Author Topic: The Brompton has landed!  (Read 14373 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: The Brompton has landed!
« Reply #25 on: 16 July, 2008, 09:06:02 pm »
One little bit of serendipity - the saddle is just the correct height (30.5" for me) when the seatpost is pulled right up to its stop.  This depends on where exactly you fix the Pentaclip, but mine is right at the bottom of the "thin" top part of the tube. No messing with cords between the seatclamp and seatpost binder or whatever tricks other people use.

What's odd is that this is the extended seatpost, and I'm only 5'10-and-a-half"
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #26 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:56:08 pm »
Deeply advanced and quite inadvisable fettling tonight.

Took out back wheel, very loose, spoke tensions all over the place.  Try giving everything a turn to start with and one nipple split in half (I can't use my 4-sided spoke key because they're thick 2.3mm spokes).  Sod this, nothing is lubricated and I don't stand a chance here.

The surplus radial front wheel is sitting there looking at me, going "No, Roger, no!".  Too late.  Its spokes are the right length.  Dismantle rear wheel, remove sprocket and spoke guard, throw away thick spokes.  Dismantle front wheel.  Oil rim spoke holes and spoke threads and build decent, tight, maintainable rear wheel.  2.5 hours' work, and I also managed to fit the dynamo front wheel and get a final test ride in the dark  :D

After my experience of refitting the rear wheel I think I'll put the Marathon Pluses on.  I don't want to be messing with tab washers and SA gear chains on the road.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #27 on: 20 July, 2008, 02:11:28 pm »
Sorry, Andy  ;)

Ivory S3L with Ti extended seatpost and Stelvio tyres:

Oh crap. We must never meet whilst abrompton - mine hasn't arrived yet, but we're gonna look like Brompton buddies if we do when it does.

I was tempted by the raw laquer look, but then settled on black and white, thinking that I hadn't seen one like it. Which I hadn't, till now.

Still, at least I know it's a good look - a very good look. :thumbsup:

I've gone for the flat bars too.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #28 on: 07 August, 2008, 05:31:20 pm »
Do you know what the gear inches are for the 3 different gears?

Do the brakes work well?

rogerzilla

« Reply #29 on: 07 August, 2008, 08:32:38 pm »
With a 14T sprocket, about 44", 59" and 78".  I like them (well, after fixed, anything that makes climbs and descents easier is a luxury).

The brakes are very good indeed.  I really thought they'd be crap because of the long cable runs.

There is a definite lack of rigidity about the bike now I'm riding it alternately with others, but it's a fore-aft motion rather than a torsional motion.  I suspect it's just a combination of the huge stem and rear suspension, and it doesn't affect climbing or power transmission, it's just mildly disconcerting at first.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #30 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:27:49 am »
Hmm. 44" is a bit tall for Bath seeing as I use a folder when I'm knackered or injured. I wish Brompton would use a 7 or 9 speed hub gear. I guess the rear OLN is not 130?

I think the rigidity is inherent to folders. My Dahon is very flexy too.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:34:37 am »
What's odd is that this is the extended seatpost, and I'm only 5'10-and-a-half"

That is odd.  I'm 5'10-and-a-half" and the extended seatpost fits me exactly as described.
Odd, because I have a monstrously long inside leg (35 1/4") so tend to need larger frames.  For instance, apart from the reach, Zipperhead and I have identical setups - and he's at least 4 or 5 inches taller than me!
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #32 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:37:31 am »
It is

I'm the same height but with a standard*  32" inside leg or so, and the standard seatpost is perfect for me.  I don't have it fully extended, neither.

*perfect proportioned for off-the-peg 23" frames :)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:41:35 am »
So Roger and I are a pair of freaks?

:D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #34 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:46:53 am »

I'm sorry, what answer would you like to that ?

:-*

alan

« Reply #35 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:48:37 am »

Yes,in the nicest possible way ;)

rogerzilla

« Reply #36 on: 08 August, 2008, 06:35:41 pm »
OMG...Charlotte is my evil twin.

Back vaguely on topic, the eBay white (!) trolley wheels turned up and have completely solved the heel/calf clearance problem.  £20 was a bit steep, but they've gone for over £30 in the previous two auctions.  I think the seller makes them in his shed.