Author Topic: What's the oldest book in your house?  (Read 4145 times)

Re: What's the oldest book in your house?
« Reply #25 on: 19 April, 2012, 11:37:06 am »
I'm at work, where I've found (in my office)
Use and Abuse of Statistics 1966 reprint of 1961 copyright.
Electronics made simple 1974 reprint of 1965 copyright, in which transistors are somewhat new fangled and integrated circuits are a section within the recent advances chapter.
... computer science has a different definition of ancient.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 19 April, 2012, 11:46:53 am »
Bicycles & Tricycles ~ Archibald Sharp, 1896.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

« Reply #27 on: 19 April, 2012, 11:56:16 am »
I've got a George Orwell book.  It says 1984 on the cover.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #28 on: 19 April, 2012, 12:20:47 pm »
This suggests a spin-off thread (which ICBA to set up): "What's the oldest CD/DVD in your house?"  Specifically, does anyone of a certain age NOT have Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #29 on: 19 April, 2012, 12:25:39 pm »
This suggests a spin-off thread (which ICBA to set up): "What's the oldest CD/DVD in your house?"  Specifically, does anyone of a certain age NOT have Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms?

I en't.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #30 on: 19 April, 2012, 12:29:04 pm »

I en't.

Nor me. However, when I lived in the Great Wen, I knew the man who sold the guitar pictured on the sleeve to Mark Knopfler.

« Reply #31 on: 19 April, 2012, 12:40:11 pm »
We had (not sure if it went out in the latest clearance) a history text book from my Great great grandmother. It dated from ~1890 and therefore had no boer war or WWI etc.

« Reply #32 on: 19 April, 2012, 12:43:19 pm »
Since I passed on some 1830s & 1840s editions to my sister (they belong to our mother, & I was just taking care of them), I don't think I have anything older than my early 1930s Larousse, bought new by my grandmother.

I have lots of electronic facsimiles of older books on CD & HD, though, back to the C16.

Damn! Just checked Arthur Young's Travels in France (PDF) & found it's a 1909 edition, re-edited, not the original from 1792 & 1794.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #33 on: 19 April, 2012, 12:50:11 pm »
"The History of Ancient Europe" dated 1793 appears to be the oldest. I had a feeling there was something older lurking about but I can't find it at the mo.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #34 on: 19 April, 2012, 01:02:06 pm »
A small copy of Burns from the late 1800s.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #35 on: 19 April, 2012, 01:05:32 pm »
Oldest - not sure.

Arthur Rackham's Book Of Pictures - 1913
An ICS correspondence course book from either late 1800s or early 1900s - includes stuff like Victorian plasterwork construction IIRC (in the sense that it was contemporary).
A set of the works of Charles Dickens - they were given to me as a child by a next door neighbour (who's probably 100+ if she's still going - went into a home a few years ago), and she was given them as a child. Funny thing is, our predecessors in out current house had exactly the the same set - from a quick search mebbe 1900.

« Reply #36 on: 19 April, 2012, 01:29:47 pm »
A weird tiny little French almanac-type thing, telling you about astrological gubbins and health things, as far as I recall.  Late 17th C I think.  MiL gave it to me, I think in connection with the modest support I lent during FiL's last days.  Must have another look at it.  Lots of wacky diagrams.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #37 on: 19 April, 2012, 01:34:19 pm »

I suspect I am of a certain age, and I do not have that (though I had the first four albums on vinyl)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 19 April, 2012, 01:35:11 pm »
I'm at work, where I've found (in my office)
Use and Abuse of Statistics 1966 reprint of 1961 copyright.
Electronics made simple 1974 reprint of 1965 copyright, in which transistors are somewhat new fangled and integrated circuits are a section within the recent advances chapter.

At work last week I found a book about London printed in approx 1870.  No exact date given.
Getting there...

« Reply #39 on: 19 April, 2012, 01:41:55 pm »
My previous office had a copy of Valor Ecclesiasticus.  I think they've thrown it out now (or sent it to Kew perhaps)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #40 on: 19 April, 2012, 01:48:10 pm »
Without trekking home to make absolutely sure I think it's probably a route book of day rides from Brummagem from about 1899.  "The Cyclist's Finger-Post" by W. F. Ball (C.T.C Chief Consul for Warwickshire). 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #41 on: 19 April, 2012, 01:49:39 pm »
In our house its probably a Fulham FC review from about 1975 lol......

I love reading, but I don't have any books that are old. Apart from all my running books, I am forced by MrC to pass them on as soon as I have read them as we don't have enough space. I have no time either, so I curently have about 2 boxes unread- they will be my oldest ones!! At least the books get a nice life being read again.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #42 on: 19 April, 2012, 01:55:32 pm »
Not in my house (actually at my mother's at the moment) but I have a copy of the pre-reform Divine Office from about 1650-1700.  It's beautifully illustrated but in Latin (and my Latin isn't good enough to use it).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #43 on: 19 April, 2012, 02:00:07 pm »
Not in my house (actually at my mother's at the moment) but I have a copy of the pre-reform Divine Office from about 1650-1700.  It's beautifully illustrated but in Latin (and my Latin isn't good enough to use it).

Using and understanding are two separate things. ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #44 on: 19 April, 2012, 02:52:40 pm »
I don't have a Dire Straite BiA CD, but I do have it on Vinyl. I think we are about to scrap all the old cassette tapes. (What's that? asked my 15yo daughter). My colleague has an iThingy case in the shape of a compact cassette.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #45 on: 19 April, 2012, 03:27:28 pm »
I have BiA on cassette.   :-[

We have thousands of cassettes and we still listen to many of them (not BiA though).  Every now and then I might pick up a CD of something I've got on cassette, but only if it's v cheap.  At that rate, it might take about 300 years to upgrade our tape collection to CD. 

And then what about our vinyl?  Those first few Rolling Stones albums wouldn't sound the same without all the scratches, and I don't think I could bear to part with some of the green/vomit-coloured/transparent vinyl rarities from my student days. 

And what about our 78s?  If we got rid of them, would we have to ditch the wind-up gramophone?  (Can you see why I'm known in some parts by the name Ludd?)

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #46 on: 19 April, 2012, 03:32:38 pm »
1838 Volume 2 of the Transactions of the Institution of Civil Engineers , with papers by several famous engineers including Bramah, Donkin and Rendel.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #47 on: 19 April, 2012, 08:04:25 pm »
I have a book on wood carving from around 1880-1890 going by the trade adverts in it.
There are other old books but without dates in them but most of my old books are early 20th century.

« Reply #48 on: 19 April, 2012, 09:44:30 pm »
Only 1930ish: Ingenious mechanisms for designers and inventors.

Very cool book tho. First edition, found it in a car boot sale. There seem to be more recent issues also according to interwebs.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #49 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:04:25 pm »
Some 1860s bird books
150-year-old pr0n!
I say, Carruthers, one wouldn't refuse a go on that.

Or have I picked up the wrong end of the stick...? :-[

Whatever rocks your boat  ;)

What I have is something like this