

The original Tolly Cobbold beers were brewed in Ipswich and the brewery closed when Ridleys took them over. Then Greene King did the same to Ridleys.

I never thought a lot of the Tolly beers when they were brewed in Ipswich and I've never been particularly keen on the output of Bury St. Edmunds.

I've been mostly not drinking beer this year, in an attempt, hitherto successful, to reduce the size of my equator.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2012, 10:10:14 pm »
The original Tolly Cobbold beers were brewed in Ipswich and the brewery closed when Ridleys took them over. Then Greene King did the same to Ridleys.

I think you'll find they were originally brewed in Harwich, but I doubt your memory goes as far back as the 18th century  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2012, 10:13:31 pm »
It's only the Tolly Cobold name that's been annexed, this stuff has nothing to do with Ridleys or the original beers.  It's not entirely dissimilar to the Greene King's normal-strength IPA.

I'm aware of the strength of political feeling surrounding Greene King  :P which is why I was hoping I'd like the Fullers more.  Sadly the Mighty Atom was insufficiently mighty.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »
Wandering off topic (which, I hear, is the new on topic), did anyone hear "The Bottom Line" last night on the wireless? On of the guests was Rooney Anand, CEO at Greene King.  Apparently they don't take over breweries, but if the pubs they buy have breweries attached...
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2012, 10:23:06 pm »
Adnam's Sole Star at 2.7% is superb.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2012, 10:24:03 pm »
My general dislike of GK beers is totally independent from my view of their business practices. I just don't like them very much.

Regarding their acquisition of Ridley and the closing of the Hartford End brewery, my brother informs me that this was by no means a hostile takeover and that the Ridley family did very well out of it. One of the old Ridley's tied pubs, the famous Compasses at Littley Green, beloved of the MEMWNR brigade, is still in the hands of the Ridley family.

If you come and see us some time, Julian, it makes a good day ride from here (round trip about 60 miles) and there's a fair chance you might be able to spill your pint on the odious Simon Heffer, whose local it is.

Edit: The Littley Green Compasses serves its ale gravity drawn, as do several other pubs within relatively easy riding distance of Southend.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2012, 10:30:21 pm »
Simon Heffer exists?  Outside a satirical website?  :o 

I would relish the opportunity to spill beer on him.  Or, more likely, give him a Terribly Withering Look.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 04 March, 2012, 10:32:04 pm »
Simon Heffer exists?  Outside a satirical website?  :o 

I would relish the opportunity to spill beer on him.  Or, more likely, give him a Terribly Withering Look.

I was in there once with Peli & Delthebike and he was there.

I must have told you that he was a pupil at my old school?

Edit: these weak beers, carrying 50% less duty, were made for spilling on other people.  :thumbsup:

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #11 on: 04 March, 2012, 10:35:04 pm »
:D

And so much classier than the old cream pie.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #12 on: 04 March, 2012, 10:39:41 pm »
I thought a cream pie had a totally different meaning.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 04 March, 2012, 11:06:45 pm »
I fear we may have to ask Roger to illuminate that.
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #14 on: 05 March, 2012, 07:42:35 am »
I once met a bloke from Ipswich who had a dog called Tolly, after the beer.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #15 on: 05 March, 2012, 09:08:46 am »

I think you'll find they were originally brewed in Harwich, but I doubt your memory goes as far back as the 18th century  :P
How dare you doubt Wow!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #16 on: 05 March, 2012, 01:09:24 pm »
Welton's Pride & Joy 2.8%, brewed in Horsham.  It has a lot of flavour for a weak beer.  Another good weak beer is Sharp's Cornish Coaster at 2.2%.  I haven't seen it around for years though.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #17 on: 05 March, 2012, 01:26:48 pm »
Can't say I'm a fan of low alcohol beers, and for those that can attend, a listing of what's on offer this coming weekend at the Hove beer festival. Yum-yum. Going on Saturday.

http://www.sussexbeerfestival.co.uk/beers.htm
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 05 March, 2012, 10:50:06 pm »
I've never heard of these, but I'll keep a look out for them. Wasn't someone on here saying that beer has been getting progressively stronger since the early 20th century? In which case these beers might be like what people were drinking back in the 18th century!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #19 on: 05 March, 2012, 10:53:30 pm »
Small beer.

« Reply #20 on: 08 March, 2012, 09:24:02 pm »
I prefer low alcohol bitter. Bitter is a pretty good recovery drink and even better if it's low alcohol. I bought a 4 pack of Asda cheapo bitter when I stayed the night in Carlisle, cycling on my way home from Scotland about 3 years ago. It was about £1 for 4 tins. Certainly not great beer, but for 25p a tin, it was very good. I could guzzle it down. I ended up having some with my breakfast and filling one of my bottles with what I didn't drink that night. I'd drank it by Penrith  ;D.
My £1 would have only bought me one tin of stronger beer, which wouldn't have been as good for what I wanted anyway.
I beleive that beer used to be mostly below 4% anyway. It was sometimes used by time trialists riding 24 hour TTs back in the 60s, so I've been led to believe.
I might drink more beer if there is going to be more low alcohol stuff around.
I've also tried Tesco Value stuff and other cheapo bitters. Again, not great, but I prefer to not get pissed and I don't do much booze as it is.

« Reply #21 on: 09 March, 2012, 08:12:15 pm »
All this 2.8% duty stuff has passed me by, but I did wonder why my usual tipples-of-choice had suddenly shot up in price towards the end of last year, steering me to start brewing my own. I'm trying Marston's 2.8% pale ale at the moment and I'm really not impressed ; gnat's piss as far as I'm concerned (no body and no flavour), but at least there's a bottle to use again for the DIY stuff. (40 pints of 4.2% bitter kegged on Tuesday, starting a 7% Belgian Dubbel ale tomorrow, and once that's done an American hopped 5% IPA from extract. So far, £160 spent, 100 pints in the pipeline - none of which can be drunk for at least a month. Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time!)
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #22 on: 09 March, 2012, 08:15:46 pm »
Aye small beer used to be drunk instead of local contaminated water supplies.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: 09 March, 2012, 08:23:27 pm »
People would get through a gallon a day of the stuff a few hundred years ago.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #24 on: 09 March, 2012, 08:26:48 pm »
I used to brew the odd pint. That seems a tad chere or have I lost the cost plot?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain