Author Topic: BHF Norwich 100 May 27th  (Read 5060 times)

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
BHF Norwich 100 May 27th
« on: 07 March, 2012, 09:10:22 am »
Is anyone thinking of doing this? I fancy it but don't especially want to do it on my own (though I will if need be). If I remember this ride has in the past had some 'interesting' weather...hopefully this year it will be 'interesting' as in 'warm and sunny'. I can dream!

http://bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=317

Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Chris S

Re: BHF Norwich 100 May 27th
« Reply #1 on: 07 March, 2012, 09:13:10 am »
ISTR a couple of years ago, it was 30C which made it tough. Added to which someone had decided it would be a good idea to have the Norwich Half Marathon on, on the same day.

Needless to say, Norfolk very quickly ran out of ambulances when people started keeling over with heatstroke on both events.

I'll see what the committee think about riding it, and whether my stoker is available for a tandem outing.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2012, 09:08:00 am »
I was thinking of the year when it was 5 degrees and people were getting hypothermia instead! Isn't our weather great!!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2012, 09:41:20 am »
Not planning on this but I did the BHF London to South Coast offroad last summer and can really recommend them for the organisation: route well marked and marshalled and plenty of encouragement from the team en-route

« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2012, 09:47:32 am »
I'll see what the committee think about riding it, and whether my stoker is available for a tandem outing.

Diary says No- it's the weekend after the BCM and I'll still be nursing my wounds and catching up on sleep.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2012, 01:25:30 pm »
I did it about 10 years ago and I'm sorry to say I found it really dull. There was also a long stretch on a main road with some ridiculous driving. It's unusual, because other Bike Events rides that I've done have been enjoyable and mainly on pleasant roads (with the exception of London-Windsor which is just an awful route)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2012, 11:24:34 pm »
Not planning on this but I did the BHF London to South Coast offroad last summer and can really recommend them for the organisation: route well marked and marshalled and plenty of encouragement from the team en-route

I did the BHF Cambridge to the Coast (southend) last March.  They've asked me if I want to do this year's - a very clear 'No' from me.  Not well organised at all.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
« Reply #7 on: 15 March, 2012, 08:43:25 am »
Well, I've signed up to do the 50 mile route as 'Team 2ManyCookes' (i.e. my dad!) wanted to do the ride but not the 100. So we might see some YACFers - although whenever we do these rides we tend to turn up late and spend a good hour faffing about before actually going anywhere LOL!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 15 March, 2012, 08:54:08 am »

I did the BHF Cambridge to the Coast (southend) last March.  They've asked me if I want to do this year's - a very clear 'No' from me.  Not well organised at all.

That's interesting. I was thinking of doing that.

I haven't done a ride like this since... before we got this tandem. My son and I did BHF London - Southend on our old tandem. I prefer doing rides like this on the tandem as you get a lot more people talk to you along the way.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #9 on: 15 March, 2012, 08:57:39 am »
Strange. Was also considering do this with 2_Flat _Erics
I seemed to remember Regulator having a moan about the Southend end last year. Anyway, it looks too much pita getting to Cambridge.
Wrong thread really  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 15 March, 2012, 09:01:41 am »
Strange. Was also considering do this with 2_Flat _Erics
I seemed to remember Regulator having a moan about the Southend end last year. Anyway, it looks too much pita getting to Cambridge.
Wrong thread really  ;D

Which one were you thinking of doing? Norwich or Cam to Coast? Going to Cambridge the previous day and camping would be possible, although traipsing back 75 miles with full camping gear would be a tough day.

« Reply #11 on: 15 March, 2012, 09:04:10 am »
Cam to Coast.
Camping would be an option, hadnt thought of that. But that would mean travelling to Cambridge on Friday after work, not so good.

Regulator

« Reply #12 on: 16 March, 2012, 07:49:11 am »
If people are doing the Cam to Coast, I could potentially put one or two up (or provide some  garden space for tents).

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #13 on: 16 March, 2012, 07:54:32 am »
I was planning to do the Norwich ride (the 50 miler) but Mr R has booked us in for other things...

Green Party Councillor

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #14 on: 02 April, 2012, 06:41:58 am »
I have done both the 50 and 100. Both had less than satisfactory weather  :D :D.  The 100 does indeed contain some bad main road work and a b*****d hill ( for east anglia ) just before the half way point.

Of the two, the 50 is the nicer ride.

I might be up for it...undecided at the moment.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #15 on: 11 April, 2012, 12:16:52 pm »
That's a very tempting route, Morrisette.

I can't make the official date because I'm singing in a concert on the 26th and there are no trains to Norwich form this part of the world on the Sunday. It's a bus service from Billericay to Colchester.

I'd be OK to do it as an unofficial ride on another date if you wanted to though.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
« Reply #16 on: 11 April, 2012, 12:24:22 pm »
We're going to do it on the day, but are travelling there in the (car) as there is no other option. I wish more of these rides were on Saturdays, it would be so much easier!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Chris S

« Reply #17 on: 11 April, 2012, 12:29:12 pm »
We're going to do it on the day, but are travelling there in the (car) as there is no other option. I wish more of these rides were on Saturdays, it would be so much easier!

It might also be easier if we had a functional public transport system that actually worked 7 days a week and served more than just commuters and Important Business People. But I guess that's too much to ask  >:(.

« Reply #18 on: 24 April, 2012, 10:33:40 pm »
Entered the 100, now hoping for a slight rise in temperature. First time for one of these types of rides, will be interesting I hope.

« Reply #19 on: 02 May, 2012, 01:59:42 pm »
ok, got the no (840) got the t shirt, got the start time 740 :(. Now, as long as I don't forget my "Riders must have a FULL water bottle" "NOT ride more than two abreast" "NOT go too fast downhills..." etc etc  :)

« Reply #20 on: 24 May, 2012, 03:54:23 pm »
I'll see some of you lot there then!

Look out for the Yukon carrying too much stuff!

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
« Reply #21 on: 25 May, 2012, 09:34:57 am »
Weather forecast is looking good for this!! (I've probably done it now LOL)

I shall have my YACF buff with me, but since we'll be ta the back, I doubt anyone will see it!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Fast Bill

• Per titanium ad tea room
« Reply #22 on: 25 May, 2012, 05:36:51 pm »
Think I shall ride the 50 though I would've liked another stab at the 100 but work commitments dictate otherwise. As I've had about a month off the Enigma will be thrilled to see the sunshine :)
Apex predator of fruit cake